Help with tiller

Beggarcat

Jul 9, 2011
Mineral wa usa
Just purchased the very first tractor. Dealer put all together on the BX2360: loader, mower, and tiller. Got it delivered and had the man remove the implements until I at least got used to mowing. I have tried for 4 days to get the tiller on the three point hitch. Now I'm thinking they gave me the wrong tiller. Is it possible to install a RTR1250 landpride onto a BX2360? They say they sell them all thE time this way. What's the trick? I have fOllowed the book to a T. The drive shaft seems to be too long. Thanks for any help.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I have an L Series Tractor and a Howard Tiller so I don't know anything about your setup. On mine I attach the lift arms first, then the pto shaft and then the top link last. By attaching the top link last I can pivot the tiller forward and backward to make it easier to attach the pto shaft. Once you do get the tiller on your tractor do not raise the 3 pt hitch too high while the pto is engaged as that tends to put the shaft in a bind. It has a different sound if raised to high. That may not be a problem with your tractor as it sits lower to the ground than mine. Another thought when using your tiller is to consider breaking new ground with a disc harrow or other type of plow before tilling. In our part of the country we have soil that is heavy with clay. Plowing before tilling makes it easier on you and your equipment. Good luck with your new Kubota and equipment and welcome to OTT.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
You mean the PTO shaft?? You do know that the length adjusts? Grab the end and slide it back and forth to make it longer/shorter within reason.

Alloy Snake

Equipment
L4240,Lowry 6 foot mower,6 foot tiller
May 16, 2011
Jacksonville,FL
The tiller pto shafts need to be cut to fit-If you hook it up and its too long the tiller gearbox or tractor can be seriously damaged.You would measure the length needed and then pull the shaft into (seperates at the middle).Then you cut each shaft the same amount-Say 2 inches off of both as an example-De-bur and slide the shaft back together and check.Also you will need the shaft to have atleast 6 inches of overlaping contact to be safe.The plastic guard needs to be trimed back to access the area to be cut as a side note.Hope this helps.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
The drive shaft seems to be too long.
If they say, they have sold it often in this combination, maybe the others are right and this time they selected the wrong length for the drive shaft. Is the type the same like in the bill? I would just call them and discribe the problem, they should come up with the correct drive-shaft.
Or just by a shorter one at next store, having more equipment, just in case... :rolleyes:

carl

ametcalf

Equipment
BX23
Apr 9, 2011
Wilmore, KY
Google PTO shaft length and you will come up with about 143,000 hits in less than a second. In my experience PTO shafts on new equipment are almost always too long because the equipment manufacturer doesn't know what type of tractor and 3pt set up it will be installed on. They depend on the dealer or the owner to cut the PTO shaft to the right length. As Alloy Snake said, make sure you cut it down to the right length or serious tractor damage can result.
Go to the Land Pride website and follow it through to your tiller and there is a choice for the manual for your tiller. The instructions for cutting your PTO shaft to the proper length start on page 14. I would guess that the manual on line is the same as the manual that should have come with your tiller so you might try looking at page 14 in that manual. Make sure that the shaft is short enough so that it does not bottom out at any time during the full lifting and lowering of the tiller or damage will occur. If this is your first tractor some of this may be Greek to you, if so get the dealer to help with it. I would have thought by you buying the total package from them they would have already cut the shaft to the proper length. Also make sure that the dealer put oil in the gear box and chain drive as some companies ship the units without oil. Also, if you aren't familiar with slip clutches either read about them on line or have someone explain them too you as they have to be adjusted to match your useage or damage can result from a miss adjusted slip clutch. Information on the slip clutch can be found starting on page 22 of the above mentioned manual.
Good luck with your new purchase.
ametcalf

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Before you go cutting the PTO shaft, you need to make sure that it is in fact too long. Before hooking up the arms and the top link, (with the tractor close to hook-up position), attach the PTO shaft. It slides in and out- pull it out enough to hook up to the tractor PTO shaft. Then, pull the tiller forward enough to hook up the arms and the top link. At this point, there should be some forward and backward movement in the shaft. If it is tight, then you need to cut the shaft down some. Slowly raise the tiller, watching the shaft- it will tighten up as you raise it. It may be at this point that you determine that it is too tight, and needs trimming. If it doesn't tighten up to the point of binding, then you should be good to go. You don't want to cut the shaft if you don't need to.
I can't imagine the dealer delivering it with the shaft too long- I think it is more likely that you haven't learned the trick yet. If they did deliver it with the shaft too tight, then let them trim it- it is their responsibility. Let them assume the risk of cutting the shaft too short, and having to replace it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This must be a common issue with tillers. I had a off brand that I bought for my B 7100 and the Bushhog brand I bought for my L 3000 both had to have the shafts cut. If you do have to cut yours be careful with it. It's much easier to measure twice and cut once than it is to suddenly find your shaft is to short.