Greasing 60" BX deck...Questions?

chucky79

Equipment
BX25D, B7100 Restoration project with a B219 loader and B670 backhoe
May 16, 2014
Ashland, KY
So I spent some time servicing my BX2370's 60" deck the other night and have a question about the volume of grease. When dad taught me how to grease equipment 20 years ago it basically went like this.... Pump a little grease until you see it start to ooze out then stop. Pretty easy, and useful info that has served me well. I noticed on the BX deck though that this isn't the case either because im doing it wrong or some of my grease points were bone dry and seemed to have a 5 gallon reservoir?? The u-joints and deck pivot point both no problems, couple pumps and grease oozed so I stopped. The one on the rear of the deck (that has the arm with spring attached) just wouldn't take any grease no matter how hard I tried to pump the handle so I stopped before I caused problems.. The big question though is the spindles.... I pumped one of them like 10 times and never saw any grease ooze out anywhere so I lifted the deck and checked the bottom to see if it oozed there and the same....no grease. How much grease do you need to put on those spindles? I read somewhere that they are under filled from factory and people have put like 90-100 pumps before grease fill the cup and ran out on bottom. Im ok with doing that I just wanna make sure its correct and im not damaging anything or blowing out some sort of seals (if they exist) on the deck. Give me a little insight here please people...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
im sure you will get mixed opinions.
not knowing how spindle is sealed,quite often with seals only on outside 1/2 of the 2 bearings,there is a large void that would need to be filled.now by doing so you risk popping the seals as there isn't much holding them in place.the owners manual should define type of grease and how much to put in.as far as the belt tensioner pivot not taking grease,its either a bad fitting or really gummed up.replace fitting and/or dis-assemble and clean and check for the reason its not taking grease.

best way is to remove belt and spin each shaft while greasing.can tell difference between dry and lubed bearing -in sound and how free it spins.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Be careful,
I'm not sure on your BX, but on the woods deck I have, if you over grease, It will come out on the top part, sling around under the pulley, and get All over the belt..(new belts are not cheap) I've had this happen on mine, not long after I got-it (new) I was putting 4-6 pumps in after each 8-10hr of use, and that was to much, so now 2-pumps calling it good, deck is 12-years old now and no issues, (belts or bearings)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
What I would do, is to have it pretty quiet, around you, pump and count the strokes, on 1 spindle, till you hear it pop out the other side. If your hearing aint real good, like mine, have s buddy look at the other side while you are pumping.

It also helps, to have this little contraption on your grease gun: http://www.locknlube.com/English/Products/Grease_Coupler.html

It might also help on your idler arm. Other wise, remove the zerk from the IA and pick out the dried grease, and spray some Kroil, or PB blaster into the hole where the zerk was, and let it eat into the dried grease, then replace the fitting and try greasing again, repeat till it takes grease.:D