John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA

JKP

Equipment
B7100D 219FEL
Apr 4, 2011
Locust Grove,Ga
Good looking idea, more details on what you did would really help out. I have been thinking about the same thing.
Rgds,
J

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
It looks as though you may be using them with a quick hitch. is that right? how does implements behave with them? what about something really heavy like a finish mower that would exert a great deal of sideways torque?

I've been wanting to make a similar set too!!!

thznks,
kytim

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
No quick hitch- that is a scraper blade. They did well using the scraper blade. I will see how they hold up with the tiller and finish mower.
This was my first set, and I made compromises, which I plan to correct for- these are a working set, to see what works. I wanted thicker wall square tubing, but this was all that I could locate at the moment. Also, I don't want to use the link on the ends. I would rather bend some round stock, having it run a couple of inches down either side of the square stock, and weld on either side. I think that will be stronger and more balanced. I think that I have the hole spacing correct, and the length of the two tubes correct. The question at this point is durability, and while the thickness of this stock may be marginal, I am sure that a thicker wall set will be plenty strong. Overall, I am pleased with the potential- I hate the turnbuckles. They work, but this is better.
Mark

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
The stabilizers look great, I'll bet alot of us will be watching this thread so we don't have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks for sharing with us.
ametcalf

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I mowed yesterday, and they handled the side-to-side of the mower well. My next plans are to make another set, not using the chain links but round stock, and thicker wall tubing. I will also be looking at heim joints. No doubt about it, though- they are much nicer! Attach the implement, raise it a little, then adjust the stabilizers. Takes a couple of seconds.