help

goriller

Equipment
BXX23 B5100
Jun 9, 2015
EnonValley Pa. USA
Hi I'm new on forum,and I love my B5100 and BX23 tractors.
I have a problem. A young neighbor came by to give me a hand yesterday, I am weak from a cancer and old.
While I was busy with a hydraulic hose at the vise, I said he could put the new battery in the BX23. When I finished the hose I tried to start the tractor.
It just cranked and did not fire, after a lot of checking of everything, I discovered he had put the battery in red on black and black on red. I switched it and the tractor fired right up, checked lights and all and all worked fine.
I took to the barn and turned the key to shut it down, it did not shut off. I even actuated safety switch's still ran. Finally I shut the fuel off and it shut down.
We discussed the problem and it sat awhile, maybe half an hour.
Started it again and it fired right up, turned off with key, all was normal, did this several times. Took it for a ride worked all controls, all is fine, brought it back to barn, turned key off it kept running, I had to cut fuel again.
Any ideas.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi Goriller, welcome to the forum, I can't help, but there are several folks that are good with electronics, that will help when they next log in. Hang in there! The only thing I can suggest in the meantime is to search for a loose or bad connection since it sometimes works correctly.

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
Hi I'm new on forum,and I love my B5100 and BX23 tractors.
I have a problem. A young neighbor came by to give me a hand yesterday, I am weak from a cancer and old.
While I was busy with a hydraulic hose at the vise, I said he could put the new battery in the BX23. When I finished the hose I tried to start the tractor.
It just cranked and did not fire, after a lot of checking of everything, I discovered he had put the battery in red on black and black on red. I switched it and the tractor fired right up, checked lights and all and all worked fine.
I took to the barn and turned the key to shut it down, it did not shut off. I even actuated safety switch's still ran. Finally I shut the fuel off and it shut down.
We discussed the problem and it sat awhile, maybe half an hour.
Started it again and it fired right up, turned off with key, all was normal, did this several times. Took it for a ride worked all controls, all is fine, brought it back to barn, turned key off it kept running, I had to cut fuel again.
Any ideas.
I am thinking there may be damage to the ignition switch caused by the reverse of polarity when the battery was connected backwards. Usually turning off the switch kills power to the ignition system.

J

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
First I would check all of the fuses.

The next thing would be diodes such as in the electrical charge system. If the fuses are good, then it sounds that a diode(s) could be destroyed.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I think that the engine is actually shut off by an electronic fuel cutoff solenoid. That solenoid may have become damaged with the reversed battery polarity. You should be able to hear the solenoid engage when you first turn on your key (engine not started yet). It will sound like a screwdriver tip hitting a metal plate. If you don't hear that noise when you first turn on the key, your solenoid may be stuck in the on position. If you do hear the noise when you turn on the key, turn the key off and wait a few seconds. You should hear the solenoid disengaging. If you don't hear the noise within a few seconds after you turn the key off, then the solenoid may be sticking in the on position. If the solenoid is sticking in the on position, the fuel flow will not be cut off and the engine will keep running even though the key is turned off.

I can't guarantee that this is the problem but I have experienced this in the past and just offering a suggestion on another thing to check.

goriller

Equipment
BXX23 B5100
Jun 9, 2015
EnonValley Pa. USA
Mork, JimL. and armylifer thank you for your efforts to try to solve the problem. I looked for some electrical schematics. I found the shut off solenoid and the fuse that went to it. I had checked all the fuses the night before, even the 30 amp slow burn, nothing seems amiss.
I was going to follow some instructions on how to check the solenoid with a jumper. Not wanting to get that involved unless really necessary I checked that fuse again, it wasn't burned that I could detect. I put a new fuse in anyway.
My tractor is working normal again. Thanks to everyone who put their ideas in.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My tractor is working normal again. Thanks to everyone who put their ideas in.
Glad to hear it's working, and I hope it continues to operate normally.

This is a great group on OTT!

Welcome!:)