How far off

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Is fall? Theres 3 maples changing and the sumac are bright red. I just walked down to to get the mail and coming back just picked up the first chestnut of the year. Big nuts this year probably because of all the rain we had. I peeled it and it was crunchy and sweet. SO how much more of summer can er expect,, seems I had better get my hunting licence too,, wont be long afor wabbets and pleasents and squerals come into season, then theres turnkeys and deer, doves come in next week I think or last week I dont know.
Winter is coming !

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Snow this weekend for the Big Horn Mountains, first winter storm warning. Up to 20" above 10K, 12" 8500. Don't know how much we will get at the foot of the mountains, 5000', but you never know. Hope they get winter blend soon, last year a lot of folks were caught off guard, according to Kubota dealer they had a lot of rental machines gel up in the field and had a busy time.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Just came back from checking the mail on the atv, moose tracks all the way down my driveway and into the yard, I'd say it's here.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I saw moose tracks coming up the drive way,,, I would know I was in the wrong drive way :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Wifie heading out to throw a bag of garbage in pickup,dog in house on couch looking out her window- goes apeshit and i look outside. BIG BLACK BEAR at end of driveway. Wife stopped in her tracks when she hears the dog' mean bark. Didnt know what to do.

Yup, summer is over. So glad it hasnt found the oak tree by shop.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Its around the corner, looks like we got our Indian summer for 2 weeks then the Harley is probably getting put up for the winter. This summer went fast :(

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
We had one of the best summers ever and yes the leaves are turning and the farmers are almost finished with harvest, just beans and corn left around here. Our summers seem to last longer now than they did 15 years ago, we haven't had a frost yet but we all know it's coming just not sure when. I'm not sure what it would be like to live in an area where there is only one season. Can you believe we had no mosquitoes in our area all summer. I hope everyone has a good winter whenever it comes.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Wife stopped in her tracks when she hears the dog' mean bark. Didnt know what to do.

Isn't it interesting that you can tell the level of danger/concern/alert from a dog's bark/growl. My dog has different alerts for different animals and when he comes up with a new one I know something is up. Last one was for a fox, which is unusual around here because the coyotes keep them down.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I could always tell by the OLs outside cats when a coyote was around,,,, they would be hangin off the screen door trying to get inside

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
The last two mornings we had 28 deg f. Corn, zucs tomatoes are history. The Hubbard's, kale and chard are doing fine. Boysenberries were just starting to get ripe. We will see on those. Winter wood is in and working on next years. This is my favorite season, I get a blast of energy bigtime. And we also had a visit by a small black bear, one garbage can was a hundred yards up the hill. Fortunately I had gone to the dump a few days ago.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can tell fall is near.
Wood pellets are migrating...

First ton with this new truck. Handled fine. Hauled 2 tons today. 4 more trips to go.....

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Wifie heading out to throw a bag of garbage in pickup,dog in house on couch looking out her window- goes apeshit and i look outside. BIG BLACK BEAR at end of driveway. Wife stopped in her tracks when she hears the dog' mean bark. Didnt know what to do.

Yup, summer is over. So glad it hasnt found the oak tree by shop.
Nothing like a nice bear roast simmering on top of a wood stove. Back a while now when I used to bear hunt every year I took 2 bear roast to the camp and put them on the wood stove to simmer. A short time later my sister and brother and their spouses showed up and asked what was on the stove I told them bear roast. One said thanks but we brought chicken and the other pork chops with that look on their faces. Well after a few hours the smell of the roast cooking was enough to make your mouth water and needless to say their food didn't get cooked that night, I sure miss those days.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Never have eaten bear meat, moose, elk and buffalo, yes, and they were guuuuuuuuuuud !

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bear has to be well taken care of as soon as it's shot, makes for a long night if shot in the evening. You need to trim every bit of fat off right away and get it in the cooler asap. If it's taken care of right bear roast is like the best roast beef you ever had. It's funny, I love the roast but I've tried bear steak a few times and don't care for it, no idea why the difference in taste. I've tried all the ones you mentioned and I'd say elk is amount the best.

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
Its around the corner, looks like we got our Indian summer for 2 weeks then the Harley is probably getting put up for the winter. This summer went fast :(
Amen brother! The wife and I took what will probably be one of our last rides on Wednesday. Spooked a big black bear on one of the back roads. The wife laughed when he took off after standing up, said he probably thought I was another bear at first (black leathers on and hairy face lol) but then realized I could roar louder than him so he booked :D

As far as bear meat goes, never had a roast, but he Seneca's were selling bear sausage sandwiches at their PowWow a few years ago, tasty but a little greasy. Never tried elk, am really wanting to.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Ok, now it's fall, big drop in temp this week so it's time to unsnap the screens and snap on the plastic. It'll look a lot better after the sun hits it for a couple days.

Attachments

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
3 tons wood pellets, freezer full of beef, new B2650HSDC with FEL and 6' snow blade, trip to Sam's Club to stock up on essentials so we are as ready as I can imagine. Probably forgot something but will deal as it comes.
Started my Honda EU2000 and it was running like crap, realized it was on Eco mode, lol. Was cussing Honda for no good reason.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Spent the morning raking up buckets & buckets of Butternuts in the back yard. Can’t be too far off now.