Grader scraper advice

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
Hello all,
I’m new to having to do gravel driveway maintenance. The driveway is just under 1/2 mi long. After several very hard rains here in middle Tenn, I’ve got washboard and ruts on two of the steeper parts of the drive that I want to repair before they get worse.
I’m thinking of a 6’ wide Land Shark grader scraper to pull behind my L3301 to get the road back in shape. The Land Shark seems to be a good deal for the money. I’m thinking of the 6’ model because that will be 6” wider than my rear wheels.
Thoughts, advice on my choice of an implement?
Steve

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think once you get it and work it - it will pay for itself quickly!
Every time it ruts up.....that land shark grader will smooth it out quickly!
HELL - it might just be fun fixing the driveway!

Like to see pictures in action!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have a 6' grading scraper that I use for my drive and it works magic!

I pull mine with a L4600 and with it full of rock going up a slight incline it requires 4x4. I like to keep the box at least 1/2 so it fills in as I go.

I did pull it with a L3400 and it would not pull the incline in 4x4 with the scraper full.

I find it best to level when it is real dry otherwise as the rock mix with some soil runs out the back it piles up some.

You will like it but may have to be mindful of how much you plan to pull in the scraper.

Once adjusted it's a piece of cake. I have a dedicated top link I leave with it so that keeps it simple.

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
I think once you get it and work it - it will pay for itself quickly!
Every time it ruts up.....that land shark grader will smooth it out quickly!
HELL - it might just be fun fixing the driveway!
***128077;***127995;***128522;

Like to see pictures in action!
I have a 6' grading scraper that I use for my drive and it works magic!

Once adjusted it's a piece of cake. I have a dedicated top link I leave with it so that keeps it simple.
Creature Meadow, do you run the grader tail low or high? How does other than flat level help with the resulting finish?
Thanks,
Steve

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just curious what a “gravel driveway” means in Tennessee.

In Texas we generally use what we call road base. A mixture of crushed limestone and limestone dust and clay. The top stays firm and compacted so very little loose material to move.

Some people call that a gravel drive but there is no gravel involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Creature Meadow, do you run the grader tail low or high? How does other than flat level help with the resulting finish?
Thanks,
Steve
I run the front down just a bit the first pass then couple turns on the top link for level leaves finish feathered if dry.

I like the material to run over the front and rear blades using 1st gear in high.

Slower for me with my road material just does not give a good even finish.

If I need to move a lot of material I do tilt front down more so it will cut better. rarely does it require more than a couple turn on the top link for either setting.

For the first few times I used it I was off and on a lot adjusting. The top links are pretty cheap so I have them for most all implements even though I have a QH I just unhook and leave them with the implement.

Hope this helps.