How wide of a tiller to cover tracks of an L2501?

Rick James

Jan 2, 2018
Northern IL
www.bowhunting.com
Hey guys. New here, and in final stages of buying my first tractor.

I’m hoping I can get by with a L2501 simply because of price. How wide of a tiller will it take to cover the tire tracks of an L series tractor?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Ding ding, we have a winner^^^^^^^^

Again, we need a sticky to be put up! Full model, transmission type, amount of hours, open or closed station, tire package, maintenance pulled and what you have done or tried to fix the problem.

Pat

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pat, here's a list that the "DieselPlace" forum uses. I have a '95 Chev half ton with 6.5 and have been on that forum frequently. They ask anyone with questions about their truck to fill out the forum.

Maybe something similar that would apply to tractors could help posters know what to say.

The Diagnostic Checklist:
Please fill out to best of your knowledge.

1. Describe the problem you are having in detail:

2. Year of truck/engine.
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers).
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......).
5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD.
6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit)
7. Air Filter condition (visual check).
8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed).
9. Location of PMD/FSD? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper).
9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor).
9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire.
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _____ °

11. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent
11a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes/No
12.Have you scanned for engine codes? Yes/No
12a. List exact results on engine codes.

13. Condition of Battery terminals (removed, cleaned and tightened).
14. Known condition and age of Batteries.
14a. Are batteries a matched set of same age?
15. Condition of Major Grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened)
15a Have the batteries been individually load tested?

16. Does engine crank, or "turn over"?
16a. Does engine start and run?
17. If engine does not start- Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
18. Does your Wait To Start light come on?
18a.Number of seconds WTS light is lit.
19. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer).

20. Are you experiencing Stalling?
20a. Describe the event (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump, etc...)
20b. Do you notice loss of dash or instruments?
21. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions.
22. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now?
23. Lift pump test - Describe results.

24. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/No
25. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/No
26. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts? Yes/No
27. Have you used the block heater? Does it affect engine starting? (only try for starting problems).
28. Are all glow plugs in proper working order?

29. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/No
30. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
31. Turbo check out - Pass/Fail
32. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-Diesel, #2 Diesel, SVO/WVO, other
32a. If running Veggie Oil fuel setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade or packaged system).
33. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list.
34. Upon unscrewing fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? Yes/No
35. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having?
36. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Yes I agree, but to partially to degrade my own statement, I am also on the Trip advisor Maui forum and we have a huge list of FAQ's and still people don't read the list or do a search!:(

Pat

Dexter

Equipment
L4701
Aug 27, 2016
Bay City, WI

I’m hoping I can get by with a L2501 simply because of price. How wide of a tiller will it take to cover the tire tracks of an L series tractor?
Wow. Nice reply to a guys first post,.....:confused:

Rick, Minimum tire width shows 55.1inches. Welcome to OTT and have fun with your new tractor

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME

Hello Rick, I have an old 1974 L260 thats 26 hp, and its has adjustments that can be made for different needs in agriculture. We own a hilly woodlot so I have them set at the wider setting, its not easy adjusting with tires loaded with beet juice. If you look at how you would use it and check to see what the normal setting is to see if that would meet your stability needs. Then see what it would take for a tiller. I would have to adjust my width or try run at least a 6 ft wide tiller with my little tractor. I hope the L2501 works out for you, I sat on one this fall but had to get off before I began to like it to much!

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio

Hi Rick. You might look at the Land Pride 66" rototiller. I run one on my B2650, and my buddy runs one on his L2501. Both tractors run it no problem and plenty of width to cover your tracks.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
so you don't have the tractor yet?
so..ask the seller...the dealer if it's new.

Measure it when you get it / before delivery.

Also, HP and weight are factors as much as width, and tillers come in two rotations and several grades as well as many diff brands.

If you read the info on some you'll find they say they are X" but the 'working width' is often different by several inches.

And as stated, some tires/wheel/tractors have adjustable widths, so the actual width you need will depend on YOUR tractor and how it's setup.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho

The info I have seen on rear wheel width is to the center line of the tire. The width of the track is beyond that. You also should realize that on most tractors, the wheel spacing is adjustable. Also the tire width is a variable. So it's hard to give a definitive answer to this question. It's like asking "How long is a rope?"

Go to the dealership and look at a tractor that is equipped with the same tires and wheel position you are buying. Then measure from outside edge of the left side tire to the outside edge of the right side. If you can't do that, then wait until you get your tractor and measure it.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Wow. Nice reply to a guys first post,.....:confused:

Rick, Minimum tire width shows 55.1inches. Welcome to OTT and have fun with your new tractor
I understand your thoughts, but some of us have to know what the original poster has or we are guessing. I don't like to speculate or waste time!

In this case tire/wheel package and transmission can make a difference. But for the most part a 60" tiller would cover the tracks. With that said the a Woods RT60.40 tiller which is a 60" working width, per specs the bottom tractor PTO hp is 20hp. Now the per Kubota specs a L2501 with a gear drive will produce 20.5 PTO horse and if has the Hydro than that number now is 19 PTO is now below spec. And we have not even talked about soil conditions.

This is the reason why we need all of the information to provide the proper suggestion.

FYI, I have been working 25 years at my dealership, I have learned to do
your homework before suggesting a product package.

Pat

scrhino48

Equipment
kubota l2501

I have a 60 inch tiller on my L2501 and it does great. Just remember to go slow while using tiller so the ground gets till up good. Dont go deep on first pass just get a feel then go from there.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
that's the trade off..when you get a bigger than maybe you shoulda implement.

As a dealer if he sells you something 'too big' and it won't do 'everything' you want you'll be unhappy and blame him for it.

I need a brush hog..rule of thumb i've see is 1' per 5 pto hp. well..my L175 has 15 pto hp...so what, a 3 foot mower? HA! and the tractor is 4' wide.

so probably a 4' mower..BUT it depends on what I plan to mow..1" saplings? 2" flat terrain or some nasty hill side? 4 foot tall brush, rocky land...LOTS of variables there.

In my case it's too keep weeds down in a horse pasture. 5' would probably be just fine - it has a 5' finish mower - but a brush hog has a good bit of mass to get moving, is hung out back not under the belly..BUT i can mow up to 11" high and make multiple passes if things get too thick..

BUt is that how the tool is supposed to be used?

Like shoveling a snowy driveway - you can do it with a teaspoon..but not in 20 minutes. So get a bigger shovel..and in 20 minutes you may be dead tired..or dead, if you try to get it done quickly. Or get a REALLY big shovel..and then you can't lift it if you put much snow on it, so you work more at moving the shovel than the snow.

so..48" tiller one pass..60" two pass and add front weight to the tractor...or go 72" and maybe you can't do anything.

I"m still torn between 48" and 60"...would I rather mow faster or slower? (faster..less boring). If I need to whack down big stuff i'm more likely to do with the 48" hog..so more capablities. and less stress on the tractor too.
I have a 60 inch tiller on my L2501 and it does great. Just remember to go slow while using tiller so the ground gets till up good. Dont go deep on first pass just get a feel then go from there.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Pat, here's a list that the "DieselPlace" forum uses. I have a '95 Chev half ton with 6.5 and have been on that forum frequently. They ask anyone with questions about their truck to fill out the forum.

Maybe something similar that would apply to tractors could help posters know what to say.

The Diagnostic Checklist:
Please fill out to best of your knowledge.

1. Describe the problem you are having in detail:

2. Year of truck/engine.
3. Odometer reading (indicate miles or kilometers).
4. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......).
5. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD.
6. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit)
7. Air Filter condition (visual check).
8. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed, mileage since changed).
9. Location of PMD/FSD? (ex. on pump/remote over intake, behind bumper).
9a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from which vendor).
9b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire.
10. Outside Temperature (C or F). _____ °

Brings back memories when I owned a 2000 model K2500 with a 6.5L. I had PMD mounted on frt bumper trying to keep it cooler.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, I wanted a Chev diesel PU just because... Found one in KC that seemed to be what I was wanting. The couple had spent money on PMD and other things including a fancy stereo, and couldn't spend any more on it after the last time it quit while she was on the way to the dentist.

Had to have it hauled to my house which cost $250. Folks thought I was crazy! Buying a truck that didn't run and pay to get it home.

The problem was the injectors. All of them had very low pop off pressure. The Turbo shop asked if the engine ran when he was testing them. Replaced them all, and put the PMD in the bumper! Replace the lift pump with one off of a 5.9 Cummins and a manual switch.

The previous owners had taken it to a repair shop and they determined there was a problem in the transmission because the noise was real obvious until about 1500 RPM.

It's a '95. There's been a couple of times guys will come over and ask me if I know I'm pumping diesel! Has a Hiniker snow plow mount on the front, Miller portable welder in the back, and a bale spike.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Saw my first PU with a spike last fall. Eastern WA farming town. I know why but how? It seems like you would need something with a squeeze to load it.

Lincoln Hill

Equipment
Soon to be L2501
Mar 22, 2018
Huntington, Vermont
Hi Rick. You might look at the Land Pride 66" rototiller. I run one on my B2650, and my buddy runs one on his L2501. Both tractors run it no problem and plenty of width to cover your tracks.
What kind of tires are you running and at what position, narrow or wide? And what kind of soil do you have? I ask because our soil in Vermont is pretty rocky. I'm planning to buy a 2501 HST with R1 tires set at the wide position. I'm curious if the Land Pride RTA1258 will suffice or if the track is too wide? I'm concerned it won't be able to spin the RTA1266 with enough power through the rocky soil. But maybe I'm wrong....

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
What kind of tires are you running and at what position, narrow or wide? And what kind of soil do you have? I ask because our soil in Vermont is pretty rocky. I'm planning to buy a 2501 HST with R1 tires set at the wide position. I'm curious if the Land Pride RTA1258 will suffice or if the track is too wide? I'm concerned it won't be able to spin the RTA1266 with enough power through the rocky soil. But maybe I'm wrong....
I am running turfs on my B2650, and my buddy has r4s on his L2501. Not sure how wide the r1s will go. Your dealer should know that number. Both tractors handle the RTR 1266 no problem, but we are not in the rocky type soil you are talking about can sure make a difference. We have good soil with just have a few rocks here and there. Make sure you set up your slip clutch properly, especially in your rocky soil.

mic214

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 W/cab brushhog, box blade & pallet forks
May 11, 2014
Colorado
Howdy Rick,

Welcome to OTT's!

I am a tractor novice too and I am looking to get my first tractor as well. It's a toss up between what I want vs. what I need vs. what I can afford. I have settled on an 'L' series, but I have to work the numbers out to see what size I will end up with. As this will be a one time purchase for me, I am leaning towards getting the biggest tractor I can afford now and then picking up attachments as I go.

Good luck with your tractor purchase and let us know what you end up with!