GR2120 - Changing Fuel Filters

andre53

Equipment
GR2120, 54" Mower, GR2728 Snowblower
Jun 30, 2012
East Aurora, NY
I was doing some routine maintenance on my GR2120 this weekend and decided to change the 2 fuel filters. The one at the engine was easy to get to and took about 5 minutes to change. The second filter, located under the seat next to the electric fuel pump, requires you to remove the left rear wheel to access it and some effort to get at the clamps and hold down bolt.

Well, so far so good. Realizing that this filter was getting fuel by gravity feed from the tank, I started looking for the fuel shut off... After crawling all around the tractor, I couldn't find it??? Checked both the owners manual and the shop manual, couldn't find anything about a shut off in those either.

I ended up having to drain the entire tank before I could replace the filter. It took about 35 minutes for the tank to drain... What a pain.

Space is pretty limited around the filter, but I am going to try and find a fuel valve I can install just upstream of filter or try to find some other convenient space.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Not sure what your tractor looks like, but my BX is about the same, per your cements. Measure the diameter of the fuel filters for getting the proper valve. I had to buy via internet for a 8 mm size hose.

However, I then made a device for checking the degree of plugging of a filter using 8 mm ID hose, but the valve I used was a Briggs and Stratton for 1/4" ID hose. Tightening up the hose clamps made that leak proof. So, maybe, you might try a B&S valve,

Device was a tall plastic bottle with marks on it for fuel level there. I measure the time it takes for fuel to run through the filter for a given drop of fuel. I calibrated it using a new filter. I figure it may be of use in the future to see how bad the filter is plugged.

Chubbs75

Aug 16, 2013
United Kingdom
No fuel shut off. The pump itself stoping the fuel to go to the engine.
I don't even take the weeks off sometimes. Next time just clamp the hose fit a pair of grip pliers.