How not to abuse your HST? Bx23S

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
All excellent points above.
Regarding 2WD vs. 4WD: If you are working on a hill, you may want to be in 4WD going up or down because if the weight lifts the back wheels enough to lose traction, then in 2WD you have no breaks... and potentially a run away tractor. Your tractor only has breaks on the rear tires; and if your drive system is only engaged with the rear tires, then it can get scary quick when they lift up (drop you load to the ground quickly).

So what was said about 2WD in the posts above is true, but you should also factor in safety also... and in the case I describe above, safety trumps other considerations.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
What are the negatives for leaving it in 4wd if you live in hill country?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
No negatives .....just make sure that you are in/on a situation that is NOT firm.....grass will give, gravel will give, dirt will give.......cement and asphalt will not! Turning sharp with 4wd is harder than turning with 2wd...that might be the only downside.;)

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
No negatives .....just make sure that you are in/on a situation that is NOT firm.....grass will give, gravel will give, dirt will give.......cement and asphalt will not! Turning sharp with 4wd is harder than turning with 2wd...that might be the only downside.;)
That sounds perfect for me then. Thank you.

Larry0071

Dec 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pa
I agree with what your hearing. I have an 11 year old UTV and my tractor and for the most part they in 4x4 all of the time unless I come up onto the blacktop driveway. I stop where my lower level driveway (limestone) meets the upper level (blacktop) and change to 2WD. But living life in 4wd in limestone, grass, dirt/clay trails and loose rock has had zero negative effects.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
The others have it right. Pavement may be a little harder on it in some circumstances... however, a good rule of thumb:
Ask youself: Would it be bad if I lost the ability to stop or slow down (with HST or brakes) in the situation I am in right now or will be in? And is there a chance I will be doing something that could cause me to have reduced traction in the rear (lifting, steep hill, rough and bouncy hill, loss of friction on rear wheels, etc.)? If the answer is yes or could be yes while working in the near future; then it must be in 4WD.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

jose263

Equipment
BX25
Jan 7, 2018
Biloxi
Hi This is my 1st post to this forum. I traded in my shovel and wheelbarrow for a 2009 BX25 last week. I'm eager to get to work and to learn what not to do.
This post seems a good place to start. Already learned that the go forward pedal isn't the gas pedal. That will take some getting used to...
BTW: My BX has a fogged up dash and seller is replacing the instrument console but I think I will still not have a Tach - is there an aftermarket tach that can be installed?
Glad I found this site

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi This is my 1st post to this forum. I traded in my shovel and wheelbarrow for a 2009 BX25 last week. I'm eager to get to work and to learn what not to do.
This post seems a good place to start. Already learned that the go forward pedal isn't the gas pedal. That will take some getting used to...
BTW: My BX has a fogged up dash and seller is replacing the instrument console but I think I will still not have a Tach - is there an aftermarket tach that can be installed?
Glad I found this site
Jose,

welcome - in the future, make a new post - as opposed to "starting" another topic in someone else's. No big deal - just etiquette.

The BX25 is a fantastic machine and is almost bullet proof. One sore subject is IF left outside - the moisture WILL get inside the dash and cause major problems. The fog is one problem - the corroded connectors is another - IF the person is replacing the console.....it should ALL work!

Have you bought this yet? If not - check under the machine - almost directly under the seat ( you have to look under the tractor) and see the white fan blade that is tucked up under....you might need a flashlight to see this fan. CHECK to see that all the blades are on this fan. IF there is any blades missing ....then make the seller fix that too!

There are 100's of us here on this site that have your machine - we can help you in anyway you can think or ask.:)

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
What about the undercarriage of the BX23s

Is there anything under the tractor to be careful with?

reason I ask is,
I had to drive through about a foot of snow the other day ... getting the tractor out of the shed..

4WD got me through fine... just curious.. I thought I remember reading about a screen or cooler underneath
thanks

Larry0071

Dec 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yes there is, stick your head underneath your tractor in the center and look back a following the drive shaft. You'll see a white plastic fan that is only minimally protected from a stick or something coming exactly straight up vertically from the bottom. Anything coming from a forward Direction pointing backward will drive straight back and rip the fan blades off of your fan and you may not know it. That will cost you about a $6,000 repair bill to replace your entire rear transmission axle assembly. You can either buy from bxpanded or you can weld up your own skid plate system for it to protect that. Kubota did a very very poor job of protecting that cooler. On the B unit tractors they do not have that cooler mounted down there, for some reason on the BX they left it very vulnerable.

Excuse any misspellings are odd words, I'm using my Android phone and voice to text.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk