Help picking out a first tractor

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
This is going to be long, but it gets shorter the longer you keep reading. Thanks in advance! New member here and done all the searching and reading I can take without posting my own "help" thread. This is a great forum and I have enjoyed learning and getting to know folks. I've attached an overhead of my property with what I currently own and tend inside the orange rectangle. It's 3 acres, flat, half basically wide open and the other half wooded. I've been mowing with a 42 inch riding mower for 10 years and it takes almost 5 hours to mow and I don't enjoy it. I once bought a Kubota 60 inch zero turn that knocked that down to one hour, but I didn't enjoy the payments for only cutting grass. The alternative was an excellent, used Grand L HST with all the useful implements that I foolishly turned down for the ZT; lesson learned. I'm ready to move on from the rider to a tractor and have been considering (in order) the L2501, B2650, and any/all larger tractors.

In order, my needs are mowing, leveling the drive (300 feet gravel and dirt), tending to my burn pile, and clearing limbs (lots of trees with big limbs that fall). The only trick to mowing is the oak roots that want to grown above ground in the back. I have some big projects coming up (removing old debris, lots of cross tie fencing, and overgrowth, etc. and a good rock spreading project). My dealer said the L2501 HST with loader and LP 5-foot finisher was more than adequate for my needs (they know my property) and they wanted to keep me out of the DPF issue. With the LP 4-foot grapple and 3rd function installed, they quoted $22950 delivered before tax. It's not the final equipment list I want, but for my small town with established dealer I know, I don't think it's a terrible price.

I've been struggling with wanting MMM instead of RFM, which is why the B2650 entered the mix. I also like some of the nicer features of the B, but I can't find one anywhere to look at or test. I like that the L is heavier and has the larger displacement engine. If I can convince myself that I can get a satisfactory mowing experience from RFM, then it almost answers my question, because...

I want to acquire the rest of the land around me inside the shown tree line which would bring my total up to about 10 acres. Even if I can't buy it, I want to ask the owner if I can tend it as if it were mine. It would need to be hogged several times per year and I might even improve it or decide to keep some rescue livestock on it or something. Grand plans in my head! Also, I've been looking at land plots of 20-60 acres nearby which would require trailering up to 30 miles. If I did something like this, I would just be improving the land for fun and personal recreation opportunities.

I'm sure the L2501 will realistically do anything I want/need to do, but I haven't discounted a larger machine (I don't think I'm worried about DPF regens). The only PTO implements I foresee running are finishing mower and hogger if I can make a land deal. The most I could spend is probably L3901 money; more than that and everything gets bigger, more expensive and harder to justify on all fronts.

I think I want a 6-foot instead of 5-foot RFM, a grader instead of box blade for the drive, a tooth bar for tending my burn pile, an EA grapple instead of the LP version, and some pallet forks. I guess a 5-foot hogger would do but a 6-foot would be better.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You say L3901 is your limit....what about a L3301?

Might get you to the PTO HP for a 6-footer, but my concern is if it would be able to lift it well due to weight.

Not that familiar with the L series, so it's just what I would explore.

tjborowicz

Oct 16, 2018
Flushing Michigan
I'm in the same boat. Those L2501's seem to be a good competitor. Also, check around on pricing. I've found dealers around me to have some big differences in price

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
You say L3901 is your limit....what about a L3301?

Might get you to the PTO HP for a 6-footer, but my concern is if it would be able to lift it well due to weight.

Not that familiar with the L series, so it's just what I would explore.
In round numbers, the 33 is $3000 more for 7 PTO HP more and the 39 is another $2000 for 4 PTO HP more on top of that. It comes down to if more is good, a little more than that might be better! The 25, 33, and 39 can all lift about the same weight. I think the 33 is the proverbial middle child in this thing and probably the least popular of the three. Just speculation and exploration.

The LP performance match grid says both the 33 and 39 are good with all the 6-foot bush hogs and finish mowers, so it's a PTO HP issue I believe.

