Holy Caroni!!! Its here its here!!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
So my Gen-U-Wine 73 inch Caroni flail mower finally arrived today... and it doesn't work!! I'll get to that in a minute..

So I'm working about the place today trying to clean some stuff up, get some posts in the ground and get a dog fence up... beat myself up a bit and then the delivery guy calls, be there at 2 with the mower..WHOOHOO!! ITS HERE ITS HERE...

So to unload it I have to put it together first so I can chain it off the truck, the driver is real nice and says no problem, do what you need to do. So I get the top link part of the 3ph attached so I've a way to pick it up. off the truck it comes, set it down and hook it up to the tractor and off to the barn to finish up.

Get everything torqued down, fill the gear box, grease all the fittings (they've put holes in the covers to accommodate this now), go to install the PTO shaft and its about 2 inches too long (remember the it doesn't work thing above, this is why). Not a real big deal, I'll need to cut it down 5-6 inches. Really really wanted to do it today to see how it mows, but I was beat, had a vet appt for my dog and had to get cleaned up...so it will just have to wait till tomorrow.

Stay tuned, I'll let you know how it goes..

Here's proof!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
So next day, got the PTO cut and gave it a try...

Before...

And after...Took a chainsaw to a couple of those larger trees..

Ah, my first time with a flail...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Glad you got her to work !
Looks like it was worth the wait too. Never used a flail mower - heard that they are mo' better than a rotary.

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Yeah, this is my first dealings with a flail mower too, I also heard they were mo better.. I guess we'll see.:D

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Awesome Flailing! Always nice to get a new implement :) Congratulations on the new Caroni!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
So I finally got this mower out in the woods which is the main reason I got it. took some before and after pics. Mowing fast it looks like I mowed it with a rotary mower, go nice and slow, and its incredible, everything all mulched up!!

Before..

And after...

Man I'm really liking this thing over a rotary, first thing if it were a rotary it would stick out 8 feet behind the tractor, this is 3 feet. So much better in the woods with the shorter length. And if I go slow it just mulches everything up to nothing!

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I don't see the dog in the after pic :eek:
Glad you're happy with your new toy.

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
Oh wow! This is great -- and I love that it will do a good job cutting at high speed. That turned out to be a wonderful choice!
You misunderstood a little I believe. Its kind of a rough cut at faster speeds, it does very well at slow speeds however..

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
OK you guys are a bad influence...I put a deposit on a middle sized Caroni this morning, :D:D:D the next size down from yours AO. It hopefully will arrive from Italy at the supplier in a couple of weeks. I could get the bigger size right away, but my manual says my bota will only run a flail up to 60 inches, so I decided I better not be greedy. And then there is the small matter of my limited floor space to store stuff. Just got back from my neighbor's, he got me started on this flail mower quest, he came over and mowed my pastures for me last summer and his big flail, a JD b25 on a 50 horse tractor, did a wonderful job. The Caroni looks like a miniature version of his. I am so excited!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
OK you guys are a bad influence...I put a deposit on a middle sized Caroni this morning, :D:D:D the next size down from yours AO. It hopefully will arrive from Italy at the supplier in a couple of weeks. I could get the bigger size right away, but my manual says my bota will only run a flail up to 60 inches, so I decided I better not be greedy. And then there is the small matter of my limited floor space to store stuff. Just got back from my neighbor's, he got me started on this flail mower quest, he came over and mowed my pastures for me last summer and his big flail, a JD b25 on a 50 horse tractor, did a wonderful job. The Caroni looks like a miniature version of his. I am so excited!
I dont know why they list that size flail mower on our sized tractors. I have the L3540HST and it lists a 60 inch one for mine too, but then it wouldnt get close to mowing the tire path, I have 72 inches from outside to outside of my tires, 60 would just be to small I'm thinking..

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have been wondering the same thing, the guy I talked to at Tractor tools direct thought it ought to be able to run the 75 inch size, maybe not if the grass was really thick. I only waffled on account of managing another foot of machine and offset to one side in my current barn space. Of course if I were to build another barn for equipment storage...:D My neighbor's JD covers his wheel tracks and about 8 inches of offset. But he has serious acres and tractors and BIG barns.

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
I have been wondering the same thing, the guy I talked to at Tractor tools direct thought it ought to be able to run the 75 inch size, maybe not if the grass was really thick. I only waffled on account of managing another foot of machine and offset to one side in my current barn space. Of course if I were to build another barn for equipment storage...:D My neighbor's JD covers his wheel tracks and about 8 inches of offset. But he has serious acres and tractors and BIG barns.
Powerwize your tractor would handle it easy, mine does.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
You misunderstood a little I believe. Its kind of a rough cut at faster speeds, it does very well at slow speeds however..
No, I got it. I think it does a great job on high speed. It doesn't leave it looking like a lawn, but cleans overgrowth very well. For my needs, I don't know that I would ever have to go slow -- except for dodging trees.

A Caroni is on my wish list, so start saving your pennies now so when Christmas comes, you'll know what to get me!

A.O.

Equipment
L3540HST LA724 FEL
Feb 6, 2015
South Carolina
No, I got it. I think it does a great job on high speed. It doesn't leave it looking like a lawn, but cleans overgrowth very well. For my needs, I don't know that I would ever have to go slow -- except for dodging trees.

A Caroni is on my wish list, so start saving your pennies now so when Christmas comes, you'll know what to get me!
It does eat up everything in its path REAL well!!

Sorry I've already spent all my pennies, you are on your own. But its worth it!