Hour meter on B7100HST

douvy

Equipment
1987 B7100HST, 2008 ZG327
Jun 9, 2012
North Battleford ,Saskatchewan
Hi. I have two questions I was hoping someone could help with. First is regarding my hour meter on my B7100HST-DP. It just quit working the last time I used it. I have checked to see if any wiring wiggled loose, or if I could see any broken wires. I noticed nothing out of place. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm a farm kid who's not scared to try and fix things. The problem is that I'm not sure how the hour meter gets it's readings, or where it's wired to. Any suggestions? It has worked fine until the last time I used the tractor. Second, I have guessed that my B7100HST was built in 1987. My dealer can't answer the build year question either. The serial number is 73856. The engine number is 891494. Any advice, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. On a side note, the tractor was purchased new by my Dad, and I got it with the farm when I purchased it from him. I bought my ZG327 brand new in 2008. Love them both. Great machines....especially the tractor. 708 hours on the meter. Need to fix that hour meter ASAP. Thanks again.

douvy

Equipment
Jun 9, 2012
I'd send you a pic, but I'm so new to this that I can't figure out how to post pictures on the threads. I'm very uneducated on how to do a lot of these basic computer things. Sorry.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
As far as posting pictures theres a "sticky note" here on OTT in this very section Service and Repair, I do believe its the 3rd post down. It'll explain how to post pictures to this site.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
As was noted, the proofmeter/hourmeter is basically wired to a hot when on, from the Ing switch. It just "runs" when 12V+ is present. they commonally fail. not that expensive to replace. If memory serves correct, less than $30 delivered. Any brand works as long as voltage is correct and fits in mounting hole. Some models a little larger used mechanical meters in which is a different story altogether.

Need help, "Holler" at us again.

Last edited:

douvy

Equipment
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. I tried tackling the hour meter today. I'm going to buy a new hour meter in town the next I'm there. Thanks for the tip about aftermarket hour meters Kytim. The dealer wants $229.99 for a new one!!!! I said no thanks. Thanks drewscruis and Eric for your advise as well.

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Take a look at this, it would serve as a replacement. Burden's surplus center has several different "things" of interest.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Before buying a new hour meter did you ever confirm that you do have 12 volts going to the meter when the key is in the run position? There is an inline fuse that if blown, power will not get to the meter. On one of my B7100's when the hour meter stopped it was the fuse holder that had gotten corroded.

douvy

Equipment
Jun 9, 2012
FL 850 tiller service question.

Hi. I have an FL 850 tiller that I believe is about 20 to 25 years old. It may be older, but that's as far back as I can remember for sure it being around. My Dad bought it new, but he can't remember what year it was. He bought it new with a B1700 around 1982 or 1983ish he says. He then traded the B1700 on a new B7100 around 1992-1994ish. I originally thought the B7100 was bought around 1987, but I now believe it was later. Regardless, the tiller was kept when the old B1700 was traded. There's a lot of speculation about how old this equipment is, but the long and the short of it is, nobody really knows for sure. That all being said, the tiller is working fine, however, I don't believe it has ever had, or been serviced in any major way, other than greasing, and making sure there was oil in the gearbox. I would like to replace all the tiller tines with new ones, change the gear oil, and service the drive chain. There is about an inch and half of slack, or "slap" when wiggling the tiller drive back and forth in neutral. Is that acceptable? I was quoted $12.73 per tiller tine from the dealer. There is six left hand, and six right hand tines. Is that price in the ballpark for a fair price for new tines? What else should I do to service my tiller? Should I change bearings, the drive chain, or seals and/or gaskets? Nothing is leaking, and there are no loud or unusual noises when it is operating. I have no real idea how many hours are on this tiller, but I imagine it is a buttload. I have no operator's manual or service guide to go by. The dealer is more interested in selling me a new tiller, than offering any service advice to me. They told me to bring it in to be serviced, and don't want to provide me the answers to my service questions. Any advice, concerns, or tips that can passed on would be very appreciated. Thanks guys.

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I know another member had a thread here a few weeks ago and even named a tine supplier that I think was a lot less than that each. He even noted about the chain service and bearing work to. Take a look maybe you can find it. I'll look to and update this with a link if I find it.

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Douvy, Look at this thread. It notes the wheres and such of a tiller rebuild. Good luck.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I wouldn't change tynes until they break. I change one or two about every time I use my tiller, but leave the ones that are merely worn down a bit, They generally start out with about 2-1/2" blade depth, but don't break off until they are about 1/2 that. As long as they have a cutting edge they are cutting; maybe they will be good for another garden patch. I like to always have new spares, but don't want to throw away money changing what is still working.