How much for new loader pins?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would clean them up with a wire wheel and clean the holes up with a piece of red Scotch-Brite attached to a drill. I would spray penetrating oil in the holes while working the drill motor back and forth. (Not too much though, just to clean them up a bit)

(I keep an old "wheel cylinder hone" laying around for just such an occasion, but the Scotch Brite works pretty good).

Replace the zerks.

Then wipe, clean, grease, reinstall and check for 'Play'.

My bet is that they will be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I would write Kubota to complain that the zerks fell out or broke off without ever being used...
I blame the dealership that I bought it from. I requested service before delivery and they at least hit the convenient zerks, but obviously ignored the missing and clogged zerk.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I blame the dealership that I bought it from. I requested service before delivery and they at least hit the convenient zerks, but obviously ignored the missing and clogged zerk.
Those rusty pins didn’t “just happen” recently…those been rustin’ a long long time.

Greasing tractors is a job some people simply don’t like to do…. and dealerships employ some of those guys. When I dropped my K off at the dealership for a new steering cylinder installation…they did a “complimentary wash and grease” job.

Result? : A wet tractor seat and some kind of red grease ..ON TOP of SOME zerks.… and lots of zerks still sittin’ with black greasy dust on ‘em …just like they were when I first loaded that tractor onto the trailer to take it in.

(I do my own greasing and do it about every few months …because I only put about 50-75 hours/year on the machine.)

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I appreciate @Soopitup attention to detail.

He or she is right; Loader swing points are a bearing surface.

A small engines main bearings turn at usually greater tham 500 RPM. Revolutions Per Minute.

A loader hinge point might see 500 revolutions in the entire life of the tractor. Or 500 Revolutions Per 10 Years. RPD. Revolutions Per Decade.

Have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I give my Salute to the micro thinkers. 🙂🍻

We probably wouldn't have cell phones if we didn't have micro - thinkers.
I have to respectfully disagree sir :)

Depending what you're using your tractor for the loader can see much more use than that.

Every time you pick the loader up is a rotation. That means at minimum every time you start and store the tractor you're picking the loader up and putting it down.
That's two Revolutions each time you run your tractor minimum.

I have 125 hours in my machine right now and I've probably done more than 500 revolutions with the loader.
Five revolutions per hour at 100 hours gives you 500. I haven't used my load of the entire time but there have definitely been many times I've used it more than five Revolutions in one hour.

How many times do you think you raise and lower the loader and curl using a grapple or a Baler or pallet Forks or the bucket?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have to respectfully disagree sir :)

Depending what you're using your tractor for the loader can see much more use than that.

Every time you pick the loader up is a rotation. That means at minimum every time you start and store the tractor you're picking the loader up and putting it down.
That's two Revolutions each time you run your tractor minimum.

I have 125 hours in my machine right now and I've probably done more than 500 revolutions with the loader.
Five revolutions per hour at 100 hours gives you 500. I haven't used my load of the entire time but there have definitely been many times I've used it more than five Revolutions in one hour.

How many times do you think you raise and lower the loader and curl using a grapple or a Baler or pallet Forks or the bucket?
Cheers! 🍻

I forgot to mention...

Velocity on a bearing.

But it's not worth agreeing to disagree. You win. You got me on a good night. LOL. I'm at that place of not giving a shoot. I'd buy you a beer or soda just for your interest in argument.

God Bless.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Cheers! 🍻

I forgot to mention...

Velocity on a bearing.

But it's not worth agreeing to disagree. You win. You got me on a good night. LOL. I'm at that place of not giving a shoot. I'd buy you a beer or soda just for your interest in argument.

God Bless.
I'm not looking for a win. :)
Personally, if there's the potential for a problem I'd rather take care of it right away if possible. It helps minimize unexpected things.

