Governor springs, help!

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
While attempting to time my L275 and reassemble the gear case, the 2 springs on the governor fork lever came off. These are the two springs in which one is inserted inside the other one.
Do they both attach to the exact same slot on the fork lever? If I remember correctly they both attach to the governor lever at the same location together, but I couldn't see inside where the other ends were attached and they accidentally popped off. Help!

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
As far as I can tell in the book your setup is just like mine. The bigger spring (governor spring) attaches to the governor lever and the smaller spring (start spring) goes in a drilled stud in the gear cover. Here's a picture of mine.

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
Yes, that looks very similar to mine, except mine has 3 springs. One is connected like the one on the right in your picture, then there are two more in the same location as the one on the left (one is smaller than the other) and the smaller one fits INSIDE the larger one for some odd reason. You'd think if they needed more tension they'd have used one heavier spring. Unless, perhaps, that's how they adjust the governor. Gotta say that it looks like it will be a pain trying to get it connected to the fork lever.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Hummm. The book only shows a single spring, they must've made a change during production. The only reason I can think of to do spring in a spring like that is if they were experiencing some sort or spring resonance that was making the governor hunt. Just a guess. Anyway I think it's a safe assumption they go in the same slot since they're inside on another, otherwise the springs would catch on each other. Just keep an old wadded up T-shirt handy and leave the air cleaner off the first time you start it in case you need to smother it.

They both should attach to a single eyelet on the rear of the governor arm. If you remove the stop lever plate on the side of the engine below the injection pump it'll be the arm closest to you.

LeadHead

Equipment
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
Yes, that sounds correct. In my case the "eyelet" on the governor arm is actually a slot. Is that how yours is?