Last edited:

Ace111799

Equipment
L2501
Jul 17, 2018
Shelbyville, Kentucky
I think the L2501 will do everything you are looking for. I have 18 acres similar to yours and mine has been great. I don't think I would try to run anything wider than 5 feet though. Sometimes I wish it had more power, but I sure like having no emissions nonsense.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
In round numbers, the 33 is $3000 more for 7 PTO HP more and the 39 is another $2000 for 4 PTO HP more on top of that. It comes down to if more is good, a little more than that might be better! The 25, 33, and 39 can all lift about the same weight. I think the 33 is the proverbial middle child in this thing and probably the least popular of the three. Just speculation and exploration.

The LP performance match grid says both the 33 and 39 are good with all the 6-foot bush hogs and finish mowers, so it's a PTO HP issue I believe.
Certainly does make sense.

Makes it more of a 25/39 choice for the 11 PTO HP/$5k difference.

Couple guys have gone through similar analyses with larger tractors, and I think both ended up with the higher-HP machine.

With that said, like Ace, many guys/gals here are pretty happy with the L2501.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
The bottom line is get the biggest one that fits your budget you will always wish you had a bigger tractor but at least you will be able to pay your bills. :)

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
The bottom line is get the biggest one that fits your budget you will always wish you had a bigger tractor but at least you will be able to pay your bills. :)
Sticking to budget is a good idea. One of our local dealers told me that he always recommends a Grand L over an L IF the customer can get it in their budget. Not just because he can sell a higher priced tractor, but because the included amenities and greater hydro capability compared to an L outweighs the additional cost. So in his world, if one were considering a 3901 or even the 4701, then the recommendation would be the 3560 before either of these. All depends on what you want/need.

I'm going back to the dealer today to get a closer look at everything he has in stock. I only looked at the 2501 last time.

southernboy

Equipment
Kubota L2501 4WD HST, LA525 Loader, Land Pride RCR1260 Cutter, Land Pride BB1260
Jul 25, 2018
Boaz, Alabama
I have 10 acres that I maintain with my L2501 HST. I run a 5 ft LP Bush Hog , 7 ft NH Sickle Bar Mower 5 ft Box Blade and a small round baler. It does everything that I need to do and the price was right plus no emissions stuff to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
I have 10 acres that I maintain with my L2501 HST. I run a 5 ft LP Bush Hog , 7 ft NH Sickle Bar Mower 5 ft Box Blade and a small round baler. It does everything that I need to do and the price was right plus no emissions stuff to deal with.
Thanks for that data point. Yes, I'm almost sure the 25 is all I need and after running numbers on all the standard L's and the smallest Grand L with the implements I would want up front, I go over budget at the 3301. That made me start checking the used market to see what's available in larger, pre-emission units. I've found some interesting candidates I may call about.

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
Update on my tractor shopping. I have eliminated the used market; just too unpredictable and difficult to trust, plus the free money incentive is too hard to pass up (my normal loan source that used to be around 4% is up to 6.25% - no good). Since both tractor and tasks are hobby-like for me, and I know exactly what I'll be getting into, new makes the most sense.

I started over with the Standard L's, the two "smallest" Grand L's, and the MX4800 all in the running. I compared specs and local prices with the implements I would select for each tractor. Starting out, I didn't worry about setting a budget or a size limit; I wanted to see how the numbers shook out. So I had my spreadsheet with all this information, but I also had some practical considerations in my back pocket based on everything I've read and seen on the 'net, plus my gut feeling of what size and price I can tolerate.

