How I fixed a runaway L260 engine

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
I am looking at an L260. The owner says he replaced the head gasket, it requires a shot of ether to crank(maybe bad glow plugs?) and the engine tries to run wild and has to use the decompressor to shut it down.

It supposedly has less than 300 Hrs on it, sheet metal and tires look really good so hours maybe right.

So does anybody have any advice on what to look for as possible issues or should I just run!
If you are able to do your own repair work then an L260 is a good rig because it is simple and ruggedly built. Don't expect the Kubota dealer to be of any help whatsoever because they have neither the parts nor the inclination to work on these old brutes. The steering is an item of concern as steering box cases are unobtainable, and many of them fill with water freeze and split parts are not easy to find, but I have managed to round up everything I have needed from various sources.

Regarding the L260 you are looking at, if once running the engine smoked I would stay away, but if she ran clean and strong I'll bet you have a sticky injector pump rack, bad glow plugs and perhaps filthy injectors - all of which is fixable.
Ren

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Coachgeo, duly noted. I will strive to change....I'm an old dog and these new tricks sometimes pose challenges.
I'm an old dog too, thank you for the hints, I am used to Photoshop, so at least I got my question and pictures up as attachments even if I didn't master how to get a link into the text. Maybe the next post! Thanks much!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I am looking at an L260. The owner says he replaced the head gasket, it requires a shot of ether to crank(maybe bad glow plugs?) and the engine tries to run wild and has to use the decompressor to shut it down.

It supposedly has less than 300 Hrs on it, sheet metal and tires look really good so hours maybe right.

So does anybody have any advice on what to look for as possible issues or should I just run!
Ether and these engines don't mix well. Fix the GP system, and stay away from ether, or you might end up with a crankcase full of shrapnel...:(

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Or a hole in the side of the block ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Awesome!

What program do you use to make the arrows and labels? I have wanted to do that with some of mine.

More of that kind of quality write-up and the rest of us are gonna be out of business.

:)
Most picture editing programs have a text feature. Including "paint" which is included with Microsoft operating systems. Lines and arrowheads are also included.

Moomooman

Equipment
l260
May 25, 2015
jefferson,oh
I just picked up a L260. I have an injector pump with a broken dip stick in the injector pump side. Is there a way to push it out from the bottom without removing the whole assembly ? Thanks