Howdy - "New" L2850DT owner

jteague

Equipment
1986 L2850DT 5' Y Line Rotary Cutter; 5' Box Scrape
Jun 10, 2013
Rock Spring, GA
Howdy all,
I just purchased (last week) a 1986 L2850DT with 595 hours. I'm the 3rd owner, and it looks like it was very well cared for. The last owner had taken it for a full service at the Kubota dealer (All fluids and filters ... provided the receipt) ... and also had to the steering pump (maybe not the right term?) replaced.

It came with a 5' rotary cutter (Y Line) that is also in good shape.

It cranks and runs amazingly well and pulls the 5' bush hog with no problems in pretty thick grass -- just did a few rounds at the old home place (chest high pasture).

If you're inclined to discuss such things (I have searched here and other places prior to purchase) ... here's what's on my mind so far:
1) wish I'd have found one with a loader ... but that wasn't in the budget -- any advice on adding one later (suggested models / brands?) vs. trading up to a different tractor with a loader later
2) any things to look for that may need attention. (only 595 hrs ... but 27 years old !)
3) Any advice on what size box scrape ... I'm thinking 5' or 6' ... and how much should a used one cost?
4) probably need new tires soon ... any good/bad experiences?

This looks like a good group with lots of info to offer.

Y'all have fun.

Jesse

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Welcome!

I have a 3750, same vintage, just larger. Very good old tractors!

1) No help here, just get one when you can.

2) Change all fluides and filters.

3) 5' box blade for that size tractor.

4) Tires, I buy local and made in USA when possible.

jteague

Equipment
Jun 10, 2013
Rock Spring, GA
Thanks Bluegill!

If there's a fluid in the tractor, it's been changed (along with any associated filters). Hopefully I'll run across a good used box scrape pretty soon.

JT

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welcome jt,,, The terms and good and used, are usually not in the same sentence, well used is more like it,, not that finding a good used one doesn't happen it does,, just never to me, but that's another story,,lol,,, Keep looking and something will turn up and if your half ways good with a welder even something not quit good can be made GOOD :D
And remember we like pictures, lots a pitchers as us from Da Burgh say:D

jteague

Equipment
Jun 10, 2013
Rock Spring, GA
Welcome jt,,, The terms and good and used, are usually not in the same sentence, well used is more like it,, not that finding a good used one doesn't happen it does,, just never to me, but that's another story,,lol,,, Keep looking and something will turn up and if your half ways good with a welder even something not quit good can be made GOOD :D
And remember we like pictures, lots a pitchers as us from Da Burgh say:D
Pictures ! I knew I forgot something. Let's see if I can get the one picture I have posted.

Half-way good with a welder ... that's just about where I am :)

Attachments

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon

jteague, might try these guys for a FEL, www.Coldwatertractors.com. I have no connection to them, but the price doesn't seem too bad.
Shipping might be a show stopper, but you never know. Lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum, hang around and you'll learn a lot and get lots of good info, these guys are great.

BTW, welcome to the orange community:D

Dick