Help... cannot get input shaft back into clutch...

Kene1023

Equipment
B7100, L4200DT, 5' bushog, 4'bushog 7' BB, 6' disks, single plow, 8' flail mower
Jan 5, 2010
Ocala, Florida, USA
I have split my L4200 DT and now cannot get the input shafts to line up with the clutch.
I did not disassemble the clutch, so I do not think I need clutch alignment tool. but I cannot get the shafts to line up.
The pto shaft has no brake and uses a hydraulic clutch, so I cannot stop it from moving.
Now what do I do, the wife and I spent about 8 hrs total bumping and twisting the two halves together and no luck.

I had to clean input shaft and clutch fork arm shaft, the clutch was draging and I was unable to move shuttle shift with out the tractor creeping
Ken

Attachments

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Kene1023;48556 Now what do I do said:
Ouch, I feel your pain!

I don't have solution but I feel sure you will get a good response. There must be a method to do this.

Best of luck.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Try rotating the engine at the same time you keep some pressure on the input shaft.
Did you use dowel pins to keep the sections lined up when you slide them to gather ?

E/S

Kene1023

Equipment
B7100, L4200DT, 5' bushog, 4'bushog 7' BB, 6' disks, single plow, 8' flail mower
Jan 5, 2010
Ocala, Florida, USA
E/S,
When I keep pressure on the shaft and rotate the engine the outer gear can catch, however the inner PTO shaft spins when the clutch makes contact with it whether it is lined up or not. I cannot stop the pto shaft from spinning, it has an independent hydraulic clutch I believe.
Thanks,
Ken

bwssr

Equipment
l3200, FEL and Box blade...more to come
Feb 29, 2012
Houston, Texas
E/S,
When I keep pressure on the shaft and rotate the engine the outer gear can catch, however the inner PTO shaft spins when the clutch makes contact with it whether it is lined up or not. I cannot stop the pto shaft from spinning, it has an independent hydraulic clutch I believe.
Thanks,
Ken
can you clamp the rear PTO shaft so it wont rotate?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Is it the angle the picture is taken from that makes the two plates look out of line?
dave

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Well... start with a good cleaning, 'cause it ain't ready to go back together yet from a cleanliness stand point. All that rust needs to be gone as well as what appears to be a couple chunks of something inside the clutch/pto splines. Then a very very light coat (more of a "film" really, put some on then wipe almost all of it off) of moly grease or a dry film lubricant on the splines.
From there it is more of what you've been doing, the parting lines on the cases MUST be exactly parallel in both directions (top to bottom and side to side) as it is sliding together. Needs to be supported in a manner that allows easy rolling in/out and adjustment up and down. If there is a case cover on top I suppose you could take it off and reach down into the tranny to rotate the shaft, but.... it's a lot of extra work, and just something else to put back together.
I helped a fella put a JD 4020 back together the other day, the cases were just a hair out of parallel and it was enough to keep it from going all the way in. You really couldn't even see that it was out of square, but we raised both halves in the middle just a pinch and it slid right together. What ever you do, don't start to tighten any bolts 'till it slides clear together on its own.
Oh, and make sure the clutch pedal and throwout bearing are retracted all the way so it isn't fooling you by holding it out when it hits the pressure plate.
Good Luck!

Last edited: