how do I put my tractor in float?

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
I don't see it in my manual. But I'm plowing snow now. I would like to know how to put my bucket in float position. I know its kind of a dumb question. Thanks. My tractor is b7800 30hp 4cy.:rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
filix, when you move your loader valve (handle) forward to lower the bucket simply push the handle a "tad" further. It should have a slight resistance and stay in that position.

Your loader valve has some spring loaded parts in there that cause it to stay in place, hopefully until you release it by moving the handle.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Put your bucket near or on the ground, dial back the rpm, and quickly shove the joystick past the detente as mentioned by D2. If you go slowly, you will raise the front wheels off the ground. It will work at high rpm and with the bucket up in the air, but it results in more clunking and crashing of the bucket than necessary.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
"how do I put my tractor in float"

Easy way, load it on a boat...
Or
Maybe some really big flotation tires! ;)

Sorry
Couldn't help myself... :eek: :p :D

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Hard to believe, but on some Kubotas you have to pull BACK on the joystick to get it into float detent.

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
"how do I put my tractor in float"

Easy way, load it on a boat...
Or
Maybe some really big flotation tires! ;)

Sorry
Couldn't help myself... :eek: :p :D
Mmm? Let me see. My choices are... A. load it on a boat. Or B. Get some big flotation tires. Idaho which one to choose. I will go with B. Now my tractor is out on the ocean. I'm cruzing along, then I see a John deere out there. he is in trouble he is sinking what to do? Oh can I use my bucket to scoop up some fish?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I tried it a few times it never worked. Went to pull out a dock and ended up stuck in the lake. Wouldnt float at all.

If you have never used float, it may be a little tight to lock into float mode first few uses. It snaps forward and locks there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm cruzing along, then I see a John deere out there. he is in trouble he is sinking what to do? Oh can I use my bucket to scoop up some fish?
Well that's easy... Point and Laugh! :p :D
The guy should have gone orange! :rolleyes:

Yes bucket fishing is 100% encouraged, just watch out for the sharks.

And use a rock bucket if trying to catch Rock fish! ;)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
It took me a while to 'master the float'. The first time, the detent seemed so strong/stiff that at first, I thought I broke something by forcing it. Whether it broke in or I simply got used to it but it has become a natural movement now.
Def. have the bucket close to the ground, low rpm the first few times.

When I put my tractor away, I lower the bucket to the ground and then put it in float. If there is a implement on the 3pt. I lower almost to the ground. Shut off the tractor then move the 3pt lowering lever and hold it for a few seconds until the implement is all the way down, resting on its' own. You do not want 'sag over time' to lower these heavy things without you being the 'one in charge', especially if you have kids around that like to 'work levers.'

sgraber

Jan 24, 2016
US
I'm going to ask a dumb question, but being a new BX1870 owner I have to ask: what exactly is 'float' and what does it do for me when operating my tractor?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I'm going to ask a dumb question, but being a new BX1870 owner I have to ask: what exactly is 'float' and what does it do for me when operating my tractor?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Float removes the hydraulic pressure from the lift/lower cylinders on the loader, allowing it to follow the contour of the ground. Useful for plowing or back-dragging operations.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Putting the tractor FEL in "float" takes all hydraulic pressure off the FEL as Kennyd states. The arms (frame) will essentially become limp.

However, the bucket will hold its tilted position and, on most FELs, will still curl and dump.

So for backdragging and spreading gravel, dirt, manure, etc. just set the bucket at about 45° to begin with, put the FEL in float and spread the whatever by hooking it on the bucket's lip and dragging backwards. The angle can be adjusted for more, or less, aggressive spreading. It might have to be done several times for large piles.

Then, at the end of the drag pull back and out of float while raising the arms. With practice, you can curl the bucket at the same time and leave a nice finish at the end of the spreading.

Some folks use float for snow removal but I'm not familiar with the technique. No snow here. (Sorry, Easterners.)

Also, when parking the tractor, putting the FEL in float will take off all pressure and it seems to be better on the hydraulic seals. The bucket will sit on the ground so, if you are worried about that, you can put down a brick or block for it to rest on.

eriksonr

Equipment
bucket loader, deck mower
Jan 26, 2016
Warrenton, VA
For my BX2660, I push the level forward an extra click to engage the float. The first time I did that, it was unplanned and I thought I broke something. The float feature keeps me from digging into the pavement and helps get me a fairly clean surface during snow removal.

I use the float when pushing snow or scooping it off our sloped 600 foot driveway. For the 2 feet of snow we got this past weekend in VA, I had to clear most of it using the FEL (too much to simply push it to the side). With the float engaged, I rotate the bucket towards carry as I push into the snow. I suppose I developed a feel for a technique that works for me, so I invite others to experiment a little with the float.

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
A bit of additional info for anyone that has mounted a front mount snow blower on a BX2350-BX2370, with a hydraulic shoot rotator, to get the shoot to turn right, you have to do the same thing with the joystick when moving it right. It has a detent for that position as well. Took me a while to figure that out, hopefully this will save someone else some frustration.

Last edited:

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
My problem is, now that I found the "Float" position, I seem to hit it constantly even when I just want to lift/lower/tilt/curl the bucket. Can't keep out of float now. Never had a problem until I found it.