Grease Zerks

Mbj3

Sep 3, 2017
Utah
Ok...so I'm pretty new to the tractor world. I just bought a used B26. I want to do some service stuff to make sure I'm keeping the tractor running properly. I got out my old grease gun and started to grease all the pivots (started on the backhoe)....I noticed that most of the zerks wouldn't take any grease. I would give it one maybe two squeezes and then there was too much back pressure to get squeeze any more. Out of say 20 greaseable zerks I could only get maybe 5 of them to accept grease. Those that did I could see grease coming out to the joint in the typical fashion. Those that didn't I couldn't see any grease coming out in the joint. So are all those greasable pins clogged or is it a problem with the Zerks or am I don't something wrong?
thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Or, you could remove each fitting, use a wire to work around in the opening with a shot of your favorite rust buster, pump a bit if grease through the removed zerk, and re-install.

You can purchase additional zerks at your local auto parts store in bulk, just remember to get the ones with metric threads.

Also. if you have pressure on a pin because of the way a unit is stored, can cause the grease to not flow. Sometimes you move the position of the implement it will then take grease.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use the Wolfman method myself. One tap with a hammer on the tool and the zerk is good to go.

Mbj3

Sep 3, 2017
Utah
Or, you could remove each fitting, use a wire to work around in the opening with a shot of your favorite rust buster, pump a bit if grease through the removed zerk, and re-install.

You can purchase additional zerks at your local auto parts store in bulk, just remember to get the ones with metric threads.

Also. if you have pressure on a pin because of the way a unit is stored, can cause the grease to not flow. Sometimes you move the position of the implement it will then take grease.
I didn't realize some of the pins could be under pressure and therefore not take grease. The back hoe is off the tractor so I wouldn't think there would be pressure but I could be wrong..But I think it's a great idea to try it again with the hoe reattached and move the boom into other positions.

Mbj3

Sep 3, 2017
Utah
I found a couple of videos on youtube. One guy was heating/warming the pin and zerk with a torch...he was talking like the issue is not the zerk but that the grease in the joint is old and stiff...heating it up helped it to un-gel and allow the new grease to displace it. I don't think I like the idea of heating with a torch but the concept made sense if the joint hasn't been greased for a long time.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A lot depends on the grease you use too. If you use a clay based grease, they tend to 'coagulate' and harden over time and that clogs the grease fitting. if you use a synthetic based grease, they don't 'coagulate' so they tend not to clog grease fittings.

You'll like the fitting unstopper. I use diesel in mine as the unclogging medium) but light oil works too.

les.smith99

Equipment
B7800
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler, Texas
As someone new to tractors welcome, not too many years ago I was too. I found a great source of information, asktractormike.com . This guy grew up with tractors and managed a tractor dealership. He has put together several dozen YouTube videos with just about everything you would like to know about tractors. Check him out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use the purple Zep when I clean the 'filth' and crud off my tractors, just like Wolfman does too. Good stuff.:)

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
You may need to take the entire joint apart as the blockage might be at the hole in the pin that directs grease into the joint. No matter what method you use you need to get all those joints taking grease and after that grease them often to prevent repeat problems.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I see they have gotten cheaper. The Summit one is dirt cheap. I think I paid about 50 bucks for mine around 20 years ago from Gemplers and the shipping was additional too.