Heated Seat

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Well the kid got a new car and it has heated seats. Wife loved them so she got a Xmas present and I had them installed in her car.
Got me thinking about the tractor...
These are carbon fiber inserts that slide in-between the foam and the vinyl.
This would be great for us cab-less folks who brave the cold, they really warm your core and work fast. The warmth on the small of your back are heaven.:)
They seem to use about 30w.
Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/universal-carbon-fiber-heated-seat-heater-kit

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Love the Idea, but most tractor seats the surface material is bonded to the foam.
One possible fix would be to put a seat cover on it, but as I found with mine, the seat cover soaked up water and made for either a wet or frozen back side.

Central Joe

Equipment
B7100 Grading Blade Disc Roto Tiller Scarifer Rake 48" Finish Mower
Mar 26, 2015
South Carolina
Not too familiar with this product, but was wondering if you could put a cover on it sort of like a heating pad? If it had a 12V plug you could put it on and off as needed. joe

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Anything can be done if you put your mind (and wallet) to it, have you considered one of those foam like hot seats they're a lot cheaper and they're portable. Myself I'd much rather have a heated steering wheel, I bought a new car a couple years ago and it has one and it's nice not to have to wear gloves when you get in a cold car.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Heated what??
Dont need no stinkin heat.

Ok, i understand the comfort of a warm seat, snow and a warm seat makes for a wet parking spot. I can handle wet hands and feet but when the butt gets wet its game over.

The heated steering wheel would be nice.

Then theres the ford heated tailgates,keeps mechanics hands warm while pushing them into shop....

Have to add, some of the heated seat kits can be trimmed to fit, including cutting the heating element. Would be the best choice. Also keep in mind most elements will fail prematurely if they get wet.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Heated what??
Dont need no stinkin heat.

Ok, i understand the comfort of a warm seat, snow and a warm seat makes for a wet parking spot. I can handle wet hands and feet but when the butt gets wet its game over.
I hate sitting down in a wet seat, and if it is raining and I have to get off to load carts or open gates it is inevitable. But I did try attaching a little tarp to the base of the rops that can be pulled forward over the seat and held to the loader arms with a couple of magnets when I get off for short stops. It is fairly fast to do, and the heavy duty magnets will keep it in place in all but a howling gale. If it's that bad may as well go inside anyway. When not in use it kind of rolls up like a slicker on the back of a saddle or stuffed down in the space behind the seat. :eek:

ps Welcome back TJ! hope your vacation was good.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
............But I did try attaching a little tarp to the base of the rops that can be pulled forward over the seat and held to the loader arms with a couple of magnets when I get off for short stops. ........................
When you were describing that approach, I pictured re-purposing a used window blind with a hook to catch the steering wheel:)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I hate sitting down in a wet seat, and if it is raining and I have to get off to load carts or open gates it is inevitable.
You seem to like blowing snow while in a heated cab, how long before you start looking into a cab for the L. When you take the doors off in summer you still have a sun shade and rain protection.:D:D

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I hate sitting down in a wet seat, and if it is raining and I have to get off to load carts or open gates it is inevitable.
I thought that's why tractor seats flip forward?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I hate sitting down in a wet seat, and if it is raining and I have to get off to load carts or open gates it is inevitable. But I did try attaching a little tarp to the base of the rops that can be pulled forward over the seat and held to the loader arms with a couple of magnets when I get off for short stops. It is fairly fast to do, and the heavy duty magnets will keep it in place in all but a howling gale. If it's that bad may as well go inside anyway. When not in use it kind of rolls up like a slicker on the back of a saddle or stuffed down in the space behind the seat. :eek:

ps Welcome back TJ! hope your vacation was good.
Thanks,it was awesome! Missed two snowstorms and -45 temps. Is only -15 this morning and supposed to be above freezing this week.

There are heated undergarments and socks,milwaukee sells a heated parka so there are alternatives. Theres a guy in town here that wears shorts in the dead of winter.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Would the Alternator even put out enough juice for a heated seat or suit?

PS- another source for heated suits, gloves etc. is the motorcycle and snowmobile world.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Would the Alternator even put out enough juice for a heated seat or suit?

PS- another source for heated suits, gloves etc. is the motorcycle and snowmobile world.
I would imagine the tractor will hold up to 1500 watts....best have a good wire and good 15 amp fuse!

I am curious how "hot" a 30 watt heated seat would be ! I am using 40 watt soldering iron .....yes it gets hotter than .....'ell! But it is heating a smaaaalllll tip, not my fanny nor my backside!:D:)

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I would imagine the tractor will hold up to 1500 watts....best have a good wire and good 15 amp fuse!

I am curious how "hot" a 30 watt heated seat would be ! I am using 40 watt soldering iron .....yes it gets hotter than .....'ell! But it is heating a smaaaalllll tip, not my fanny nor my backside!:D:)
If you can get 1500 watts out of a 15amp fuse on a 12v system I think you'll take out Tesla (the man not the car) in a genius contest.

Volts x Amps = Watts.

In order to get 15,000 watts out of a 12v system you would be pulling 125 amps...Way more than any conventional tractor.

Your household 120v setup is considerably more efficient at transferring power to your soldering iron. This is the same principal behind high voltage transmission lines and why they are efficient over long distances. Increase the voltage and lower the current for the same work output. A 1,500 watt heater plugged into the wall is still using the better half of a 15amp breaker and that's at 120v. At 12v, generating high wattage for any heating needs is certainly a uphill battle.

Last edited:

danrn2500

Equipment
B2920, belly mower, loader, PHD, 3 point box
Jan 16, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO.
I have a heated water proof motorcycle suite that works great. I have a battery trickle charger on the Kubota, and can plug the suite into this plug.:D

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My heated motorcycle vest draws 3 amps, a jacket with collar and sleeves is closer to 5 amps. Gloves or heated grips are typically 3 amps or so. The heated seats in my car draw 5 amps each on high.

The specs say my B7100 dynamo can generate 10 amps. Other models may be better, but I suggest adding up the electrical loads and checking the alternator output before adding too many electrical heating elements.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you can get 1500 watts out of a 15amp fuse on a 12v system I think you'll take out Tesla (the man not the car) in a genius contest.

Volts x Amps = Watts.

In order to get 15,000 watts out of a 12v system you would be pulling 125 amps...Way more than any conventional tractor. (you have same disease too)

I hate when the zero sticks!:D:) ......mind said 150 watts......hands said add another zero wtf!:D

hand, slap other hand and say "bad boy!"

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire

Volts x Amps = Watts.

In order to get 15,000 watts out of a 12v system you would be pulling 125 amps...Way more than any conventional tractor. (you have same disease too)

I hate when the zero sticks!:D:) ......mind said 150 watts......hands said add another zero wtf!:D

hand, slap other hand and say "bad boy!"
How funny is that. I saw your mistake and raised you the same one!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How funny is that. I saw your mistake and raised you the same one!
I say we find a couple of batteries, get about o' 10 of them...........parallel the hell out of them.............and then get some double aught wire, and then make a seat that will blister the ol' buns!!!!:D:)

Just leave the tractor near the snow.....the seat itself will melt everything around it!:eek: