Guess my weight...

Spectre381

Equipment
Kubota B2650, LA534 FEL, SGC0660 Grapple, 42" forks, ballast box, ratchet rake
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Nope... not mine. Looking for educated guesses at the approx weight of a Massey-Ferguson MF21 tandem disc harrow. Approximate date of implement is early to mid-70's.

I can find a weight for more recently made MF21 model disc harrows, but I'm pretty sure it's less than the weight of this one. This bad boy was made back when everything was heavy duty metal fab. Local dealership employees are guessing it anywhere from 600 - 900 lbs.

I've got a B2650 and I'm looking at grabbing this IF the weight is manageable for my tractor. Dealership is asking $350 for it - it looks pretty weathered but actually appears to be in decent shape (looking at it in person). Nothing a fresh coat of paint and some grease wouldn't fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Spectre. You didnt say how wide it is. Looks like 6ft. If so I would guess 600-700 lbs. To let you know my buddy bought a brand new woods 80" disc. 600 lbs. I picked it up for him and brought it home to put in a food plot. Hooked it to my B2650, set the disc gangs to the first aggressive angle. Tractor handled it no problem. I then set the gangs front and rear to full aggressive position. Tractor still handled it and the weight no problem at all. I did an acre about 6 times and tractor handled just fine. I think you can handle that disc set just fine. They look pretty decent!!

Spectre381

Equipment
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Spectre. You didnt say how wide it is. Looks like 6ft. If so I would guess 600-700 lbs. To let you know my buddy bought a brand new woods 80" disc. 600 lbs. I picked it up for him and brought it home to put in a food plot. Hooked it to my B2650, set the disc gangs to the first aggressive angle. Tractor handled it no problem. I then set the gangs front and rear to full aggressive position. Tractor still handled it and the weight no problem at all. I did an acre about 6 times and tractor handled just fine. I think you can handle that disc set just fine. They look pretty decent!!

You are correct... I forgot to mention size (might be important). I didn't measure it and they didn't say, but I do believe it's a 6-footer. The manager at my Kubota dealership said he thought it was around 600 lbs. A younger assistant there told me he thought close to 900 lbs. I would tend to go closer to the 600 lb estimate like you and the manager gave. Just wondering if anyone on here would know or know where to find the info.

Set your timer - North Idaho Wolfman should be chiming in with an answer any minute now... [emoji4] (I think he's got the full "Tractor" version of encyclopedia britannica at home)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They don't give an exact weight due to the fact that it came in 3 widths and that it could be equiped with 3 differnt disks in 2 differnt sizes, and also had 2 differnt bearing options.

I would say 6 to 7 hundred sounds about right.

It's going to be a bit big for your B, so no bouncing it on the three point or you'll be spending some $ fixing it. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Besides the weight issue, I wonder if you might not have trouble setting up the 3 pt hitch to lift it or get it to run "level"? Measure the height of the pins and go home and see if you can set up the lower and top links to make it work.

The reason I say this is I have a back blade that I use on the 3560, but would be way too tall to pick up with the B2650 and have some adjustability left to angle it right. Not saying it can't be done, but might take some fiddling or welding.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
If you plan on lifting them with the 3pt, you are going to have to attach a chain or something else from the top link to the back of the harrows. The front 8 and the back 8 pivot on 2 pins in the middle.

Spectre381

Equipment
Aug 18, 2016
NC
Thanks everyone... all good points to ponder. Will probably pass on this one, although price can't be beat.