Had a blast Tuesday & Wednesday!!!

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
I had an absolute blast Tuesday & Wednesday playing, er working in the snow with my BX. I live in a small village and I even snuck out on the side streets and used my rear blade to remove snow from them. I stopped counting drive ways that I cleaned off at forteen. Even went down to the local church and cleaned them out. I probably made some guy's who get paid to do that stuff a little mad. Sorry.:( But is was fun.:D Then I got to do the whole thing over again on Wednesday:D:D

Awesome:D

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I had an absolute blast Tuesday & Wednesday playing, er working in the snow with my BX. I live in a small village and I even snuck out on the side streets and used my rear blade to remove snow from them. I stopped counting drive ways that I cleaned off at forteen. Even went down to the local church and cleaned them out. I probably made some guy's who get paid to do that stuff a little mad. Sorry.:( But is was fun.:D Then I got to do the whole thing over again on Wednesday:D:D

Sure is great to hear your enjoying yourself. I've been there and done that same thing and I've learned that you shouldn't start anything that you don't intend to continue.

Most of those folks are going to expect the same treatment after each snow storm now that you started plowing them out and if you don't continue to plow them out some of them may not even talk to you again. Worst still. The more you plow them out the less they'll appreciate it.

When it comes to the guys who go out and make a business out of plowing they'll probably get so mad at you that they'll call the police and say your operating a machine that's not licensed or insured.
Well it may be different where you live. It happened to me years ago and I never did it again.

I don't mean to discourage you but people can be such a disappointment some times :mad:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California

Dude, you was tractor drunk :eek:

Scott

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Sure is great to hear your enjoying yourself. I've been there and done that same thing and I've learned that you shouldn't start anything that you don't intend to continue.

Most of those folks are going to expect the same treatment after each snow storm now that you started plowing them out and if you don't continue to plow them out some of them may not even talk to you again. Worst still. The more you plow them out the less they'll appreciate it.

When it comes to the guys who go out and make a business out of plowing they'll probably get so mad at you that they'll call the police and say your operating a machine that's not licensed or insured.
Well it may be different where you live. It happened to me years ago and I never did it again.

I don't mean to discourage you but people can be such a disappointment some times :mad:
Sometimes it really is difficult to be the nice guy with good intentions.

"What am I in the poky for? I plowed the snow in the church parking lot"

ptwyz, keep your head up your doing good things for people. I'd buy you a couple of beers if I could.

Scott

Wildfire

Equipment
Sometimes it really is difficult to be the nice guy with good intentions.

"What am I in the poky for? I plowed the snow in the church parking lot"

ptwyz, keep your head up your doing good things for people. I'd buy you a couple of beers if I could.

Scott
Your right. It's great to do nice things for people as ptwyz has and maybe folks are different where you guys live. I remember a few years ago a local ended up in court because a good Samaritan offered to give another disabled driver a boost to get them going which he did. Turns out something happened to the charging system to the vehicle that was being boosted and the dealership said it was caused by not boosting properly. The owner of the stranded vehicle sued and got all damages paid for. If that wouldn't make a guy shy of helping again I don't know what would.

I'm not saying you shouldn't help others. I'd be the first to do so BUT I am very cautious doing so. It's just a sign of the times :(

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ditto on being cautious. I usually ask first. Some people just don't want other people messing with their property. Some of the people that I do snow for, know that I am glad to do this kind of thing and will tell me of a friend or relative that is plugged in with snow. Next time I am out with the tractor I stop by. But just this year I had a man, the son of these older folks that were snowed in. He came out and said Don't do that. So now I ask.:D dusty

regularjay

Equipment
B7200E
Jun 21, 2009
Harford County, MD USA
Now that you have been nice enough to plow the Church are you ready to be liable when someone slips and falls? Hate to be a Debbie Downer but the predatory personal injury lawyers will certainly see to it that your kindess gets rewarded.

