HELP: 3-PT Quick Hitch and Implements Hookup

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I need some insight from the collective brain trust of the forum members.

Recently purchased a L4740-3 Cab tractor that came with a Woods 3-pt Quick Hitch. The QH seems like a great time saver when swapping implements, but ran into a number of issues when testing on current inventory of older implements.

Hooking up to the ballast box is simple enough as it is QH compatible (according to I-match sticker on it). Back blade and wood chipper need the upper link modified to accept the hook as they were built prior to QH compatibility.

Where I'm a bit stumped is with the finish mower and brush hog. Both are older Land Pride models using the swinging upper link. My question is how are these suppose to work or what am I missing? The photos below should help clarify the issues. I'm under the impression the upper link must move to accommodate uneven surfaces, which is mandatory in my situation. Keep in mind the QH has some type of additional linkage that I'm not certain what its function is or when to use it.

The upper link position varies between implements necessitating a height change to the upper link hook. This seems to defeat some advantage of the QH. Can someone point me to the QH compatibility standards, so I can modify the implement upper linkage to be dimensionally correct?

Considering the tractor has the deluxe telescoping 3-pt hitch linkages is the QH a waste of time?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attachments

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Bruce,

Thank you for the info!

It looks like my mower is a bit different than the details in your attachment #1. Item 5 on my finish mower only has 1 hole versus the two shown in the drawing. Reversing the swinging coupler causes an awkward angle to be created since the hole is positioned higher. There's not enough room to simply drill a second set of holes with the current setup. I'll give it some more thought to see what can be done.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

FYI... Stopped by my local Kubota dealer thinking they would have some suggestions/solutions since they also carry Land Pride equipment. But no luck. They are not aware of any conversion kit, solution or work around. I'm not giving up that easy.

Keep the ideas coming!

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
you might try to remove the braces to the top link extension then connect the hook directly to the horizontal pin adjusting the height of the hook up or down to be able to connect and lift the attached unit unfortunately not all attachments are not a standard height for the hook link I had to modify the lift pin setup on my snowblower now i can hook up all with relative ease with some smallvertical pin height adjustments good luck

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think that the Y part needs to attach to the mower swinging part. Then you put a pin in the open end of the Y and your hook will pick that pin up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
I think that the Y part needs to attach to the mower swinging part. Then you put a pin in the open end of the Y and your hook will pick that pin up.
Russell King is correct -you have everything needed. The top link for a rotary mower is designed to "float" and will only come into play when the mower is either picked up by the operation of the 3-point lever or if the back guide wheel drops in a hole. This "float" will keep the mower following the lay of the land.

When using a rotary mower remember that its rear depth is set by its rear wheel(s) and its front depth is set by the tractor's 3-point hitch so keep some slack in the top linkage. Typically the front dept is lower than the rear which helps keep the material from being cut many times and using more horse power and fuel then needed.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
You could use a piece of chain for a top link, as said in prior posts all it does is lift it. As for dimensions for the GH can you make all your implements the same as your ballast box?

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for all the input. I tried a number of the suggestions and a few more, but couldn't make it work at this point in time.

Fabrication will be needed, so the project will need to wait for when I have more time available. In the mean time the telescoping linkages make implement attachment relatively easy.

Thanks again for all the help!