Help with G1800 dashboard.

Mauzer12

Jul 6, 2016
US
Hey guys, I've got a G1800 that I recently purchased it has 978 hours on it and I am really happy with it with the exception of the fact that neither the temperature nor the fuel gauge work. In the past I have diagnosed a bad temperature gauge/sending unit by simply grounding the wire for the temp gauge with the key on and watching to see if the needle moves. I tried that very briefly on this tractor only to be greeted by what almost sounded like a horn going off and no gauge movement that I noticed. I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on how I might be able to diagnose and correct these issues on an otherwise great machine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Hi Mauzer12. I've got almost the same machine as yours, a G1900, and I've had the same issue with temp gauge. I did the same as you--grounded the sender wire--and almost swallowed my tongue when that loud horn went off. I didn't even know it had a horn!

After exhausting every possible cause, I finally gave up and wired in an aftermarket temp gauge. Mounted on panel by left foot.

It still bugs me that I couldn't figure it out. I tried a new sender; rewired the gauge; new fuses - all to no avail. Tried swapping panel with a known good one thinking maybe it was the gauge itself. Nope.

I haven't had any fuel gauge issues. There have been several threads on this forum so do a search. I'm sure you'll find some good information.

Mauzer12

Jul 6, 2016
US
Well it's nice to know that I'm not the only one Kubota owes a pair of skivies to because of this. Thanks for the reply, I will keep my eye open and see if I can get this straightened out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The horn is for "overheat warning" for those who can't see, or don't ever look at (like me), a temp gauge. Or if the gauge doesn't work :)

There are two temp sensors. One is on the thermostat housing of the engine. That one makes the horn go beep. The other one is on the back of the engine (toward the front of the tractor), single yellow wire. Ground it and the temp gauge should go to "H". If not, either the wiring is defective or the cluster is shot. Usually the wiring to be honest.

Same deal with the fuel level gauge. Single wire at the tank, pull it off and ground it. Gauge should go to "F". If not, check sensor itself, check wiring, connectors, and if all tests good-see below. Seen a few sensors corrode (rust) and give inaccurate readings, or no reading at all.

Remove the panel (cluster). On the back, you'll see where all the wires go, there's a printed circuit and some of the wires are held onto the panel with phillips head screws. I've seen several (including mine) where just barely tightening the screws that hold the temp sensor and fuel sensor wires to the panel would make it start working again. You can't tighten them very much because the panels are brittle and getting crazy with the screwdriver will break the panel, and then you're back to square 1 again......

Mauzer12

Jul 6, 2016
US
Thanks so much for the info! I'm heading out to work on it now!

Mauzer12

Jul 6, 2016
US
Update: Both gauges work! I found the other sending unit wire right where on the back of the engine and cleaned it up, checked the wire, reassembled and it came to life! Same story on the fuel gauge wire. Thanks LUGBOLT, great info!