Hour / RPM not working

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Its still under warranty. Has 165 hours. Cable is securely attached on the engine side of the cable.
My question is, if I loosen the bonnet (just two bolts I believe), can I get enough room to reach my hand inside to see if cable is secure without removing the steering wheel and throttle grip ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Its still under warranty. Has 165 hours. Cable is securely attached on the engine side of the cable.
My question is, if I loosen the bonnet (just two bolts I believe), can I get enough room to reach my hand inside to see if cable is secure without removing the steering wheel and throttle grip ?
IF under warranty .... let them fix it, make them come to you, unless you have easy transportation means. I would not get into a situation that seems simple only to find something more - and now the dealer has a means of reneging on a warranty claim.

Reactions: 1 user

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
IF under warranty .... let them fix it, make them come to you, unless you have easy transportation means. I would not get into a situation that seems simple only to find something more - and now the dealer has a means of reneging on a warranty claim.
I will consider this. I believe they do not perform field service calls and would have to have the tractor picked up, which Im trying to avoid, or I might have to pay to have it delivered. I havent called them yet to see what my options are. Im trying to avoid them all together if possible, especially if its a simple fix. Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If both ends are secure it's quite possible you've lost the cable inside the housing sheath. They break from time to time. It does seem like a big hassle for a simple part but you may want to consider Hokie's words of wisdom as a CYA suggestion.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I will consider this. I believe they do not perform field service calls and would have to have the tractor picked up, which Im trying to avoid, or I might have to pay to have it delivered. I havent called them yet to see what my options are. Im trying to avoid them all together if possible, especially if its a simple fix. Thanks
I understand completely, and we have all been there in that spot...... but that is why there is a warranty, at least call em and see what they say! Tell them - situation is UNDER the guidelines of a warranty issue, and no they dont have to come get it nor come to your house and fix, but they DO have to fix it .....
then again - it may be very simple and tighten a nut or two and presto!

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
watch

A decent step x step video of replacing the cable if you should decide to do it yourself.
(not my video)

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
If both ends are secure it's quite possible you've lost the cable inside the housing sheath. They break from time to time. It does seem like a big hassle for a simple part but you may want to consider Hokie's words of wisdom as a CYA suggestion.
Im not sure if the cable is secure on the meter panel or not. Thanks just the same.
I understand completely, and we have all been there in that spot...... but that is why there is a warranty, at least call em and see what they say! Tell them - situation is UNDER the guidelines of a warranty issue, and no they dont have to come get it nor come to your house and fix, but they DO have to fix it .....
then again - it may be very simple and tighten a nut or two and presto!
I will call and see what they say. Thanks
watch

A decent step x step video of replacing the cable if you should decide to do it yourself.
(not my video)
Great video. I will call the dealer to see what they say first. Its nice to have this video depending on their response. Thanks

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I apologize for any confusion, and I stand corrected on my warranty. Man how time goes by. I called the dealer and my two year warranty for such items expired Aug of this year.
I guess in the next week or so, I will follow the steps of the video and hope for the best.
Again thanks for all the great help

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
My inside cable snapped just at the connector where it comes out of the right angle drive on the front of the engine in front of the injector pump. I think that when I got the new cable I just slid out the cable and slid the new one back up to the display panel. I also removed one of the zip ties than had the cable pulled tight and allowed a more leisurely arc. I think it broke around 30 hrs... w

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
mine broke with 43hr on the clock, ordered a new one that was a new part number, appeared to be a different style sheath material. tractor now has 120hrs and cable still good.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Must say, Ive been lucky. Never broke a cable on either of my M9's at 2500 and 6000 hours. I did grease them both long ago

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
My inside cable snapped just at the connector where it comes out of the right angle drive on the front of the engine in front of the injector pump. I think that when I got the new cable I just slid out the cable and slid the new one back up to the display panel. I also removed one of the zip ties than had the cable pulled tight and allowed a more leisurely arc. I think it broke around 30 hrs... w
Interesting, glad you got it fixed. Thanks
mine broke with 43hr on the clock, ordered a new one that was a new part number, appeared to be a different style sheath material. tractor now has 120hrs and cable still good.
Glad you got it fixed. Thanks
Must say, Ive been lucky. Never broke a cable on either of my M9's at 2500 and 6000 hours. I did grease them both long ago
I hope mine is not broke and its just loose. I will know when I take it apart.
Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
too common. L2501's tach cables breaking

here is your step by step

1: remove the old cable
2: install the new cable