+1 on the folks being rude about it. In january we got about 2' of snow here I plowed out my fairly new neighbors who couldn't be bothered to even say "thanks" We've had almost 4' in the last week and I havent been back. I have a plow on my truck, a bucket and scraper on my Kubota and an awesome 42" 2 stage blower on my Simplicity I could have easily cleaned them out again but instead they shoveled for over 12 hours.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Aint it amazing how far a simple Thank You will go? Back inthe day I had a New Jeep truck (74) with an OLD Myers blade. We had about 22 inches of snow over a 24 hour peroid, and I did the same thing helped where I could, most people said thanks a lot never said a thing. But an elderly Lady I plowed out had a drivway over a 1/4 long back to the farm house, she wasnt getting out, I plowed the drive way out pushed a turn around for her and left,, never thought a thing about it untill I got a sumins in the mail she charged me with trespassing. It was thrown out but I was told in no uncertin terms by the magastrate never do anything like that again, even though my intentions were honorable, with out asking first. Not a problem,,,, Her son contacted me and asked if i would please plow her driveway and he would pay what I asked. Funny how my truck was down for some reason everytime it snow and he called.
Peace
Skeets

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
I am beginning to know what you guy's mean. It's been a couple of day's now, and the only guy to come and say thank you was the guy, (younger than me, but he was working twelve hours), two houses down. He gave me some venison summer sausage. I didn't do it to get paid or get gifts, I just saw that it needed to be done. The other thing is, most of the people probably didn't even know it was me. Which is cool, like I said, I didn't do it to be popular or get anything out of it except the satisfaction that one person helped out another.

Unfortunately political correctness does'nt allow for people to help each other out anymore.

Wildfire

Equipment
After I made my post yesterday I kind of felt bad about posting it but then I started to say to myself that ptwyz is a great guy for doing what he did and I'm sure each and everyone of us either did or would do the same and all I wanted to do was remind him that there are always folks out there to take advantage of someone and I would hate to hear that happen to a good person like ptwyz.

A few months ago a friend next door came over and asked me to keep his driveway open this winter, I knew he has his own snow blower which he uses all the time in the winter but I didn't question it and all I said was yes I would keep it open for him. No payment was mentioned at that time.

Well two weeks after that conversation that same friend passed away and all this winter I've plowed his wife out. This morning she came out to me and asked how much for all the plowing and I replied "There will be no charge. It's an agreement I had with your late husband who was my friend. I promised to plow you out and I'm keeping my end of the bargain. No moneys was mentioned so that's the deal we made and have a great day" :D
She was crying but it was a nice feeling to be able to help her out. There will always be those who appreciate what we do but the unfortunate fact is there will be others who will try and take advantage of us. The game plan for me is to find the ones who really need and appreciate the help and that's payment enough for me.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ditto on Wildfires last sentence. Some times hard to do but definitely worth the effort. Lots of folks don't ask for help but sure appreciate it when it is there. I am one of them and have had lots of help through the years. The smallest thing can make the biggest difference. The girl that paid for a tank full of fuel at the gas bar (never found out who she was). A woman in the ICU waiting room that handed me a bible with $200.00 in it. I could write 3 pages of stories of kind people who are remembered by me. Meeting just one more than makes up for the jerks.:D dusty

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
ptwyz,
Hey man I GUARANTEE that almost everybody that you plowed snow for is extremely gracious. The kid that brought you the venison probably only did that because he is not shy and probably deals with people he doesn't know on a regular basis. So approaching you wasn't too bad for him. For the others, don't be so quick to think they didn't appreciate what you did. Most people are opposite of that kid as dealing with others they don't know is foreign and out of there comfort zone. I bet they were blown away when they noticed you doing them a tremendous favor and being that the favor was so huge they don't know what to do.
Trust me on this, I deal with it all year long. I live in a very rural area with my property over a mile up a dirt road. The dirt road will never be maintained by the county no matter how bad it gets. When the big rains come and wash out sections making it impassible or the snow comes and locks everybody in, the county aint coming. This is why I bought a tractor. I will go out and clear snow and repair washed out areas. Sometimes I have to wait a couple of days if the soaking was really bad because the dirt is just to wet, can't work with the mud as a road, it'll just make it worse.
Anyway, I'm typing too much. There is a lady down the way, she always comes out and tells me I look like I'm working hard and hands me a couple of beers. Another one further up sometimes gives me fresh baked cookies. For the other people spread out, a long time ago when I got the tractor I thought they didn't care, they never said a word. But over the years, they have come up to me and basically say they are happy I'm working and repairing the road and they always have been. Some will drive up and just talk to me for a while, makes them feel good I guess. Almost every single one of them has offered something: food, beer, gas and money. To the exception of the ones that shove beer in my face, I always turn there offers down. I will never take money from them, period.

