HST fluid level

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
While running my B3200 last week to clean debris from the ditches, I noticed the HST was whining a bit louder than normal in high range. Got back to the barn and the fluid on the dip stick was just touching the tip. Easy fix. I went and purchased fluid today and before topping up, I checked the level again. It was just over the high mark. She is parked on a flat surface. Now I’m scratching my head. Fluid and filters were changed at 200 hrs and I now have 234 on her. I may suck some out to get it back to the full level but it has me wondering what is going on. No whine in low or mid range and playing with the rpms and pedal depression will change the whine in high range. Thoughts?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You always pull the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert it into the tube, and pull it out to get an accurate reading.
The level in the tube may not be accurate because of an airlock in the tube.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The whine was on the ride back along the driveway. The thing that got me was the level on the stick once I shut it down being low. I did check multiple times. The today it being above the full mark. I will let things drain out of that dipstick tube and check again in the morning. I used my power bleeder to go in the dipstick tube and suck fluid out. It’s a lot more accurate than popping a drain plug and making a mess. Made sure the suction hose was clean and set it on a towel when I was checking the level IMG_2115.jpeg

I wish we had a sight glass on the HST. Yellow stick and clear fluid sucks.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I bought a bottle of yellow dye with a fluorescent UV ingredient that will fluoresce under a black light. My flashlight has black light capabilities. Unfortunately yellow was the only color available at the time. I will be installing it when I do my next hydro oil change. I got it on Amazon and the cost was $9.29. I just don't know if Kubota has any prohibition on the use of dye with the Super UDT oil.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
John - - - just my experience is that my tractor whines more in high range, period.

Not making light of it, but maybe some hearing protection like @D2Cat suggested would be helpful.

Noticed my BX is whining a little more today in low range. I'm only 100 hours in. Might be time for a fluid change, but more suspect lack of use over the winter since we got virtually no snow. First time really worked since December?

You're only 34 hours in.....could it have been idle over the winter like mine?

As far a fluid level - - I often see the difference between Hi/Lo is about a quart. Bottom of my stick to full is only 1.5 quarts.

Your L3200 takes probably about 6 gallons of fluid?

You saw low/hot and overfull/cold? Intuition would dictate reverse.

Don't know the inner workings of an HST (thank goodness), but in an engine it takes a while before all the motor oil flows back down into the pan.

Maybe the fluid had not all returned to the sump when you checked it hot, and after some time the fluid restored the sump to reflect a little over?

I'm doubting the whine and fluid level variance are related. Merely a coincidence.

I'm betting you and I are just fine.

I know I'll be paying attention to the whining for now. ;)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
John - - - just my experience is that my tractor whines more in high range, period.

Not making light of it, but maybe some hearing protection like @D2Cat suggested would be helpful.

Noticed my BX is whining a little more today in low range. I'm only 100 hours in. Might be time for a fluid change, but more suspect lack of use over the winter since we got virtually no snow. First time really worked since December?

You're only 34 hours in.....could it have been idle over the winter like mine?

As far a fluid level - - I often see the difference between Hi/Lo is about a quart. Bottom of my stick to full is only 1.5 quarts.

Your L3200 takes probably about 6 gallons of fluid?

You saw low/hot and overfull/cold? Intuition would dictate reverse.

Don't know the inner workings of an HST (thank goodness), but in an engine it takes a while before all the motor oil flows back down into the pan.

Maybe the fluid had not all returned to the sump when you checked it hot, and after some time the fluid restored the sump to reflect a little over?

I'm doubting the whine and fluid level variance are related. Merely a coincidence.

I'm betting you and I are just fine.

I know I'll be paying attention to the whining for now. ;)
No hearing protection this round. Quick jump on to clear flooding. Normally I am wearing noise cancelling protection but this is my second time on my tractor since last July. I need to get back in the habit of grabbing protection. (Ear and cigar). I’ll definitely be watching the level. She only got ran for about 5 hrs last spring/summer with my back issues. Lots of work backed up and I’m ready to get going. I appreciate the feedback. I may do a filter change this fall just because I can and cut open the cans to make sure I’m not seeing anything. Probably pull that screen and look it over as well. She lives indoors so rain isn’t an issue and the fluid looked like new that I suctioned out. It just struck me as weird that the stick was dry after running it though.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No hearing protection this round. Quick jump on to clear flooding. Normally I am wearing noise cancelling protection but this is my second time on my tractor since last July. I need to get back in the habit of grabbing protection. (Ear and cigar). I’ll definitely be watching the level. She only got ran for about 5 hrs last spring/summer with my back issues. Lots of work backed up and I’m ready to get going. I appreciate the feedback. I may do a filter change this fall just because I can and cut open the cans to make sure I’m not seeing anything. Probably pull that screen and look it over as well. She lives indoors so rain isn’t an issue and the fluid looked like new that I suctioned out. It just struck me as weird that the stick was dry after running it though.
Yeah, just pay attention to it. If it's only been run a couple times since last July, give it some time to get back in working form.

My little BX only ran 22 hours over the year. No dirt projects required spring or fall. Just mowing last summer. Only blew snow twice (?) over the winter, and it was minimal.

Had times I put over 40 hours just blowing snow......

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
I know i have hearing loss. But i like to hear whats going on running my equipment. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I know i have hearing loss. But i like to hear whats going on running my equipment. Just my 2 cents.
It's not a good thing, but I've never used hearing protection for the same reason.

When I was a wood cutter, I wanted to hear if my cutting partner had a problem.

Once it helped me know he had gotten injured.

If I'd had my hat's muffs on, I'd wouldn't have heard his distress.

Now, I had times I should have had the hat on, irrespective of the muffs. That would have kept a Widow Maker from catching me on the Noggin..... :oops:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Did you by any chance have the front axle engaged on the ride back?
At the start yes but I stopped and disengaged it when I first heard it. I rechecked the level this morning and it was on the full line. Ran it down to the road to clean out the ditches and no issues. I did wear my hearing protection as well. Checked it when I got back and the fluid was a bit over but registering on the stick. I’m gonna go with an air lock that was preventing the fluid from draining back. Thanks everyone for your input