Harbor Freight tools....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Found this link to get other's opinions of how the tool worked for them.

http://hfreviews.com/reviews.php

About 3 years ago I bought one of their multifunction power tools. I needed it for one job, and that's all I expected to get from it. I'm still using it and use it often.

I buy the cutting tools off of Ebay. They have a Japanese saw blade for plunge cutting. Allows you to cut a trim board out without removing the entire piece of trim!

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=8707

Kyle_CMU

Equipment
BX1870 and B7100D - HST
Mar 27, 2013
Midland, MI, USA
I bought a HF angle grinder for $17 for a project once. I figured it would be a great test, it only needed to last a week or so, and at $17, if it broke right away it wasn't a big deal.

That was 8 years ago and it still works. I don't use it everyday, but it has definitely paid its dues. I'd think twice on precision tools, but where fine accuracy isn't an issue, they can be amazing values.

Thanks for the link.

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
I have the 20 ton press, a couple of 3 ton jacks, a couple sets of deep well impact sockets, that multifunction tool and several more little things and no problem, but I don't use them to make my living.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Found this link to get other's opinions of how the tool worked for them.

http://hfreviews.com/reviews.php

About 3 years ago I bought one of their multifunction power tools. I needed it for one job, and that's all I expected to get from it. I'm still using it and use it often.

I buy the cutting tools off of Ebay. They have a Japanese saw blade for plunge cutting. Allows you to cut a trim board out without removing the entire piece of trim!

http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=8707
I have bought lots of stuff from them too - each time knowing it could last 10 minutes or ten years.....

last tool was an oscillating multi tool( same one you got I think).....think I got it for 17 bucks,

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multi-tool-62279.html

still works, sounds like the innards are gonna come out, but with any type of good blade it works well. I buy all my 1/8" pilot twist bits from them too, in the 10 packs.....kids break them so fast, no need to have anything super nice!;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
That type of tool is awesome. Have used a similar one many times. Thinking to buy one when i do flooring in house. Cut enough off bottom edge to slip laminate under it. Saves pulling and damaging trim and walls.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I needed one of these guys before Fein's patent expired and paid a horrific price for it. That said, these units (and now the much cheaper knock offs) do things that nothing else will do - I have used it a LOT.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
they usually have about 3 different levels heavy duty or motor power you might say of, for the same tool. I usually get the second level and they last a couple years. My HB sawzall's case broke though the elelctronics are fine. But I was cutting 6" or so logs most every day with it last winter. (my wood stove only takes about 12" logs. very small... so cut them in half in house before throwing them in. )

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I bought a angle body grinder from Harbor Freight to clean some wheels up off my Willys thought if it lasted the job I'd be happy . I've had the grinder 7 years now still going strong not a bad tool for $19.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess it just depends on the lot number, like the man said 10 min or 10 years, just the luck of the draw. To be honest I have never had good luck with HF, but I have been looking at the 45 watt solar pannel, just to muck about with. I know its nothing super but it might be a good spot to start a learning curve

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Beware the HF grinders....

A buddy had his finger nearly sheared off when the shaft separated from his HF grinder. Always check the free play (in and out) and if its getting excessive, think about chucking that one.

I check mine all the time... I have six of them. AND a DeWalt!

:)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
That type of tool is awesome. Have used a similar one many times. Thinking to buy one when i do flooring in house. Cut enough off bottom edge to slip laminate under it. Saves pulling and damaging trim and walls.
An oscillating saw works very well to undercut trim for laminate (or any other flooring). The biggest key is to cut parallel to the floor. It is pretty easy to have the blade cocked, so that as the laminate extends under the trim, it gets tight, or doesn't fit under. I've got jamb saws, but I like using the oscillating saw because it is both less violent/dangerous, and it isn't as loud. It also doesn't kick up dust.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have quite a bunch of HF stuff - some great, some not so much....

Tool boxes - 4 of them - can't beat them for the price - but pick them up at the store so you can check for damage.

Couple of the "better" 4.5" angle grinders - love 'em!!

SDS Rotary Hammer drill - for 1 job ~$70. Used it several time since. Chuck is funky, but much better than $250 for one similar. Also get the SDS masonry bits there, too. Buy a pack for the price of 1 at Lowes/HD, etc.

Torque wrenches - same as you get at Tractor Supply. 1/4" was garbage - took it back and 2nd one is decent. Others are fine.

3 ton floor jack - great for $80

Combination wrenches - some don't fit their size. The ratcheting ones have been good, and I've honked on a few pretty hard. Wish they had them larger sizes - 20mm+

Electric 1/2" impact - not lovin' it. Not much torque and the wire collar socket hold is junk. Still works okay...but my least favorite.

I even got a metal detector there - damn thing is cheapie, but pretty cool!! Found my buried curb box, and neighbors' survey pins for them!