Help picking out a first tractor

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
Sounds like you're on the right track. I went with the slightly smaller but more comfortable B2650. I use it mostly for the loader and the backhoe though, no mowing. I use my ZT for mowing. Keep in mind that no matter what tractor/mower combo you end up with, your mow time will be significantly longer that it was on your ZT. So, make sure you are comfortable with the seating and control ergonomics. Personally, I didn't like the ergonomics on any of the standard L series, and I didn't want to spend the $$ for a grand L, so the larger of the B series was it for me. Good luck with acquiring more acreage.
Bad news... my initial land acquisition deal was a bust; my prime plot is not for sale. So I keep pestering... I mean, looking.

Agree that ergos are key. I am only marginally comfy on the small L's; even with the seat all the way back, the floorboard and pedal is a little too close. I like the room on the L4701 and MX4800 better. I'm not comparing mow time to the ZT that's been gone 10 years; I'm comparing to the Craftsman 42-inch riding mower I have to keep working on, so I think anything will be an improvement.

I went to another dealer who had everything BUT a 3560 (had the bigger Grand L's and the smaller B's). I'm not 100% sure I like the GL from just sitting on it; I'm surprised to say I think it's too big and plasticky in the cockpit. I still like the L4701 and MX better. I could make a smaller L work.

They also had NH Workmaster and Boomer on the lot. I liked both of these for ergos, but I'm not sure I would like the two pedal HST on the Boomer. I like the location of the fuel filler and loader hydro connections on these; well thought out, among other items. I understand that these are made by LS and rebranded. I have an LS/Mahindra dealer close by; going to kick tires today for comparison.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Sorry about the land deal, keep 'looking', good luck. Compared to the craftsman mower, anything you get will be a huge time saver. Kick as many tires as you can.

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
So I had a bad and good day of tire kicking today, but the net result was good. I went to the closest green dealer where they had the the 25, 32, and 38 3E series tractors on display. They all had black mold on the seats and plastic handles because they leave them out front 24/7. These tractors are smaller than I want, but the cockpits are nicer than the the small L series orange tractors. Starting to like the two pedal setup for HST. Unfortunately, this green dealer is more Ag-oriented so it's hard to get any CUT attention. Same at green dealer #2, where they had a moldy 25 and a couple of 1 Series units. I decided it was easier to just eliminate green; too much hassle.

So I went to a relatively new location (about two years old, but with a longer history in a neighboring town) with blue and red tractors. I didn't tell the salesman/owner my preference (blue) but he told me his (red). As we were walking toward the red side, he asked me about my applications. By the time I was done answering, he decided the blue side would be better! Unfortunately, all the new blues that fit my wants and needs were shuttles. So he asked if I would be interested in used; I said I wouldn't rule it out.

So he let me try out a blue one that was two pedal HST in the size I prefer. One year old trade in with 48 hours at a price that's worth further investigation. Specs are loosely comparable to a 3560/4060. My best friend used one as a fencing contractor one year and says it did well. Purchased from same dealer. Encouraging.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I think the L2501 will do everything you are looking for. I have 18 acres similar to yours and mine has been great. I don't think I would try to run anything wider than 5 feet though. Sometimes I wish it had more power, but I sure like having no emissions nonsense.
PTO HP for a larger mower would be my only concern. Weight isn't much of a difference. Once that grass/weed gets up to about 6 inches and you have any slopes the a 25 HP engine may have trouble.

The emissions stuff really isnt significant, I would just get the HP you need for the implements/applications you need. That said I would do L2501 or L3901. I agree going to L33 adding a DPF doesn't make much sense.

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
During my travels today, I found a green dealer that was not large Ag; apparently it's a real thing that there are large and small Ag green dealerships. Anyway, this one was really nice. Gave the salesman an 8.5 out of 10; deduct half point for not knowing the knob below the seat affects the 3-point drop speed, half point for a couple of false competitive spec comparisons, and half point for bringing up, but not knowing the true history and status of another competitor. Other than that, he spent a long time with me and let me drive a 46hp HST and a 66hp gear/shuttle model. I actually enjoyed the shift model better. Green is definitely the Harley Davidson of tractors; pretty dealerships and expensive rides. Man, they are high! Anyway, the search continues.