Help, no start after fuel filter change

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
-5*f and my L4630 would not start.
I dropped the fuel filter to find it covered with a white, waxy coating although the fuel in the plastic bowl was liquid.
I put a new filter in along with some PS 911.
Then added PS 911 and some PS white to the fuel tank, mixed it with stirrer as best I could and tried to start it.
Well 1/2 hr later, and still no start although it will fire and run for a few seconds before quitting.
I figured I would give the battery a chance to charge and the starter time to cool while I post this with you all in hopes of getting some advice.
This is the first time I have ever had starting issues in the years of ownership through all kinds of weather although this is the longest run of very cold temps we've had in years.

Old Sprint Fan

May 14, 2014
East Grand Forks MN
-5*f and my L4630 would not start.
I dropped the fuel filter to find it covered with a white, waxy coating although the fuel in the plastic bowl was liquid.
I put a new filter in along with some PS 911.
Then added PS 911 and some PS white to the fuel tank, mixed it with stirrer as best I could and tried to start it.
Well 1/2 hr later, and still no start although it will fire and run for a few seconds before quitting.
I figured I would give the battery a chance to charge and the starter time to cool while I post this with you all in hopes of getting some advice.
This is the first time I have ever had starting issues in the years of ownership through all kinds of weather although this is the longest run of very cold temps we've had in years.
try loosening the injector lines and spin the starter. as soon as fuel comes out in a good stream, stop and tighten the lines

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
It might help to parallel the battery with jumper cables to a running vehicle. Cold affects the battery capacity.

No.1 diesel during cold wx. Sounds like it is still clogging.

Glow plugs for instruction book time.

Block heater for oil.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
So, I went back out and gave it another few tries before it got too dark and it finally started. I think it just took many partial starts to get the air/gelled fuel replaced by the 911 treated fuel in the tank. It probably would have started faster had I cracked the injector lines.
After it warmed up, I put it in the shop which I can heat , if no start reoccurs tomorrow.
I neglected treating my fuel this winter and paid the price.
From now on, nothing but PS treated fuel is going in the old girl.
Thanks for all the tips.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Could have been a little too much 911, too. all it generally takes is a little of the alcohol based stuff. diesels will idle on it, but then die, when you bump the throttle up. BTDT!:D

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Could have been a little too much 911, too. all it generally takes is a little of the alcohol based stuff. diesels will idle on it, but then die, when you bump the throttle up. BTDT!:D
I did 50/50 as on the bottle and maybe 6 oz. in the tank, maybe a little much.
I see tomorrow; it' supposed to be colder but at least she is indoors.