help my wheel fell off

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
I was driving along and the front wheel fell off. i took some pictures but I dont know how to put them on the forum.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am assuming you mean your tractor and not your car,, Soooooo how did it fall off did the lug nuts come off, the axle come out of the housing did the tire come off the rim,,, a little more information if you please and what would you like to know?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
What model tractor? OOPS you post the model while I was typing this reply.

To post a picture, click on the "Manage Attachments" button in the Additional Option window below where your typing. Then browse to the location on your computer where the picture is stored, select the picture, and click the "upload" button.
Note that if the original photo is too large, you would need to open the photo is Windows Paint program (or similar) and use the "resize" feature to shrink the photo.

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
I would like to know if I could fix this myself. I just spent over 800.00 paying MB tractor in Eliot maine to please go through the tractor and make sure everything is A ok. So I can rest a sure its set to go this winter.:mad:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Sure you can fix this yourself. it just depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

You could remove broken axle shaft and have it reweld to axle flange. Or buy a new axle shaft (that is what I'd do). At Messick's the axle is around $162.00 http://www.messicks.com/part/32721-57323/shaft-front-axl

Attachments

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
That looks like that had rusted out for some time. I would go back to the place you threw down $800 and say WTF you missed something. Had they taken the wheel off they should have seen that problem.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I doubt a shop would have caught that. A decen machine shop could fix it without a great deal of work. My local machinist would charge me 100 to fix it. I know he has a jig to weld shafts square to plate.

That being said, a new replacement would be ready to pop in. No waiting on a machinist. For the money, it would be the easiest route.may need a bearing or two, a couple seals and a snap ring or two. That all depends on what you find when its all apart.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Looking at the third picture, it looks like it was broke and welded up once already. Either way, I'd be replacing it with a new axle.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
besides the rust, I'd assume that it takes a pretty big side load to break an axle like that. someone in that tractors life may have been pretty rough on it.

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
I really appreciate all the help. So when I order the new axle I should order two bearings, two seals and two snap rings to make sure. I hope one or some of you will help me through this. Thanks a bunch. filix.

filix

Mar 23, 2015
arundel
The wheel fell off 20' from my barn. I would like to get it in there to work on. Take it out of 4 wheel drive, put a plank under the wheel, and slowly back it in to the barn. Could I make something worse by backing it in the barn.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
For $162 I think I'd opt to replace the shaft if it was my tractor. Your tractor must not be the 1st one to break as Messick's shows to have 4 shafts in stock.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Filix, you could easily enough make a skid out of a piece of plywood (or take an old snow ski) and make a sled. Then just locate it where you need it. The least resistance to the ground the better, but you won't damage anything by doing that.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
you won't do any damage by moving it a short distance. The axle shaft itself is probably intact and still sealed up.

I'd see if you can add weight to the bucket in the left front and get the tractor to settle down on the 3 wheels that it has. then lock the rear differential and back it into the barn under it's own power.