Hunting Camp Tractor - Need Advice

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I'm looking to purchase a tractor for use at my hunting camp only. I've never owned a tractor before and I'm hoping to get some input from those with more experience in the tractor world.

My budget is no more than $20K out the door (tractor with FEL only). The primary purpose would be using a 5-6" disc and planting food plots from a 1/4 acre to 1 acre. I'd also like to use a bush hog and box blade. We have 15 food plots and most are 1/4 - 1/2 acres. Another member has a tractor so we would both share the load. I'm located in SW Alabama where we have sandy soil and no steep hills.

I don't want to over buy and it would be nice if I had some budget remaining for additional implements. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For a little bit of use as you describe, I'd look at a used tractor. I'd try for one with a basic weight of about 2400 pounds without loader. Horsepower probably not a problem if you can gear down. 25 HP should do fine, but I have one with 18 HP and absolutely no problem from that for heavy work. You can see I have ruled out the BX Kubota for your work, too light and too small..

You can get by with two wheel drive, especially if not a lot of muddy hilly areas, but 4 x 4 otherwise would be good. If snow plowing, a set of chains for either 2 or 4 WD..

Some will fill the rear tires with fluid for weight, but the common calcium chloride is quite corrosive and raises heck with the valve stem. For front end loader work, if you do not fill the tires, carry a rear blade for that same effect.

For attachments also look at used. You don't need the best for occasional work. Any of the common makes would be fine, but here they like orange. Reason: You may need parts some day, so that is very important.

Storage outside is a question. An older tractor won't draw much attention, whereas a newer one might.

For the above, and with a lower hours (under 1,000) (shoot for under 500) tractor, I'd bet you could find a good one (4 x 4) for a little over $10,000 with loader. Blade about $200 and bush hog maybe $400, of course used.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I'm headed to the dealership Friday to look at some used models. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
I'd hire someone to do it for the next 15 yrs and save yourself the headache. Your just asking to get your equipment stolen if you leave it at camp and would probably be money and headaches ahead to hire it out for a grand a yr

lcwheeler

Mar 17, 2014
Birmingham, AL
I purchased l3200dt, rotary cutter, disk harrow, and cultipacker for the same application last month. Came down to l3800 and l3200. I went with l3200 and saved the $2k. Just finished planting soybeans and cutting clover fields; I have no regrets buying the l3200. A couple of things I learned.
1. 4wd is a must pulling a disk harrow, even in relativley flat terrain. You will lose traction before running out of HP with a 5ft disk. A little moisture goes a long way when pulling a disk. Don't think about 2wd tractor in Alabama.
2. I should have purchased a 6ft cutter. Hard to cut close against field edge and trees when using a 5 ft cutter. Need to get cutter wider than the tractor width. I thought the 5 ft would be better for cutting trails and roads, I was wrong.
3. I was concerned about single stage clutch on l3200 vs dual stage clutch on L3800. Dual stage clutch would be better but not worth $2k difference. Use the $2k you save and buy a cultipacker for $1k.

Good used tractors are hard to find and aren't a lot cheaper than new. If you're a tractor novice (like me), then new is the way to go. A 2 - 3 yr old Kubota runs a $1k - $2k cheaper if paying with cash.

Good luch

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
If it were me I'd go with the 3800 for $2000 that's a lot more tractor for the money and and probably $3000 more on resale. A 2 stage clutch is a doll baby vs a single stage. If your already spending 20k throw 2 more in and buy 20% more tractor

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
As much as I hate to say it I have to agree with cerlawson, as I think every one should own a tractor.
But if that is all your going to do with it and not really use a tractor for other things,, then like he said find some one local that already has the equipment and have them do it, cause it sure would suck to buy everything and find out when you came to camp that some tweeker rode off with it to sell for drugs. Not like anything like that has happened before:eek:

09Ram

Equipment
09 Ram 2500, Grand L3830, GST, 6 ft Brushhog, 6 ft Box Blade, 8 ft Disk, Auger
Jun 8, 2013
Tahlequah, Ok
2 of us at our hunting camp have Kubota Tractors. My friend has an L3200 that he uses like a tracked tank/dozer and I have an L3830 I try to take care of while still using it like a tractor should be used. He will leave his tractor and trailer and all equipment at camp sometimes with nobody around but I just can't do that. If I bring it with me in the morning to work it go's home with me that evening. We have never had anything other than the occasional deer stand stolen and we leave 30K campers down there all season sometimes but I feel that the orange tractor might just be a little bit too enticing for the honest tweeker...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Your pretty lucky 09, I know guys that have stuff stole out of the barns when they were at church and the cops found some of it in a equipment auction, they guys that stole it,,, yep tweekers

Scottr88

Equipment
L4600
May 9, 2014
Gonzales,LA
I just purchased a L4600 4wd for the same reason,I know I could have done everything I wanted to do with the 3800.but I made a great deal on the 4600.I love the FEL,my old L2800 didn't have one,and I didn't know what I was missing!!!I think you would be happy with the L3800 or larger,my Dealer quated me $18,600 for the 3800 with FEL.

Attachments

Last edited:

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks again to everyone for the info. I went to the local dealer today and checked out several different models. I decided to get an L3800 HST with a FEL. Only problem is, they don't have one on the lot. They said they will try and get it from another dealer. I would prefer to purchase it from my local dealer but if I have to go elsewhere then so be it. Does anyone know how that works? Would my dealer have to purchase the tractor from another dealer and then sell it to me at a higher mark-up?

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I just purchased a L4600 4wd for the same reason,I know I could have done everything I wanted to do with the 3800.but I made a great deal on the 4600.I love the FEL,my old L2800 didn't have one,and I didn't know what I was missing!!!I think you would be happy with the L3800 or larger,my Dealer quated me $18,600 for the 3800 with FEL.
Wow, that's a great price for the L3800 with a FEL. Was that quote for an HST and 4WD?

Scottr88

Equipment
L4600
May 9, 2014
Gonzales,LA
Wow, that's a great price for the L3800 with a FEL. Was that quote for an HST and 4WD?
That is a 4wd gear shift,with FEL.I didn't ask about the HST,but I think they run a couple thousand more,call Seal tractor in Woodville,MS and ask for Paul.They have the best prices around,its worth the drive. 601- 888-4253

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it were me I'd go with the 3800 for $2000 that's a lot more tractor for the money and and probably $3000 more on resale. A 2 stage clutch is a doll baby vs a single stage. If your already spending 20k throw 2 more in and buy 20% more tractor
I agree, 2 stage clutch is worth every penny.

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
Look into a use B7800. They are a great used tractor to leave at a camp. With FEL price here about $10,000 which would leave you money to buy equipment for it. I would not put a new one at a camp.

David Pidgeon

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Look into a use B7800. They are a great used tractor to leave at a camp. With FEL price here about $10,000 which would leave you money to buy equipment for it. I would not put a new one at a camp.

David Pidgeon
I go along with this. Maybe there is a farm nearby that you can impose upon for storage? Or maybe get a trailer and haul it out there a couple of times a year. You don't want to spend the rest of your life wondering if every L3800 you see is yours. I'll be surprised if your insurance will touch it, if left unattended for long stretches.

bambam31

Equipment
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I understand everyone's concern about leaving a new tractor at the camp. Fortunately, our base camp is not in the woods. It's located in a small community and is surrounded by many houses with mostly retired neighbors who are home all day. We let the two next door neighbors hunt for free because they keep an eye on everything. My tractor wouldn't be visible from the road. My uncle has left his tractor and implements there for over 20 years and we've never had a problem. I guess we're fortunate to have such a good situation.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
You are very fortunate sir and lucky. I live outside a nice little town and it's all old farmers and theirs families. We have started encountering people from 20-30 miles away finding it easy pickings too. It's a bad day when you come home and think your neighbor just borrowed your $10,000 dump trailer Only to ask him a week later when he ll be done with it and realize it was stolen along with some others people's stuff last tues. I insure all my stuff. If it concerns you I checked and my $12000 coverage on my Kubota costs $97 a yr. just something to think abOut.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll be surprised if your insurance will touch it, if left unattended for long stretches.
Insurance, what a joke.

I got my shop and a few other storage buildings broken in to a couple of years ago and I found out the hard way what insurance fine print really means.

Just to sum it up, I got robbed by a piece of garbage thief and them bent over and screwed by my insurance company.

I have a farm policy and in the front it talks about anything used on the farm is covered. If you go to the back of the policy it plainly say if a item is used for any type of agriculture (hay, row crop, cattle, ect.) it's not covered.

I now have my implements, tractors and tools listed on my policy and pay extra so they will be covered. I don't know which is worse, a thief who comes to steal your stuff or the insurance company that we pay only to get ripped off when we need them. No matter what, the working man gets screwed.