Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
We are seeing more and more of them here in my area. They really do some damage to our land. I like your hog trap. Did you make it? The next time you are there, would you mind taking some photos so I can see your design? Thanks.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
We are seeing more and more of them here in my area. They really do some damage to our land. I like your hog trap. Did you make it? The next time you are there, would you mind taking some photos so I can see your design? Thanks.
The trap is 200 yards from my back door. I got plenty pics. I changed the trigger from a step on type to one that is against the back wall that they bump into. And yes I built it, so I can roll it through the woods. Any specific questions I will be glad to answer, and or post pics of.

Attachments

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I've heard that their not good eating? true? Looks like that they would do just fine in a Smoker.
They are delicious. Best tasting animal in the east Texas woods. Way better than anything I ever got from the grocery store, and better than whitetail. Never had bison or any other wild large game before, so can't say anything about those.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Must be a difference in regions :rolleyes: I got one out of a Florida swamp. When you cooked it, it smelt like swamp. Couldn't force myself to take taste.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Must be a difference in regions :rolleyes: I got one out of a Florida swamp. When you cooked it, it smelt like swamp. Couldn't force myself to take taste.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
We live on hogs and deer, never had one that wasn't great. Even the boars that went 300 lbs. And I have probably killed over 100.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
So how often do you trap, meaning how many more in the area coming through, so if you trapped every week how would it pan out?
I always keep corn in the trap, but only set the trigger when I want meat, or have too many at my feeders keeping the deer away. Most days I could shoot a hog if I wanted too. They don't really stay in one area, they do more roaming.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
As I said earlier, I am seeing more and more of them in my area. I see them on my game camera at night, but never see them when I am hunting in the daytime. I was thinking of building a trap and I like your design. I was thinking of using a round hay bale feeder and welding cattle panels on the sides and top like you have. I could weld the trap door in place to some brackets also. That seems to be similar to your design. What do you use for a trigger? Could you post photos of your trigger and how you have it attached to your trap door? Thanks for your time.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Are you butchering them or a meat processor ? Hogs are a lot of work, what do they charge or is it a group rate aka by the pound total?

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
As I said earlier, I am seeing more and more of them in my area. I see them on my game camera at night, but never see them when I am hunting in the daytime. I was thinking of building a trap and I like your design. I was thinking of using a round hay bale feeder and welding cattle panels on the sides and top like you have. I could weld the trap door in place to some brackets also. That seems to be similar to your design. What do you use for a trigger? Could you post photos of your trigger and how you have it attached to your trap door? Thanks for your time.
The local welding shop sells the round parts here, I bought those and then just like you said welded hog panels on it. Can't seem to find my pics, so will go today and take some. But basically in the pic you can see the corn piled on a trigger that is stepped on. Well i just added material to that trigger and stood it up against the back wall. I put corn all around the trap and when they bump against the trigger it pulls a rod that releases the door. More hogs can push in the door if they want to to get in.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Are you butchering them or a meat processor ? Hogs are a lot of work, what do they charge or is it a group rate aka by the pound total?
I have always done all the butchering myself, but this time, I am thinking of bringing some to a butcher to have sausage smoked. I just got so much this time that I don't have time to process that much. I have them all cleaned, but basically just quartered up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
HUMMMMMMMM smoked pork ribs,,, a good dry rub and with JD sauce ,,son thats good eatin :D

Bayoudude

May 24, 2017
Houma LA
I definitely agree with them being the best tasting thing in the woods
Had this boar show up on camera at my place is MS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.