Glow plugs

George49

Equipment
L3010
Mar 24, 2012
Lyman, Maine
I have a 2000 L3010 with 1300 hours on it. Lately the glow plugs don't stay on long enough to preheat the engine. Sometimes they come back on after the tractor has started. This causes the starter to turn over longer to start. Any ideas? Are the glow plugs toast and if so is this a big job to replace. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
I don't know what is causing it but my l48 doesn't start like it used too either. Before I would turn the key and the glow plugs light would light up on the dash then go off, I turn the key more and it would start immediately now if I don't cycle the glow plugs twice it will act like yours. I posted questions here but I haven't gotten to the bottom of it. You might want to do a search for my post. I don't think I'm harming it by double cycling it and it does start better when I cycle it twice. I think it could be the battery, it is 10 years old but it shows a good charge and I don't think I'm doing it harm I'll just keep cycling it twice. I think these machines have a glow plug timer/controller, if it is coming back on maybe some thing is wrong with that. Hopefully someone who knows will come along. I like to know what is going on too.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't think there is a timer for the glow plug, but rather a small space on the start switch that operates them. On my L3200 - admittedly an entirely different beast - I usually seem to skip the glow plug entirely. If I turn the switch really slowly there is a spot where the glow plug light lights. It works the same as turning the key backwards to light the glow plugs. When the tractor is cold, either spot will turn on the glow plugs, but the backwards one is easier to find. When it is hot I just zoom right by the glow plugs.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I don't think there is a timer for the glow plug, but rather a small space on the start switch that operates them. On my L3200 - admittedly an entirely different beast - I usually seem to skip the glow plug entirely. If I turn the switch really slowly there is a spot where the glow plug light lights. It works the same as turning the key backwards to light the glow plugs. When the tractor is cold, either spot will turn on the glow plugs, but the backwards one is easier to find. When it is hot I just zoom right by the glow plugs.
Once I hit around 200 hrs the 3800 was a little more difficult to start when cooler out w/ out the CCW manual glow. I attribute it to glow plugs that have gotten a little dirty and a battery that provides slightly less energy than it did brand new. Both are to be expected.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have older machines, B8200 and L305 and their GP wiring is simple. The starter switch has a terminal with a wire going to the GP indicator. (On these tractors that's a coiled resistance wire that glows when voltage runs through it.) The other side of the GP indicator goes to the GP's.

Glow plugs should last a long time, but you can overheat then and the tips will short out. If, on your tractor, they are more difficult to get to then you wish-- if you're going to test them--might be ahead to just replace them.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I have a 1999 L3010 with 1200 hours and they sometimes have issues with GP sensor and relay. My GP indicator light comes on whenever it feels like it and goes off sometimes with just switching on lights or off. Seems to function just fine most of the time and I don't worry too much about it.

George49

Equipment
L3010
Mar 24, 2012
Lyman, Maine
Thanks for all of the input. So far problem not solved but will keep trying. If I find a fix, I will post it. Thanks Again

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I don't have intimate knowledge of your particular model machine.

Having said that, your description is how mine acted when the timer / relay boxes under the dash failed.

Ultimately, the glow plugs remained constantly 'on' when running.

Without knowing more can't predict exactly 'what' failed, but as you dig into it try changing out one component at the time. Make a deal with your dealer to return the parts if unused.

Even after my system failure I retained the same GPs and they're still functioning fine. My experience with all diesels is that GPs have a low failure rate and for that reason I'd be looking for some other problem before addressing the GPs themselves.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

George49

Equipment
L3010
Mar 24, 2012
Lyman, Maine
Seemed when I played with the key the glow plugs worked properly, so I changed the ignition switch. Still didn't work properly. Tired of fooling with it, I ordered the timer, controller and relay. I figured if I have to go that far to dismantle the dash I might as well change the three parts. If I can I will try to switch one at a time and let you folks know what exactly failed. Hope this works.

George49

Equipment
L3010
Mar 24, 2012
Lyman, Maine
Finally solved my glow plug problem. Changed the timer, controller and glow relay. Changed them out one at a time to find out exactly which one was the problem. As it turned out the controller was the culprit. Hopes this helps anyone else that gets the same problem. Easy fix. I have never taken the dash apart before and the whole business took me about 45 minutes. Thanks for all the suggestions.