• It doesn't matter how close the specs seem on paper, a few inches on a tractor can make a big difference. A 4701 is significantly bigger than a 2501 in real life. A 4800 is significantly bigger than a 4701 in real life. It's amazing when you get away from the numbers how much bigger a tractor is when you're standing next to it. For this reason, the 4800 and 4060 were eliminated immediately because I realized that any tractor larger than six feet wide overall (not counting bucket here; thinking about mowing) was too wide. With R4 tires, everything but the small frame L's is six feet or wider, but I wasn't ready to eliminate the 4701 or 3560 yet.
  • Honestly, I don't need a tractor larger than a small frame L, so can I narrow three down to one? For me, there's no reason to get the 3301; the numbers show that at about $2k more, the 3901 makes more sense. It gets more out of the 111ci engine and has the lowest PTO hp/dollar. The only reason to get the 2501 is (a) you're freaked out by the DPF, (b) your needs are more loader based than mower based, (c) or you don't have the extra $5k to spend. None of these criteria apply to me, so I eliminated the 2501 and 3301.
  • This leaves, in order of price, the 3901, 3560, and 4701. The 3901 gives me the size that is practical, the HP to pull 6-foot mowers and the lowest price. What I don't like is the basic controls/amenities and the potential that I might want a heavier machine in the future. The 3560 is $60 more per month (this includes all implements I want and tax), has the same engine and output as the 3901, but puts on another 700 pounds and all the niceties of the Grand L series. To keep the price and complexity down, I spec'd it with the LA555 loader which most folks would probably say isn't the best idea (the larger loader and bucket adds about $1000). The 4701 is about the same size as the 3560, has a few more important cockpit amenities than the 3901 (but nowhere near as many as the 3560), and offers more raw horsepower than both since it has the 4-cyl. It's also $50/month more than the 3560 ($110/month more than the 3901).
  • Every dealer has both Standard L models in gear and HST to look at and drive. Nobody has Grand L's on the lot, not that I can find. It's hard to not pick the 4701 over the 3901 based on future proof size and HP, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for a machine that is 70-80% mowing flat acres. It's also a lot more money. Comparing to the 3901, the 3560 is 10% more expensive and it appears to be worth it. I'm not sure the 4701 is worth the 20% premium for my application.

So these are the top three contenders. My neighbor is running a 3130 on a little more land than I have; it's the older 3560. I should not spend 4701 money on a tractor, especially when a Grand L is out there that is less expensive and will do anything I could possibly want. I wish there were Grand L on a 3901 chassis. A B comes close, but it's smaller than I want. So I think I'm at the point where I need to find a 3560 and a 3901 on the same lot.

Tractor shopping is fun.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Can I ask about where in Arkansas? I'm on the Missouri / Arkansas border and I bought my tractor in Berryville. I can't say enough good things about the dealer and his crew.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Thats a lot of money, for a 6ft RFM! ALOT of money.

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
Can I ask about where in Arkansas? I'm on the Missouri / Arkansas border and I bought my tractor in Berryville. I can't say enough good things about the dealer and his crew.
Thanks. I'm about as far away from you as it gets on the Arkansas, Mississippi AND Louisiana borders. Deep in the MS delta. I do have a dealer in my town, but I've checked the four closest dealers and they have everything but the luxury tractors.

DaddyFlip

Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas, USA
Thats a lot of money, for a 6ft RFM! ALOT of money.
At first, I dismissed your comment as, "Yes dear, I know." But then I reconsidered the 2501 elimination criteria: The only reason to get the 2501 is (a) you're freaked out by the DPF, (b) your needs are more loader based than mower based, (c) or you don't have the extra $5k to spend.

For the same money as my 3901 configuration with 6ft mower, I could buy a 2501 for loading, grading, and grappling and have 8 grand leftover to purchase a mowing machine. And no DPF issues on either. Or for 5500 left for a mowing machine, I could add a 5-foot mower to the 2501 and get the mowing done in record time (as long as I had a helper to run one of the machines). In fact, that's what my neighbor does; wife runs the zero turn while he's on the RFM.

OTOH, it's easier to justify a more awesome tractor if it has to mow also. I've had a multi-kilobuck Kubota zero turn before and it was just okay. I don't know; maybe dropping 3-4 times what I paid for that on a tractor would bring on 3-4 times the buyer's remorse.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Thanks. I'm about as far away from you as it gets on the Arkansas, Mississippi AND Louisiana borders. Deep in the MS delta. I do have a dealer in my town, but I've checked the four closest dealers and they have everything but the luxury tractors.
I wish you the luck I have had with my dealer. If you check around online many dealers will match or better those offers.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Sounds like you're on the right track. I went with the slightly smaller but more comfortable B2650. I use it mostly for the loader and the backhoe though, no mowing. I use my ZT for mowing. Keep in mind that no matter what tractor/mower combo you end up with, your mow time will be significantly longer that it was on your ZT. So, make sure you are comfortable with the seating and control ergonomics. Personally, I didn't like the ergonomics on any of the standard L series, and I didn't want to spend the $$ for a grand L, so the larger of the B series was it for me. Good luck with acquiring more acreage.