Help with hose chafing on L35/BT900

gobeavs16

Oct 3, 2009
Juneau, AK
I have an L35 with BT900 backhoe. A hydraulic hose feeding the boom piston ruptured due to chafing against the pin. I have now replaced the hose and find it almost impossible to get the pin back in the boom piston due to the limited capacity available for the 6 hydraulic hoses and chafing sleave that must be routed through this small space. Perhaps the diameter of hose I used to replace the old ones is too large. Does anybody know what the hose diameter (outside) should be? Or have any other ideas on how this should be done correctly. I can see myself smashing the boom piston back in place but I'll just be in the same spot next year as the new hoses chaf. Just doesn't seem right. Thank you.

I've attempted to attach some picture of the old configuration, when the hose ruptured, which are the pictures with the yellow chaf gaurd. Also, a picture of the new hoses installed with the blue chaf gaurd. Thanks again for any advice you might have.

Attachments

dave7310

Equipment
L 48
Sep 26, 2009
Brookfield, CT
I was just looking at my L48, the hose sleeve dosn't go up through on mine, just under it to protect the hoses from the bottom joint.Not sure if the L35 was differant ? I'm wondering if you raised the boom up maybe the hoses would bend back giving you more clearance?
Good luck.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
gobeavs16, I'll pray for you! You're gonna need it. I replaced all the hoses on my BT900 backhoe using the same sizes that were on it originally. And it is a tight fit! But it did go back together. I had more trouble getting the other end of the boom cylinder back than I did on the end you are working on. I agree with rbaker6336, that a 1/2" hose or a larger dia. 3/8" hose will take up too much space. Let us know how it turns out.

Bob D

Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
On the off chance this thread isn't dead, does anyone know the fitting spec for the BT900 hoses - it looks like standard JIC but I'd like to be sure.
I need to replace a hose but didn't have the tools to remove it although i did measure the length.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Bob, I am almost 100% sure that mine were all JIC 8 fittings. I had 1 hose to break on the boom cylinder. So I figured if one broke, the rest wouldn't be far behind. So I measured all of them and ordered them from Surplus Center (www.surpluscenter.com) for about 10 to 20% what it would have cost me to have them made up locally. Good Luck!