Home brew BX snow plow

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
A bit behind schedule but I've gotten far enough with a snow plow build to toss up some pics. This has been a fairly low buck project as I have had the 6ft Meyer plow for many years mounted to my old compact tractor, lift and angle cylinders were given to me, hoses are off the old mount. Purchased items include steel for the mounting, lift structure, a receiver hitch blank, the various mounting pins, and the hydraulic fittings, purchased items were less than 200 bucks. I just couldn't give Kubota 2k for their set up having most of what is needed to make a unit. Mine is not as fancy but,,,,

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

fishinroc25

Equipment
Kubota BX1830 w/loader, custom front plow, 3-pt trailer hitch, Carry All
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Looking good! I’m with you, utilize what you have vs going to buy new. When you have a chance post pics of the tractor side mount. Like to understand where & how you attached it. These BX’s are great for plowing snow, just struggle a little to steer when plow is angled (even slightly) and all the way down “floating”.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Good build, what is the weight on that blade have you any idea?

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Looking good! I’m with you, utilize what you have vs going to buy new. When you have a chance post pics of the tractor side mount. Like to understand where & how you attached it. These BX’s are great for plowing snow, just struggle a little to steer when plow is angled (even slightly) and all the way down “floating”.
Some more pics of the mount. The mount consists of 2 pieces of 3\8 x 3 bar stock, 1 piece of 1/4 x 5 bar stock, 1 piece of 2x2x1/4 angle iron, and 4 pieces of 1/2x2. I used only the existing holes in the tractor frame to attach.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Good build, what is the weight on that blade have you any idea?
It's a bit on the hefty side, I'd estimate it around 200 or so. I really shortened up the A frame to pull it in as close as possible to the machine, and still be able to tilt the grill guard and open the hood. Width is 72" and I will see how it pushes, I can narrow it up if necessary without to much work. Currently I have the cylinder for angling but I haven't started on the mounting. I just ordered the couplers and miscellaneous fittings to hook up the lift cylinder last night, I'm hoping I got the coupler size right.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Found a pic of the mount before I put it on the machine. The mount can stay on the machine permanently as it is above anything on the underside as can the grill guard and front receiver hitch. I can attach or remove the plow in just a few minutes with little physical effort.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Kubota BX1830 w/loader, custom front plow, 3-pt trailer hitch, Carry All
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Found a pic of the mount before I put it on the machine. The mount can stay on the machine permanently as it is above anything on the underside as can the grill guard and front receiver hitch. I can attach or remove the plow in just a few minutes with little physical effort.

That is a great looking build! (Excellent welds too!). Hope it works good for you this winter!!

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
That is a great looking build! (Excellent welds too!). Hope it works good for you this winter!!
I have to give credit to my son for those welds, dads welds aren't as pretty. That one was done with a high buck Miller or Hobart at his job, mine are done with a HF machine and flux core. He can out weld me easily.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
The necessary hydraulic fittings showed up and I now have a functioning manual angle plow on the BX. For those out there wondering which couplers are needed to plug into the BX 80 series loader output fittings they are iso 16028 flat face 1/4 body size.

On to the power angle and additional lighting.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Word of caution. Had a similar blade attachment for my little ford. Used it for some wide sidewalk areas where the heavier tractors could cause issues.

Understanding that none of the compacts enjoy an actual frame or chassis, the blade may exert considerable force against the engine block. The blade we used was a modified backblade because the mount and angle adjustments were baked in at the factory. Simply required a top moldboard extension.

The point is that even with TRIP SPRINGS, the steel extension that forms, actually supports a bumper, is not really designed to absorb lateral impact.

With a snow blower, impact speed is generally SLOW. And push forces do not rely upon that side engine front support projection.

But with a blade, there is a tendency to cruise. (Light accumulation, but existing ice laden side banks)

Impact some frozen ice on the outside blade edge at 6, 7, 8 or even faster mph, and you might be disappointed in the result. Just FYI, YMMV.

Last edited:

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
Word of caution. Had a similar blade attachment for my little ford. Used it for some wide sidewalk areas where the heavier tractors could cause issues.

Understanding that none of the compacts enjoy an actual frame or chassis, the blade may exert considerable force against the engine block. The blade we used was a modified backblade because the mount and angle adjustments were baked in at the factory. Simply required a top moldboard extension.

The point is that even with TRIP SPRINGS, the steel extension that forms, actually supports a bumper, is not really designed to absorb lateral impact.

With a snow blower, impact speed is generally SLOW. And push forces do not rely upon that side engine front support projection.

But with a blade, there is a tendency to cruise. (Light accumulation, but existing ice laden side banks)

Impact some frozen ice on the outside blade edge at 6, 7, 8 or even faster mph, and you might be disappointed in the result. Just FYI, YMMV.
I hear ya and I don't plow that fast, the mount location and attachment points are similar to what the oem offers and the BX pretty much has a frame so not many worries here. My old compact, B2650 size, had no frame to speak of short of the extension you speak of and never an issue with 20+ years of use. I know Murphy's law exists but I don't see a visitation, if it were problematic there would be many BX owners posting even with the oem mounts.