HST filter collapsed

Mark 99

Equipment
L3901
Oct 3, 2019
Hillsdale MI
L3901 50 hour service found the cone in the HST filter collapsed. Fluid cloudy with a consistency of 80/90Wt. Dealer advised fluid looked normal and will appear different than replacement oil. What struck me funny was the original HST filter was not grey as observed on YouTube vids, is this a clue that dealer or Kubota had worked on this unit prior to delivery. The trans has always seemed excessively whiny (brake is not dragging). The morning it was delivered it was 5 degrees could this have collapsed it. The only thing I know to do is to recheck it in 15 to 20 hrs. Can't find any info on bypass. Any thaughts.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cloudy fluid tells me water/moisture.

Just guessing that if the fluid is water-contaminated and frozen, could lead to filter problems. You said it was 5 degrees when delivered.

These units are stored outside at the dealer. Lot of possibilities to get moisture in them. Also, just normal heating/cooling can introduce moisture into the system through the vent.

If it were me, I would change the fluid along with the filters.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Cloudy fluid tells me water/moisture.

Just guessing that if the fluid is water-contaminated and frozen, could lead to filter problems. You said it was 5 degrees when delivered.

These units are stored outside at the dealer. Lot of possibilities to get moisture in them. Also, just normal heating/cooling can introduce moisture into the system through the vent.

If it were me, I would change the fluid along with the filters.
..... and warm the motor up per your owners manual. Warm fluids flow much better than stone cold very viscous fluids.

Milky / cloudy fluid is always an indicator of water contamination. Don't care what the dealer says and I know the dealer in Coldwater and the one in Adrian as well and neither of them (technicians would state what you said). Maybe a salesman would but not the guys in the shop.

A a rule (I live close to you), I start mine (either one) and allow them to warm up while I go have a coffee in the house. I never move either or operate any hydraulic's until the temp gauge has moved off dead cold.

One thing about all hydraulic fluid is, if it's contaminated with water, it will show it by being milky. No matter of it's Kubota fluid or another brand like Shell, they all show water contamination the same way.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
sometimes hydraulic fluid can get aerated-particularly if it's also used in a transmission that has gears that churn up the fluid. Aerated fluid can cause one to "think" that it's got water in it because it'll be kinda cloudy looking.

If you suspect water, check the vent on the top of the transmission, under the seat, left side. Should be a "J" shaped hose on a nipple. If the little hose is missing, get one for it. Gravity pulls water downwards off of the seat and the drippings can get through the open hole if the J-hose ain't there.

As for having a yellow filter, it wouldn't surprise me if they changed it at the dealer prior to purchase--for a few reasons. Sometimes they sit on the lots for a while and will accumulate moisture. A lot of times you can boil the moisture out by working the tractor until the fluid temp gets warm, and stays warm while you're working the tractor.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Drain off about a cup or so of hydraulic oil from one of the drain plugs. Make sure and let the tractor sit for several hours before catching the sample. Put the oil in a plastic bowl or cup and put it in the freezer for at least 12 hours. When you take the oil from the freezer, immediately dump it in a clean drain pan, stir it and see if you have ice crystals or a cube in the bottom of the oil.

If you find any ice, you have water in your hydraulic oil.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mark 99 -

I hope you come back to this and report on your progress.

Just so you know, both lugbolt and whitetiger have forgotten more about Kubota tractors than I will ever know.

They’re experts because they’ve been there. I say “I think “.....they know.....I have great admiration for their knowledge.

What they say is golden in my book. Should be for you too.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mark 99

Equipment
L3901
Oct 3, 2019
Hillsdale MI
I appreciate everyone's input very much. And do plan on responding with the solution when I have it. Communicating with dealer as to why the filters were changed prior to delivery and only one out of four drain plugs has ever been opened. I have more speculation than answers so just reserving judgement and giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt until I have more information.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Mark 99,

It sounds like your tractor is new and under warranty. I'd be a bit upset if it was my new tractor and what wear/damage may have occurred given the filter failure.

It's somewhat common to find a fair amount of metal machining chips during the first filter change. Did any chips or other foreign matter get buy the filter? What happened to the pump if starved for oil? It may not have caused enough damage to show now, but has it's life been compromised? No one will be able to give you an accurate answer based on facts.

