how to replace the fuel cock on L185DT

hankster

Equipment
L185DT
Mar 8, 2018
Pollock Pines, California USA
Hello, I need to replace a leaky fuel cock on my L185DT; nervous about doing it?
Is there an article available to refer to? It looks to me from the view in my owners manual, that I will need to remove the fuel tank in order to access and remove the fuel cock. I also know that there are some videos available, but I don't know if there is one on this particular topic.
Any help will be so appreciated.
Hank

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The fuel petcock screws into the bottom left hand (sitting in seat) front corner of the tank. Next to it is a drain plug which looks like a bolt. These both screw into bosses welded into the tank. I can’t recall but I think they have sealing washers not tapered thread. You should look to be sure since you will want to replace them with new washers.

The petcock has a hose that goes through the tractor to the filter housing. You can use that hose to drain the tank into a bucket since the drain plug would make a mess.

I believe the petcock could be unscrewed on the tractor but I removed my tank for other reasons and removed the petcock after removing the tank. Tank removal is not too difficult if you have taken the steering wheel off recently- that is definitely not fun. The steering wheel may be difficult to remove because it is on a tapered shaft and may be rusty if it sits outside much.

I also think you may be able to rebuild the petcock. I just cleaned mine out.

If you need more information just ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
As Russell stated the petcock can be rebuilt. If it is not leaking where it screws into the tank no need to remove it. Just remove the snap ring on the face of it and screw the valve out. Just one oring to replace and it's available from Kubota. You can remove the complete petcock from the tank without removing the tank from the tractor. Not easy but it can be done. Good luck.
Lance

hankster

Equipment
L185DT
Mar 8, 2018
Pollock Pines, California USA
Hello
As Russell stated the petcock can be rebuilt. If it is not leaking where it screws into the tank no need to remove it. Just remove the snap ring on the face of it and screw the valve out. Just one oring to replace and it's available from Kubota. You can remove the complete petcock from the tank without removing the tank from the tractor. Not easy but it can be done. Good luck.
Lance
Thanks for the replies. Wish I had seen this before I proceeded. Tractor parts told me the "guts" for the fuel cock were not available so I had to buy a complete new one; quite expensive. It has not arrived as yet, so I may go back to parts and ask for just the o ring you mentioned. I will probably be in touch when I start the actual repair. I just went out and looked at it after reading your input and it does look like I should be able to disconnect the gas line to the fuel pump (after draining the tank) and then unscrew the fuel cock. I will probably replace the fuel line from the fuelcock to the fuel pump. It's hard to tell where the leak is coming from since it continues to leak with the fuelcock shut off.
Hank