You're right about the velocity, it's very low.
And even with use it would take quite a while to make a big difference.
I guess I see it as an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

Everyone's got different priorities. And it's his tractor to do as he sees fit. :)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
In a somewhat-related comparison…. I have a hangar door which I designed/built and it gets greased once/year… MAYbe…. and it’s been there 24 years …running on Grade-5 bolts 3/4”….(a total of 8 separate bolts and 12 sheaves running 3 cables counter-wound on the 2-1/2” pipe spindle)…. on plain steel sheaves/pulleys…operated by a cable-lift boat-lift system I modified.

That door weighs 2500 lbs and is operated about 2 or 3 dayes per week…so a bout 1250 cycles now…

I cross-drilled and center-drilled the bolts and threaded a zerk-fitting in the end of half of them…. the others…I simply loosen the nylock nut..slide the bolt sideways within the sheaves/pulleys…and paint a little grease on them with an acid-brush.

Almost No Detectable wear on them after 24 years.

IMG_1568.jpeg
IMG_1567.jpeg
IMG_1566.jpeg

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
the boat lift/spindle

IMG_1560.jpeg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Now my curiosity is up…

In the background it appears to be another pipe with cables attached to it but driven by the same boat lift. Please give a diagram or description of what is happening.

From the other picture I see (assume) the cables are through the wall, extend a little bit and then run over a sheave down to the door front. I assume the door is lifted by the tension on the cables and then held open by the boat lift (since I know they reliably hold boat above the water for long periods of time with no problems). I further assume that gravity still works well and the cables will just lower the door.

Perhaps the lift of wind would blow the door up or something like that and those cables are the closed position retention mechanism???

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Cheers! 🍻

I forgot to mention...

Velocity on a bearing.

God Bless.
I am in your camp!
Keeping them properly greased, going forward, I would expect that those pins should probably be replaced at 100 years.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Now my curiosity is up…

In the background it appears to be another pipe with cables attached to it but driven by the same boat lift. Please give a diagram or description of what is happening.

From the other picture I see (assume) the cables are through the wall, extend a little bit and then run over a sheave down to the door front. I assume the door is lifted by the tension on the cables and then held open by the boat lift (since I know they reliably hold boat above the water for long periods of time with no problems). I further assume that gravity still works well and the cables will just lower the door.

Perhaps the lift of wind would blow the door up or something like that and those cables are the closed position retention mechanism???
Not sure I understand your question… The boat lift tensions the cables and lifts the door…which tilts inward and lays horizontal as it lifts. Gravity (and the reversed lift) lowers the door…and since the cables are attached slightly below door-center… holds the door closed.

Wind merely holds the door closed… more Firmly…since the door is resting on steel-wheels (at each end) …which are slightly above door center. … (gravity is your friend)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What is going on with this area in the photo? What is the pipe looking object for? Are there cables in those highlighted area? What do they do?

IMG_0094.jpeg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
That is not a “pipe”…. it is a 4” square-tubing…thru which vertical holes are drilled…thru which bolts (for sheave-axles) are placed…. the cables are counter-wound thru the spindle…then turn 90-degrees to run out the front of the bldg….turn down over sheaves…to lift the door.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
What is going on with this area in the photo? What is the pipe looking object for? Are there cables in those highlighted area? What do they do?

View attachment 126032
OK, Russell…. I see your question now…. What you are looking at is trolley-tracks welded up beneath some square tubing. The Top of the door is chained to trolley-wheels (such as might be used on a side-sliding barn-door)…so that as the top of the door comes inward …that door-top is suspended by the chains…and the trolley allows the door-top to come into the bldg.

The door is 44’W X 14’ H…. and is picked up by the cables 14-inches below center…. so the trolley is only holding about 150 lbs of door weight. The trolleys are rated at 600 lbs each…and I have dual trolleys at EACH side…. about 1200 lbs of capability holding only about 150 lbs.

The cables are 7/16” aircraft cable… three of them…rated at 7K lb working load each…lifting a 2500 lb door…. so 21K lb capability … with triple-reduncancy…. counter-wound on the spindle…in-effect almost 42K lbs of lift capability… They’ve shown zero wear in 24 years….but I replace one each of the three every ten years.

I seem to recall we live near each other…You’re welcome to visit anytime.