How can I make my tractor safer?

squirm

Equipment
2320HSD
Sep 10, 2013
sacramento
I live on a hilly area. Frankly many times when I'm using my B2320, I feel like it might rollover. That's the last thing I want to happen. I ALWAYS wear my seat belt tight with the ROPs up, but frankly I still feel unsafe.

What are my realistic options? I was thinking about getting some wheel spacers. I know some people don't like them due to tranny issues, but I'd rather have a messed up tranny then a messed up body. Would they go on all wheels? What about more protection? Is that possible on the B2320? Shoulder harness, or full cage is that possible?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Besides the wider stance that you already mentioned there is the option to put more weight on as long as it is lower than the axle.

A FEL with a full bucket slung low to the ground is one option. Another is ballast on the 3PH, also run low to the ground. A "carry-all" with a pallet for bags of sand or concrete can work for this.

A lot depends on what is going to be done in the hilly areas.

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
I would stop and consider what I am using my tractor for and how I am using it, if your wanting 3pt harness and roll cage.

jplapp

Equipment
L3200 and RTV1140 cpx
Oct 7, 2013
Cumming, Georgia
First find an experienced operator to come out and verify if your concern is based on slope or lack of experience. Know what are the limits of the tractor and if your instinct is correct. Then talk to your dealer about possible solutions.

squirm

Equipment
2320HSD
Sep 10, 2013
sacramento
First find an experienced operator to come out and verify if your concern is based on slope or lack of experience. Know what are the limits of the tractor and if your instinct is correct. Then talk to your dealer about possible solutions.
Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. Know an operator and will have him come out. Will report back. Thanks again.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
I think until you have gained more hands on and realtime operating experience working on slopes and hills you would be well advised to keep to flat areas , if you have any that is.
As you mentioned you dont "feel safe" at present working on your tractor on slopes or hilly terrain, this lack of confidence or fear even in what you are doing can be more of a danger than the actual task involved, and can lead you to making sudden or rash judgements in a given situation , thus it would be possible to make a small bump or glitch in the terain or similar appear far worse and you could over react to it .

I think you may understand what i am saying, provided you think carefully about what you are doing and have total confidence also in what you are doing then that will go a long way to help you solve the issues you have.

Please remember though, these compact can be a little top heavy sometimes and with a higher centre of gravity they can roll if used without care and consideration, putting wider wheels and harness my not really help you, may make things worse as you may think that you can operate way beyond the limits of the machine and yourself.

You need to start with yourself confidence and skill level for the task required , master it and see how you feel after that if you need extra hardware.

I have been a arborist/tree surgeon for many years ( dont do much climbing now as i'm 50) , but i had a real fear of heights, allways have done, but i managed my fear through training and hands on experience etc , took a while but managed it and learnt to respect height etc, its the same with most things .

good luck with it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I wholeheartedly agree with the above posts- NO amount of enhanced equipment or safety devices will protect you more than experience and common sense.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Maybe mount a angle gauge (inclomenter) so you have a reliable reference to judge if you dont trust the seat of your pants method. Someone on her did that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
BUBBLE WRAP... LOL! Seriously though work up and down on slopes and never side to side if you can help it.

squirm

Equipment
2320HSD
Sep 10, 2013
sacramento
All,
Great points as usual. I have a limited number of flat areas and (as I thought) gained enough experience working in those areas, so ventured out to "a semi-flat area". Basically these area require to be in 4 wheel drive in order to back up, to use that as a reference for the incline degree.

I'm sure I need to get more experience in. Obviously I'd rather take it slow and be safe. I don't want to do anything stupid and regret it.

I was wondering about the roll cage, in reference to our property and probability. A lot of it is sloped, and we will be here for a long time, sooner or later I would hate to have that thing roll on me. So wondering besides experience if there is something else to help protect myself. I've already got enough broken body issues, just don't want to add to my existing collection.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I live in the mountains and there is no such thing as flat.

Sitting here I have no idea if you are being overly cautious or if you really have something to be concerned about.

How about some pics?

It's my experience that you have to test the limits, start small and gain confidence.

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
DO you have the tires filed with liquid ballast? That can make a huge difference in stability, as well as traction.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Squirm,
Do you have a smart phone? You can download a free program for incline checking.
I live in steep mountains some of my property is as steep as 45 deg, and I would not take a tractor on it if you paid me, but I watched a logger skid logs all around the property like it was never a problem.
Our driveway is 10 deg and that sideways in my ballasted, fat tire B is still a little un-nerving.
The best thing to do is learn your tractor and learn your "pucker factor"! When my PF kicks in I know to back off and take it easy. Learn to use good approaches to doing the job, example don't go side ways on any steep grades, keep your hand on the loader control and if it starts to get tippy drop the bucket on the ground to re-stabilize your tractor quickly.
A box blade or heavy strait blade on the back kept low will also help you maintain bottom weight and stability.
Widen the stance of your tractor as wide as it will safely go, rear mainly. Look it over, some tractors you can swap the wheels side to side and inside out to get a lot wider stance without adding anything to it, others require wheel spacers.

squirm

Equipment
2320HSD
Sep 10, 2013
sacramento
All,
No to tires filled. Kubota dealer suggested filling them with water, but never mentioned volume. How much? To the axle? How do you know when it's at that level.

Dealer said he could make spacers, but I thought I saw where I could purchase some already made spacers. Anyone know where?

Last, no to smart phone. I think I'm the last person on Earth not to have one. Incline checker, perhaps the old bubble type, available somewhere?

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
going by pics, you should'nt have any issues to be honest, those inclines dont look excessive, some extra wheel weight or ballast below axle centres may be the best option having seen the pics.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
squirm,, I must agree, I live in the Laurel Highlands of SW Pa and from the pics your grades do not look all that excessive. I would suggest that in mowing, go up and down the grades and get a feel for the machine and avoid across until you get more confident with your abilities. You have to be on a pretty good grade and moving side to side to flip it, not that it cant be done mind you. I would say fill the wheels, go slow, and learn your machine, and enjoy it, it will do things you never thought it would and bring you home safe as long as you do your part, just think it through how am I going to do this. And enjoy

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I'd fill the tires with water as the dealer mentioned. You may need some sort of adapter to get your hose on the valve stem. I believe you just put the tire valve stem at 12 o'clock and fill the tire until water comes out. You want to leave a cushion of air in the tire.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I agree with the others about the slope shown in the photos. They look perfectly safe. Tractors are made to handle even steeper terrain.

Just don't go through the slopes with the bucket full and at full lift with a heavy 3PH implement at full lift.

The "pucker" factor mentioned previously happens at different times to different people. You previous injuries may influence your feeling on those slopes. It is like vertigo, it won't go away and can't be ignored but can be adapted to.

If you take some of the suggestions for tractor modifications mentioned in this thread it may give you a bit more confidence that disaster is not imminent... at least intellectually. The slopes and "pucker" factor will still be there, however.