Long story longer, it takes years to get some of the people you help to get the courage up to thank you. They are thankful now but they don't know how to thank you.

As far as the cautions of free work for the ungrateful? Fortunately I don't think I'm going to have that problem.

Scott

Last edited:

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Hey guys,
Let me say this much about that. Just keep doing good. If you keep casting your bread on the water it will roll back on the waves. You never know how your acts of kindness REALLY affect others. Just keep doin' and have fun while doin'.

Besides they are probably just jelous that they don't have a Kick ass kubota to do it themselves.
JWB

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Earlier this winter we had 6" of snow and my wife had just got back from the hospital after being treated for pneumonia. I was getting ready to get my tractor out to plow the driveway and road in front of our home when 3 neighbors appeared on their tractors and had our driveway plowed in a few minutes. Those folks got a real heart felt thank you and a offer to pay but all refused.

We have all helped out each other in the past and I really appreciated the help and at Christmas my wife made some of her home made lumpia (Filipino egg rolls) and had me take it to the 3 guilty parties. So even though I lost some seat time on the tractor when folks care enough about each other it still works to live by the Christian values that we help your neighbors.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Earlier this winter we had 6" of snow and my wife had just got back from the hospital after being treated for pneumonia. I was getting ready to get my tractor out to plow the driveway and road in front of our home when 3 neighbors appeared on their tractors and had our driveway plowed in a few minutes. Those folks got a real heart felt thank you and a offer to pay but all refused.

We have all helped out each other in the past and I really appreciated the help and at Christmas my wife made some of her home made lumpia (Filipino egg rolls) and had me take it to the 3 guilty parties. So even though I lost some seat time on the tractor when folks care enough about each other it still works to live by the Christian values that we help your neighbors.
Michael,
That's a pretty touching story. You are lucky to have such good neighbors and even luckier that they have tractors!

One day it will be there turn and I'm sure you will be there to help them no questions asked.

Scott

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
I am a transplant from Iowa and my wife is from the Philippines. When we found the property we are living on now we actually were lost, but both my wife and I just fell in love with it. We made a offer and it was accepted.

What was really different was not the property but the folks that live in this secluded but near a fair sized town, they all are the nicest folks I have had the pleasure of meeting. These folks have always waved at me when I am out on the property or walking the dogs on our private dead end road. 31 families that get along as they should, sure we disagree on some things but for the most part but that still does not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Last winter we had a record snow fall and a bunch of us that had tractors were all out plowing each other out so we could get into town if needed. We did one guys place that had recently had a heart operation and made sure that his driveway was cleared so in a emergency aid could get there in a hurry. The attitude is I'll help you and to pass it along to the next person.

Neighbors helping neighbors is a wonderful thing and these folks are what everyone should do. I know almost all of my neighbors and sometimes they just stop if they see me and we will shoot the breeze even if it makes us late for some other thing.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ofcourse you guys are right about helping one another, and EVERY biker knows you never leave another along side the road.. As i said I have never asked for any kind of remitance from any one i have helped some have offered others ,like was mentioned , didn't know what to make of it. There was one young man that knocked onthe door 2 winters ago, he ran out of gas inhis high priced SUV, I didnt have any but offered to get him to the gas staton ,we went and when we got back he said how much do I owe you,,, And the biker in me just poped right up and said the only thing you owe me is to pass this on,, I helped you now you have to help someone else, it will come back to me some day. The look on his face was priceless, total disbelife,, but there ya go, somedays its good to be nice,if only for the chuckle

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
After I made my post yesterday I kind of felt bad about posting it but then I started to say to myself that ptwyz is a great guy for doing what he did and I'm sure each and everyone of us either did or would do the same and all I wanted to do was remind him that there are always folks out there to take advantage of someone and I would hate to hear that happen to a good person like ptwyz.

A few months ago a friend next door came over and asked me to keep his driveway open this winter, I knew he has his own snow blower which he uses all the time in the winter but I didn't question it and all I said was yes I would keep it open for him. No payment was mentioned at that time.

Well two weeks after that conversation that same friend passed away and all this winter I've plowed his wife out. This morning she came out to me and asked how much for all the plowing and I replied "There will be no charge. It's an agreement I had with your late husband who was my friend. I promised to plow you out and I'm keeping my end of the bargain. No moneys was mentioned so that's the deal we made and have a great day" :D
She was crying but it was a nice feeling to be able to help her out. There will always be those who appreciate what we do but the unfortunate fact is there will be others who will try and take advantage of us. The game plan for me is to find the ones who really need and appreciate the help and that's payment enough for me.

There is a special place in heaven for you my brother:D

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
ptwyz,
Hey man I GUARANTEE that almost everybody that you plowed snow for is extremely gracious. The kid that brought you the venison probably only did that because he is not shy and probably deals with people he doesn't know on a regular basis. So approaching you wasn't too bad for him. For the others, don't be so quick to think they didn't appreciate what you did. Most people are opposite of that kid as dealing with others they don't know is foreign and out of there comfort zone. I bet they were blown away when they noticed you doing them a tremendous favor and being that the favor was so huge they don't know what to do.
Trust me on this, I deal with it all year long. I live in a very rural area with my property over a mile up a dirt road. The dirt road will never be maintained by the county no matter how bad it gets. When the big rains come and wash out sections making it impassible or the snow comes and locks everybody in, the county aint coming. This is why I bought a tractor. I will go out and clear snow and repair washed out areas. Sometimes I have to wait a couple of days if the soaking was really bad because the dirt is just to wet, can't work with the mud as a road, it'll just make it worse.
Anyway, I'm typing too much. There is a lady down the way, she always comes out and tells me I look like I'm working hard and hands me a couple of beers. Another one further up sometimes gives me fresh baked cookies. For the other people spread out, a long time ago when I got the tractor I thought they didn't care, they never said a word. But over the years, they have come up to me and basically say they are happy I'm working and repairing the road and they always have been. Some will drive up and just talk to me for a while, makes them feel good I guess. Almost every single one of them has offered something: food, beer, gas and money. To the exception of the ones that shove beer in my face, I always turn there offers down. I will never take money from them, period.

Long story longer, it takes years to get some of the people you help to get the courage up to thank you. They are thankful now but they don't know how to thank you.

As far as the cautions of free work for the ungrateful? Fortunately I don't think I'm going to have that problem.

Scott
traildust,

Thanks man! It's nice to know that there are people who think like me, (uh seems like EVERYONE on this thread!!), and are not affraid to get out there and "Take Care of Business". It seems I have found the forum where I am around the same type of souls! Feel darn good:D You guy's are GREAT ;):D

ptwyz

Equipment
Jan 7, 2010
I am a transplant from Iowa and my wife is from the Philippines. When we found the property we are living on now we actually were lost, but both my wife and I just fell in love with it. We made a offer and it was accepted.

What was really different was not the property but the folks that live in this secluded but near a fair sized town, they all are the nicest folks I have had the pleasure of meeting. These folks have always waved at me when I am out on the property or walking the dogs on our private dead end road. 31 families that get along as they should, sure we disagree on some things but for the most part but that still does not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Last winter we had a record snow fall and a bunch of us that had tractors were all out plowing each other out so we could get into town if needed. We did one guys place that had recently had a heart operation and made sure that his driveway was cleared so in a emergency aid could get there in a hurry. The attitude is I'll help you and to pass it along to the next person.

Neighbors helping neighbors is a wonderful thing and these folks are what everyone should do. I know almost all of my neighbors and sometimes they just stop if they see me and we will shoot the breeze even if it makes us late for some other thing.
Well said Michael! I live in a small village where everybody know's everybody. When the last big snow hit, (it seems just about every three to four day's another one hits!), I was cleaning up where my drive empties onto the road. I looked down the road and could count four other tractors doing the exact same thing I was doing. I could hear even more of them! The thing is, the people who live on those properties, don't own tractors. So I know people are doing the same thing I do. Now I have expanded my operations, (mostly because of the AWESOME comments by you guy's!), It seems I am the only tractor guy that has a rear blade. So, now I have added all the side streets and alley's in my village. I angle the blade and take four or five swipes to "Clear the road" as they say. Then I clean up the intersections and then move on to the now 22 driveway's. I wouldnt do them if I didn'e enjoy being out there so much. I also sneak in, Kinda late, and hit the Chistian book store down the alley from my homestead. It's a couple who have renevated an old church into a Christian comunity center slash book store. The last big storm I noticed nobody dug them out. Sooooo now I go in and "get-r-done"!