Kellogg, Idaho
I have:
Single tine ripper
Box scrapper with rippers
Landscape rake
Rear blade
Front blade
FEL and BH

My question is what is generally the right sequence to rip and prep virgin ground that is full of ruts and ridges for new lawn seed?

My thoughts is to use the box scraper for general break up and general moving of material. Followed by the landscape rake for rocks. Followed by the rear blade for touch up and minor grading. Followed by the landscape in order to create the troughs for the grass seed to lay. Am I close for this project?

Thank you in advance :)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We seeded a bit over an acre to enlarge our yard 5 years ago. First I killed the weeds and then raked the dead stuff, old cornstalk remnants, etc. Then ran the box blade all over it, followed by the landscape rake. I had another drag that is made of a pair of I beams that was used in some spots. The biggest help were the box blade and the landscape rake. When the ground was shaped about right, I set the wheels on the rake so it wasn't dragging hard and the rake was angled. This made gathering and removing the stones easier.

First picture is the south side of the creek. Work on that side was just started in this photo, and the piles are excess topsoil from the north side that I FEL'd to this side of the creek to fill in some low spots.

The other two are fo the north side. This is before the final rake/seed operation. Middle picture is a wider view of the north side, and the last picture is a closer look a the north side.

Attachments

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
We seeded a bit over an acre to enlarge our yard 5 years ago. First I killed the weeds and then raked the dead stuff, old cornstalk remnants, etc. Then ran the box blade all over it, followed by the landscape rake. I had another drag that is made of a pair of I beams that was used in some spots. The biggest help were the box blade and the landscape rake. When the ground was shaped about right, I set the wheels on the rake so it wasn't dragging hard and the rake was angled. This made gathering and removing the stones easier.

First picture is the south side of the creek. Work on that side was just started in this photo, and the piles are excess topsoil from the north side that I FEL'd to this side of the creek to fill in some low spots.

The other two are fo the north side. This is before the final rake/seed operation. Middle picture is a wider view of the north side, and the last picture is a closer look a the north side.
Thank you kindly. I can only hope that my project ends up as well as yours.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
11CEFC56-99F5-4255-87E6-C6F861A1A742.jpg

3242991B-2233-40FD-8CCE-55C1B3AFE49C.jpg

08292443-2E4F-436D-BF45-BD60669B246E.jpg

622AC70F-F4DD-4E4E-BBC2-80DB192C4BCC.jpg

6E706425-2F45-4566-97ED-F2C364BD59BA.jpg
Just a few pics of clearing, fencing, and leveling and seeding a 3/4 acre dog run area.
Started by limbing up all the trees we were keeping. Cleared away many undesirable and thinking some areas. Backhoe out all the extra stumps, then raked up pine needles and twigs.
Used the Piranha on the FEL to knock down and fill the large high and low spots. Went to the big tines, on the excavator attachment. That really ripped up the surface, weeds, roots etc.
Final rake with the landscape rake, ran a throwing seeder thru the area with a good Forrest mix, as there’s lots of shade. It took a couple months to really fill in fully, but was really beautiful after 3 weeks. With constant mowing, water and feeding, all the weeds ( including the dreaded knapweed) are gone and you can walk around barefoot. A bit it work and sweat equity, you will have a beautiful lawn

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
View attachment 35662

View attachment 35663

View attachment 35664

View attachment 35665

View attachment 35666
Just a few pics of clearing, fencing, and leveling and seeding a 3/4 acre dog run area.
Started by limbing up all the trees we were keeping. Cleared away many undesirable and thinking some areas. Backhoe out all the extra stumps, then raked up pine needles and twigs.
Used the Piranha on the FEL to knock down and fill the large high and low spots. Went to the big tines, on the excavator attachment. That really ripped up the surface, weeds, roots etc.
Final rake with the landscape rake, ran a throwing seeder thru the area with a good Forrest mix, as there’s lots of shade. It took a couple months to really fill in fully, but was really beautiful after 3 weeks. With constant mowing, water and feeding, all the weeds ( including the dreaded knapweed) are gone and you can walk around barefoot. A bit it work and sweat equity, you will have a beautiful lawn
Thank you kindly

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Chim, bearskinner, that is impressive work! Did some work on my property last year and found out I do not have a good eye for leveling dirt. Maybe I am not level headed enough.:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Chim, bearskinner, that is impressive work! Did some work on my property last year and found out I do not have a good eye for leveling dirt. Maybe I am not level headed enough.:D
Me neither! :p :D

This is the foundation pad for our new house, it was leveled within inches across 100' with a simple land place, they work wonders.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I made this out of some scrap that was hanging around, I beams are from an old small single wide trailer, and the cutting blades are AR 500, in 3 years of use they show no signs of wear.

Attachments