If it was my tractor, I would save the used oi and filter, send oil out for analysis and be communicating with Kubota corporate customer service. The dealer has too much skin in the game to be objective.

Good luck and hope you come to a resolution that satisfactory to you.

Mark 99

Equipment
L3901
Oct 3, 2019
Hillsdale MI
Well, here we go.....the service manager at this particular dealer is not putting his hand up for anything and denies any knowledge or record of the filters being changed prior to delivery and believes they must have received the tractor that way from Kubota. Does anyone have information on a regional rep for Kubota for South East Michigan. I have a very ill new 24,000 dollar machine and just not right or fair that I'm left holding the bag on this. Any comments appreciated.

Mark 99

Equipment
L3901
Oct 3, 2019
Hillsdale MI
Let me clarify for the tread what I'm going through. Purchased new l3901 just under two years ago. Made complaints to dealer hydrostat to whiny. I start to do the 50 hr service and find the HST filter has a collapsed center cone. The fluid is way to viscous (thicker than 80/90wt) and appears contaminated (very cloudy and white). Gray factory filters had already been replaced and only one of the four drain plugs has ever been removed (and not even the lowest point drains). Dealer claims no responsibility and claims they must have recieved the tractor from Kubota that way. Now I'm left dealing with a tractor that's been contaminated for two years. (In my opinion, sample not sent yet). Does anyone have any other thaughts other than involving Kubota at this point before I do anything more. Since the finger is being pointed at them let them inspect the three drains that have never been opened, filters replaced already, and let them do sampling. What a mess.

Mark 99

Equipment
L3901
Oct 3, 2019
Hillsdale MI
Let me clarify for the tread what I'm going through. Purchased new l3901 just under two years ago. Made complaints to dealer hydrostat to whiny. I start to do the 50 hr service and find the HST filter has a collapsed center cone. The fluid is way to viscous (thicker than 80/90wt) and appears contaminated (very cloudy and white). Gray factory filters had already been replaced and only one of the four drain plugs has ever been removed (and not even the lowest point drains). Dealer claims no responsibility and claims they must have recieved the tractor from Kubota that way. Now I'm left dealing with a tractor that's been contaminated for two years. (In my opinion, sample not sent yet). Does anyone have any other thaughts other than involving Kubota at this point before I do anything more. Since the finger is being pointed at them let them inspect the three drains that have never been opened, filters replaced already, and let them do sampling. What a mess.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mark, what a situation. The dealer should be the one going to bat for you. If there are a small one store dealer they may be inexperienced on handling this problem. If they are a multi-store operation they should, for sure, be working on a resolution.

I'd be inclined to go the the dealer and speak to the principal owner/owners and tell them the details of the problem and ask them how to handle it. If they gave me an answer indicating they are not going to do anything, I'd simply ask them how much money they had in their advertising budget. Then ask them if they would like to waste all their advertising dollars. Because my next move is to contact all the local TV stations "call for action" departments and let them know how you handle business! I'd ask What's your choice? The proceed in what ever direction I needed to go. And right after the TV stations would be Kubota Corp. or maybe both at the same time, once the owner turns his head.

Mark 99

Equipment
L3901
Oct 3, 2019
Hillsdale MI

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
HST whine is "subjective". They make noise naturally. Thus, if there is nothing broken, kubota (or any other manufacturer) is not going to disassemble it looking for something that might not exist.

The fluid issue? I can't comment further on that because I have not personally seen it.

Mark, to get kubota involved directly, you're going to have to call customer service which is in Dallas. They may redirect you to the division office for your locality; and they may put you in contact with your regional service manager.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I find the unpainted filters to be curious. The collapsed (?) filter is also odd, as I have only seen them blow out at the seal from pressure rather than vacuum.
I would likely begin with asking the dealer to file a warranty claim. When refused, you could then speak to the Kubota Rep.

You could also just replace the fluid and filters (which would be the end result of a warranty claim). I can't imagine a dealer not being willing to replace the fluid and filters when presented with your symptoms. Bad business on their part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro