Grease

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
So I look at the manuals that came with my new B2650, loader and backhoe. The backhoe calls for moly HP grease, and general purpose grease for everything else. The dealer uses only GP grease, and prepped the backhoe with the same.

I don't plan on overusing the backhoe. What do you all think about using general purpose grease for everything? Or is moly HP grease good for everything else too? I know grease types shouldn't be mixed.

Thoughts?

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
Molly HP is a better choice for pivot pins. It has greater load capabilities than GP grease. Molly is not as good as GP in a bearing like a U-joint or ball bearing.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use Amsoil moly grease in everything. Good moly grease is worth every penny because it will stay where you put it. Yes, there is cheap moly grease that's not worth having.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Hp or Ep grease.i prefere ep. Molybdenum is the high end, resists water washout. Good for low speed.
Everything except wheel bearings.
Then i use grease formulated for use on vehicles equipped with disc brakes.due to the higher melting point.

I use a lot of grease.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
My thought process is bit different than some others aboard this Forum on this topic.

If the machine gets greased once or twice a year whether it needs it or not, then use the premium most expensive grease everywhere.

If the machine is used regularly, especially with respect to the backhoe, use the cheapest grease you can find and grease it (1) before you start, (2) halfway through the job (coffee or noon break), then (3) at the end of the day. Yes, (1) and (3) are redundant, but one or the other will be missed regularly.

As the machine works and moves it's going to work the grease out of the joints. Why keep refilling it with high-dollar grease that's going to be wasted? In a work environment the addition of grease to the business end of a backhoe is to flush the joint as much as provide bearing surface lubrication. Use cheap, use a lot, use regularly.

When grease goes on sale at local farm-ranch or CoOp store I buy a couple cases at less than a buck a tube and use it like water. I just can't see paying $5 a tube and going through a tube or more a day.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Moly (EP=Extreme pressure) is for anything that is under a sever load as mentioned above. GP grease can be used anyplace ense (like the foot pedal) however, any place GP grease can be used, Moly can be used. I do not keep two grease guns to save $1 a tube on grease.
If you have a point to grease that is exposed to water, is not an EP point, use water proof marine grease. I have none on my tractor but do use it on off road motorcycle wheel bearings and suspension points.

If I am doing BH work, the pivots at the bucket get greased a lot, as they are constantly being jammed into the dirt so I try to have a fresh-ish layer of grease at those points. Pivot points not subject to the harsh conditions, every 10 hours or so of actual use.

If you keep an eye on the pivot points, you can see when they need to be greased, which is at about 10 hours.

Be sure to clean out the zerk area well before putting the grease gun on.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
An old timer heavy equipment mechanic once told me any grease is better than no grease.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
An old timer heavy equipment mechanic once told me any grease is better than no grease.
Hell - I waste more grease watching it come OUT then I do watching it go in!!!

I use that expensive stuff too - I am a learnin' that two clicks on the pneumatic grease gun is about right !:)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I too, probably waste a fair amount. I like to see fresh grease ooze out, hopefully pushing any old (bad, very bad:mad:) grease or debris with it. Then I send time wiping off excessive excess that you just KNOW I'll rub my shirt sleeve in and not find out about until I am in the house.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you want to learn "from the horses mouth", go to the experts. On the WEB site Eng-Tips.com and in the room "Automotive lubricant engineering Forum" you probably will find out more than here.