How much is too much weight?

OldKid

Equipment
L4610, Woods rake, box blade, brush hog, Blue Diamond grapple, LP spreader
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
I have an L4610. I am wondering if I can offload pallets of pelletized lime that weigh around 2900 lbs each (70 bags at 40 lbs each, plus pallet) with my FEL. The pallets will be on a flatbed trailer that is about 2' up from the ground, so I will not even begin to approach full height. I will also have a 6' brush hog on the 3 point as a counterweight. The forks I have are rated for 2,000 lbs, but I just need to get the pallets from the trailer to the ground.
The specs for the tractor are as follows:
Breakout force (at 500mm): 3,055 lbs
Lift to full height (at pin): 2,470 lbs
Lift to full height (at 500mm): 1,830 lbs
The lime quarry cannot break pallets down to fewer bags and even if I have them deliver, they require that I be able to offload. My only other option is to break the pallets down myself, but I'd prefer not to handle the bags more than once, if possible.
I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts on this.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I would say no. 500mm is less than 20", the centre of mass is likely to be at least 2' away from the pin. The breakout force is irrelevant in this case (you need to lift, not curl). I don't know what your lifting force is at 2' above the ground, but at full height it's more than 1,000 lbs less than the weight of your proposed load.

I think you will need to transfer 1/2 of each pallet load by hand onto empty pallets.

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Thanks Torch. I think I knew this before even asking about it, but I just didn't want to face those 40 lb bags by hand. I appreciate the voice of reason.

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
You may be able get the pallets off the trailer using the curl vs lift. I have used curl for slight lift to get pallet off a truck that by BX could not directly lift.

Big concern is those pallets are almost 50% over the rated load of the forks.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
2900 pound skids ain't gonna happen with your unit. The loader will go on bypass before you even attempt to lift one.

2900 pounds is a stretch for my M9000's let alone yours. My tractors weigh plenty enough but my loaders aren't rated for that. They might not go on bypass but I still wouldn't attempt it.

I can do 2000 pounds anytime and 2500 on a good day but not 2900 pounds.

Time for some 'armstrong' on your part and I know sacks of lime are a pizzer to deal with, I do all the time.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
What's your tractor weight, 3,600lbs wet with the loader? Now is a good time for your wife to top up the life insurance policy...or buy a bigger tractor and/or forklift.

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Thanks for the advice, guys. All of it was spot on. I got the four 2900 lb pallets back from the quarry and didn't even attempt to lift them. I off-loaded about 900 lbs by hand, 40 lbs at a time, from each one and then, verrry slowly and verrrry carefully, I was able to lift and curl them and move them to the barn. I only have a couple years experience on my tractor and, until yesterday, had not pushed its limits. Yesterday, I learned its limits!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Aw, a little bit of exercise never hurt anyone.... glad you're safe and NO damage !
have to ask, what's the lime used for ? Soil sweetening ??

just curious

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Great to hear. Now you need to save the pallet so the next delivery you can just move 900 lbs of it to the other pallet and move them both with the tractor if you wanted to.

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Look at the side of your loader there will be a LA ####, that number is the capacity of the loader in kilos. If you do not already have a copy of the operator manual for that loader get it and read it. It is full of useful information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Look at the side of your loader there will be a LA ####, that number is the capacity of the loader in kilos. If you do not already have a copy of the operator manual for that loader get it and read it. It is full of useful information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is correct info, but I have found that...due to the reductions necessary for pin-location vs bucket or forks... one can disregard the conversion from kilos to poungs (1-2.2) and simply use the LA model number and use it for a pounds-limit prediction.
Example: My LA-1002 works out to 1002 kilos which equals 2209 lbs.... but the fact that the bucket or forks sits in front of the pins.... the actual amount it can be expected to lift is 2,000 lbs (maximum by the way). I must have weight on the 3-point hitch to accomplish that safely however. I usually use the rotary-cutter or the box-blade for a counter-weight when lifting heavy loads.

Hope that helps. (IE, double your FEL model number to determine it’s max capability in pounds.)

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
That actually is a good rule of thumb to know. It also tells me that I exceeded the limits of my tractor and FEL. My FEL is an LA854 and I offloaded four approximately 2000-lb loads, not including forks and pallets. That said, I did have a 6-foot brush hog counterbalance on the 3-point.

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Greensville, I cleared three fields that were previously hardwoods. When I had the soil tested, I had ph levels in the 4.5-5 range, with recommendations from VA Tech to add up to NINE TONS of lime in one of the fields. Of course, you can't do that all in one shot, so I'm starting with 1.5 tons per acre and then I'll check sweetness again in the fall - assuming the virus doesn't strike.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Greensville, I cleared three fields that were previously hardwoods. When I had the soil tested, I had ph levels in the 4.5-5 range, with recommendations from VA Tech to add up to NINE TONS of lime in one of the fields. Of course, you can't do that all in one shot, so I'm starting with 1.5 tons per acre and then I'll check sweetness again in the fall - assuming the virus doesn't strike.
What kind of spreader do you have? I looked for a used one and found nothing but junk. I ended up paying to have it spread which turned out to be pretty cheap as apposed to buying a new spreader.

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
What kind of spreader do you have? I looked for a used one and found nothing but junk. I ended up paying to have it spread which turned out to be pretty cheap as apposed to buying a new spreader.
I tried that route, but my fields were tough to access and only totaled around four acres. They told me for a full year that conditions were too wet to get a truck in there, but I think my job was just too small to bother with. I bought a Landpride FSP700 for waaaaaay too much money, but I could not, for the life of me, find a used spreader in decent condition. I'll use it four or five times a year, so I'm hoping to get my money's worth out of it over time.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I tried that route, but my fields were tough to access and only totaled around four acres. They told me for a full year that conditions were too wet to get a truck in there, but I think my job was just too small to bother with. I bought a Landpride FSP700 for waaaaaay too much money, but I could not, for the life of me, find a used spreader in decent condition. I'll use it four or five times a year, so I'm hoping to get my money's worth out of it over time.
I missed it where you said it was pelletized lime. I was thinking of the powder type. That is how we did it the last time. My dad bought a drop box spreader and as soon as we were done with it he sold it. But that was years ago.

OldKid

Equipment
Aug 14, 2017
Boyce, VA
Yes, the pulverized kind is way less expensive. Good idea to buy the spreader and sell it when he was finished, as long as he got most of his money back out of it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If YOUR soil needs PH treatment... chances are your neighbors do also. Sounds like an opportunity. ;)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Whenever you look at your loader's max rated capacity, figure on less. Quick Attach implements like forks push the weight even further away form the pins, and often forks outweigh a bucket. Whatever the weight difference of the forks vs bucket needs to be deducted.

I tried to lift a 275 gallon water tote out of the back of my pickup, loaded with about 250 gallons of water. The total weight was 2,185lbs. My MX4800 loader is rated for 2,275lbs at max height at the pin, or 1,691lbs at 500mm at full height. I thought I'd be able to get it out of the back of the truck, nowhere near full height, and set it on the ground. Not a chance. At this point I just don't fill the tote as full...I think 200 gallons is doable.