Glow plug indicator not working

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Today found out why my glow plug indicator hasn't worked since I got this tractor.

My L175 has always been kind of slow to start and the Glow plug indicator never has lit up. This spring it has been worse than usual, the glow plugs totally quit working.

Today I had some free time and decent weather, so I started looking for the problem. I first checked continuity between the glow plugs and ground -- good. Then I checked to see if they were getting voltage -- no. I started following the wire back to the dash, suspecting the switch.

After taking the four screws out that secure the dash, I found the wire from the indicator to the glow plugs was broken, and both wires were on one terminal of the indicator. Checking the indicator with an ohm meter found it to be open. The 12 ga wire had only had about three strands that weren't seriously weathered. That explained why the glow plugs used to take forever to heat up.

One butt splice crimped onto the wire allowed voltage to the glow plugs. about eight seconds with the switch at the glow position and the tractor started, better than it ever had when cold. If the butt splice comes loose, I will solder and tape the splice.

I put everything back together, it works now. I will get an indicator when funds aren't quite so tight.

Some fixes are simple, some cost lots of money.

Robert