HELP**** Need manual/info for 1200 FEL

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Ok, so I got the right part numbers from here to order the packing kits for my 1200 FEL on my L245DT and I started on the rebuild only to hit a brick wall. :eek: :eek: :mad:
I have built many cylinders so the task didn't bother me one bit but one seal in the bucket cylinder was so badly damaged that I can't tell how to position the new seals. Now I need a manual that is explicit with instructions of how each seal is positioned and installed.

Anyone have a manual that tells how the seals in the rod end cap are arranged? One seal is a combination and the lip faces the pressure so that is not hard to figure out. The second one that goes with it in the same groove is flat on one side and slightly concaved on the other side. Both of these are to install together but I can't tell which one goes where in this spot. :(
TIA

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Surely someone has a manual or experience to share here.
I talked to a mechanic at a Kubota dealer but we could not find any information on this K-1200 FEL and he had not seen this specific seal shape before, so that didn't help. We discussed our best guesses but I need this right the first time because I don't have time or money to do it over.

Help me out here Orange buddies, please. :)

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I think I have a soft copy on my computer at work. Send me an email and I'll get you a copy next week. I think it was scanned, so the quality is not great, it may not have the detail you are looking for. I've done one of my curl cylinders but it's been 4-5 years ago.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I think I have a soft copy on my computer at work. Send me an email and I'll get you a copy next week. I think it was scanned, so the quality is not great, it may not have the detail you are looking for. I've done one of my curl cylinders but it's been 4-5 years ago.

Great thanks I will take you up on that. trofeo@bellsouth.net

The specific seal pack is in the end cap of the bucket cylinder and we can't figure out if the concaved side faces the combination/multi-piece seal or if the curved side faces the pressure in a normal arrangement of facing pressure? Both of these seals fit together in the same groove but how they lay together is stumping me since the old one can't be followed due to damage/wear.

In the scenario of both seal lips/curves facing pressure this would seem to make the pressure act on both seals to compound one into the other for more sealing force. In the scenario of the smaller curved one facing the lip of the combination/multi-piece seal it would seem the combo seal holds pressure for the rod going out and the smaller curved one keeps pressure on the combo seal for the rod moving in. :confused::confused::confused:
Without some direction I can't tell which way to place them.

Thanks for your help on this. One way or another I will get it all going.

Did you have to replace the shifter cover plate on the transmission of your L245DT?
This used one I picked up is badly wollered out and the pins holding the shift lever are loose so I had to get the whole plate and shifter.

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
It sounds as though it may be a back up ring to help fill the groove that the main seal sits in. A pic would help if you can post it.

Click on the first pic that shows up on this link and then click the right arrow to the 12th pic. If they come up in the same order it will be for powerseal.en. something or other. Anything in that pic help???

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...angement&fr2=sa-gp-search&fr=yfp-t-412-s&fp=1

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I tore the other side down to see if the seal was intact enough to see how it was stacked in and how it was arranged. It was in good enough shape to add to the confusion. The combo/main seal was facing the pressure as hydraulic principal would work but it was also facing the fluid. The piece with it was flat on both sides and sat behind the main seal. In this gland from the other side which did not leak too much the arrangement was different but in good enough shape to see how it was. What is worse now is that the seal kit from Kubota does not have this backing seal in it. :eek::mad::eek::eek::confused::confused: So now what:confused:

Obviously someone has been in this machine before because I also found a lot of tool marks on the internal components. Bunch of sloppy hacks and butchers must have worked on this because the seals were not even the same from side to side. Since the one side didn't leak as much as the really bad side I might assume the seals were installed right even though the hacks really marked up the inside. I would not have butchers like this working for me. :mad:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
It sounds as though it may be a back up ring to help fill the groove that the main seal sits in. A pic would help if you can post it.

Click on the first pic that shows up on this link and then click the right arrow to the 12th pic. If they come up in the same order it will be for powerseal.en. something or other. Anything in that pic help???

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...angement&fr2=sa-gp-search&fr=yfp-t-412-s&fp=1

Yes, the other side looks like you mentioned with a backing ring.
My exact configuration was not in the pic you mentioned. Mine is the "gland" style and the groove is deep enough for two pieces so the "backing" method must be what it is.
Hopefully I can get a look at the Kubota info on this because the kit does not have a backing ring in it but the gland from the other side did.
Houston we have a problem. :confused:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Skylab, you were instructed to remove that word from your vocabulary!

I'm wondering if the cylinders are the ones specified on the 1200, or perhaps substitutes?

Oh yea...... "opportunity" lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: sorry my tractor is not P.C. lol

These cylinders are the original equipment with this 1200 as well as I know anyway. The gland style barrels were all 1200's and the seal kit contents have all fit in the places the others came from. So far all the seals match from the kit and my parts. Just this backing thing is not there. :confused:
I wonder of design change, year, mfg date etc. Something must explain this.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Thanks a ton to MagKarl for sending me the 1200 FEL manual.
So the conclusion of this story is that the later information simply deletes the backing ring that shows in the early information. For reasons unknown to me the new parts do not use the backing ring as this FEL was originally built. The 1200 manual shows the backing ring clear as day but the new kit does not have it.
I will go back together as the new diagram shows without the backing ring. One cylinder had this ring and one did not. The cylinder that did not have the backing ring was the one that was pouring out fluid. The side with the backing ring only had a small drip that just started recently while the side without has been running out for a while.
It would seem by the condition of my cylinders, that if I had a choice I would have the backing ring since that side was not a big leak issue. Hopefully it is a non-issue since Kubota has deleted it.

Well there you go for the explanation of this solution and thanks to MagKarl for the information that told the story.
I knew my orange brethren could help me...................the dealer could not find this info. :rolleyes: