Grease, Whats is everyone using?

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
On vehicles I typically used whatever was left in the grease gun last. But as i look to finish picking up the incidentals preparing for the tractor I have seen a few fair arguments to using better products for better protection and I am wondering what you all think.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I think regular greasing is more important than the brand or even type of grease (within reason).
That said, I use synthetic NLGI #2 grease in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I like Lucas Red & Tacky. It is easy to find and the cost at less than $5.00 a tube at my local Wally World seems fair to me.

I agree with previous post, a regular schedule is probably more important than what type.

I use caps to cover each zerk after greasing and change the color each time. This helps ensure I did not miss any and I do not have to clean the zerk before greasing. No grime builds up on it between greasing.

I grease the loader per the manual every 10 hours and while doing so do tractor as well.

Recently purchased a Dewalt battery operated gun and ease of greasing was reduced 10X.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?
attachmentid=34648&stc=1&d=1520339126

Attachments

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
I like Lucas Red & Tacky. It is easy to find and the cost at less than $5.00 a tube at my local Wally World seems fair to me.

I agree with previous post, a regular schedule is probably more important than what type.

I use caps to cover each zerk after greasing and change the color each time. This helps ensure I did not miss any and I do not have to clean the zerk before greasing. No grime builds up on it between greasing.

I grease the loader per the manual every 10 hours and while doing so do tractor as well.

Recently purchased a Dewalt battery operated gun and ease of greasing was reduced 10X.

Creature -- About to buy a Dewalt 20V grease gun myself...can the dewalt put off too much pressure and do damage ? Also I like the zerk covers idea, where get those ? Thanks...

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
B7100, 48" snow blower, woods rear blade, crappy front blade, 64" mower deck
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
I have to gracefully disagree with the statement that frequency is better than type. But it kind of depends on the situation. Anything that gets grease from me (with the exception of moly for cv's etc) the only grease I use now is Amsoil Dominator.

2 NR*
NLGI Performance Grade
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
GC-LB NR*
Operating Range °C (°F)
-40 to 177 (-40 to 350)
NR*
Penetration (ASTM D 217) Worked 60 Strokes
265-295
220-340 range
Dropping Point (ASTM D 566) °C (°F)
318 (605)
220 (428) min
High-Temperature Life (ASTM D 3527) hours
80 min
Water Washout (ASTM D 1264) 79°C (175°F) % loss
15 max
Rust and Corrosion (ASTM D 1743) .....................................
pass pass
Oil Separation (ASTM D 1742) .........................................
6 max
Leakage (ASTM D 4290), g
10 max
Four-Ball Wear Test , mm scar (ASTM D 2266)
0.6 max
Four-Ball EP, kgf (ASTM D 2596)
Weld Point .......................................................
200 min
Load Wear Index ...................................................
30 min
Timken OK Load Test (ASTM D 2509), lbs.
60 NR*
Low-Temperature Torque (ASTM D 4693) (-40°F)
15.5 ma

I cant find any grease with better certs than this, in particular, the drop point and 4 ball weld test. Of course, I have i no way checked every grease. I just look to see what race teams use (im into road course cars) and then follow up. At only 12 bucks a tube, its a no brainer for me.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I agree with the race teams, but I found that using the same stuff the mines use,,and they use it on multi million dollar equipment works well and you can get it auto zone wally world any place thats the Mobil red grease, I have no idea what makes it any different from the blue but like CM said wally world 5 bucks a tube,,its a no brainer,,, though following the regular schedule maintenance works better than anything

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Schedule being important what do you guys do when we hit a spell of sub zero temps and snow where you are using your tractor? This happened to me this winter and I went a few hours over, had a 20 degree day and put the grease to it. Has anyone greased in sub zero temps?
Another issue I have is that some, not all, zerks tend to hold on to the grease gun tip. Any tips on how to minimize this, hate using pressure to get them off or prying.

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
I have to gracefully disagree with the statement that frequency is better than type.

10 max
Four-Ball Wear Test , mm scar (ASTM D 2266)

I tend to agree with this, no matter what you are using it should be applied frequently. But the real question is how does it protect the joints in between applications and will operating.

Red and tacky just states 6.0 max with ASTM D 2266 and Lucas HD and construction is at 4.4.

So the AMSOIL is up to 2/3 of the wear that could occur with Red and Tacky. I know that lab tests aren't real world use, and that is why I am asking. I want to start with a trusted product and be happy with it 10-15 years down the road.

KubotaL185DT

Equipment
L185 4x4, L245H, M5140HD, Case 580B Hoe, JD350 Dozer, JD LX178,
May 6, 2010
Northern Calif
Great idea! Where do you get the caps to cover each zerk?

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
I tend to agree with this, no matter what you are using it should be applied frequently. But the real question is how does it protect the joints in between applications and will operating.

Red and tacky just states 6.0 max with ASTM D 2266 and Lucas HD and construction is at 4.4.

So the AMSOIL is up to 2/3 of the wear that could occur with Red and Tacky. I know that lab tests aren't real world use, and that is why I am asking. I want to start with a trusted product and be happy with it 10-15 years down the road.
yep, and sorry for the confusing chart, it did not import very well. you see the test, then follow the ............. to the answer.

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
yep, and sorry for the confusing chart, it did not import very well. you see the test, then follow the ............. to the answer.

No problem. Are you buying yours locally or online? If online where? Their website is showing $15 a tube, not a deal breaker but if i can save $3 a tube that is the start of a new attachment [emoji12]

ryansmoneypit2

Equipment
Mar 2, 2018
virginia
No problem. Are you buying yours locally or online? If online where? Their website is showing $15 a tube, not a deal breaker but if i can save $3 a tube that is the start of a new attachment [emoji12]
I got them through a locat AMSOIL dealer aka, dirtbike shop.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
They are end caps used in the telecommunications industry to cover the ends of air and filled cables.

I don't know where you could buy them, I have dumpster dived for bags of gray, yellow, blue and red ones here at work when we clean out.

Sorry, just never had to look for them to buy.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina

Creature -- About to buy a Dewalt 20V grease gun myself...can the dewalt put off too much pressure and do damage ? Also I like the zerk covers idea, where get those ? Thanks...
Too much pressure?
I'm sure you could but I ease on the trigger until it pumps and hold it there until I see grease come out of area I'm greasing in most cases. The only time I press trigger full bore is when priming. I think you will be fine. Go easy!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have to gracefully disagree with the statement that frequency is better than type. But it kind of depends on the situation. Anything that gets grease from me (with the exception of moly for cv's etc) the only grease I use now is Amsoil Dominator.
I'm with you on the brand but what led you to go with Dominator instead of the Polymeric with Moly that's made for heavy equipment?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
EP = extreme pressure
If memory is working correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I recall lots of discussion in the past on grease compatibility or the lack thereof. Still an issue these days? If so, anyone know the rules?

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
I recall lots of discussion in the past on grease compatibility or the lack thereof. Still an issue these days? If so, anyone know the rules?

After reading a fair amount of technical data sheets, yes this appears to be an issue still. Seems most grease manufacturers recommend removal of all old grease "if possible" prior to new grease.