Getting worried about my purchase.

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Every time I check in here, half or more of the new post are about something wrong with a Kubota. I'm sure all brands have issues, it just caught my attention, I'm not accustomed to spending this much money and hope mine hold's up, and everyone else's luck improves.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Every time I check in here, half or more of the new post are about something wrong with a Kubota. I'm sure all brands have issues, it just caught my attention, I'm not accustomed to spending this much money and hope mine hold's up, and everyone else's luck improves.

Well Jay - let me ease your mind a bit .....:)

Bad news travels light speed - good news crawls if it moves at all.;)

People bitch 99.9% more than they praise also.

If you take out DPF issues, user error and just bad luck, I think you will find a new machine to be almost perfect - and if not, that is what the dealer is for.

I too was worried about dropping 20 large on a tractor I did NOT need, but hell - I wished I had done it earlier in my life - would have saved a lot of hurting backs and legs and the brain would have been saved too!

As I tell my kids in class - "Dont worry about the mule going blind - load the wagon!"

Get the machine - use the machine and enjoy it!;):)

Reactions: 1 users

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It is very rare that someone will post something complimentary on the Internet...especially in a forum that has "Repair" in the title. With the large number of members across the nation, there are bound to be posts about problems.

There are going to be some minor and niggling issues with any purchase of a complex piece of machinery...like a tractor.

While I'd estimate 50% of the posts are actual problems, the other 50% are due to operator error or misuse. That reduces your "half" number to 25%.

My suggestion would be to use the "problem" posts to help be aware of the performance of your tractor and what to look out for. Then just continue to enjoy the tractoring experience until something really stands out.

Then post it on here, get the fix, and back to the pasture you go.

blktipton

Dec 22, 2015
US
I don't know which Kubota your purchasing, but I can tell you I have an l2501 with zero issues. Granted, it only has 25 hours but I have been very happy with it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
jay2, my comment would be for you to completely familiarize yourself with your machine.

Talk to the dealer sales and service folks. Read your owners manual. Purchase a Work Shop Manual. Oh ya, it will cost a hundred bucks, but it will tell you everything the shop mechanic has access to, except experience!

Many folks who come to this and other forums are looking for any information they can find about their machine. Some are just looking for a place to hang out, and maybe learn or contribute.

Many of the situations folks are looking for answers are first time posters, who are not familiar with their machine, don't bother to do a search at this forum before they ask a question.... It's just easy to say, "What's my problem, hope it doesn't cost much?"

Some folks are just "worry warts". They have to find something wrong with everything they own, or they're not comfortable in their own skin.

Get knowledge. Quit worrying. Don't go on assumptions.

As a personal situation. I bought my first Kubota in 1980. Dealer delivered it and went over details. I purchased ALL the manuals, including the loader. Paid $4500 for it with a belly mower. Sold it 26 years later for $3200 with 1300 hours on the clock. I did oil changes with filters and fuel filter changes. Replace the clutch one time (and that was "operator misuse"!)

I've got another one I bought in 1985...still trying to wear it out. Nothing but oil and fuel maintenance.

Once again, deal in the truth...not hearsay, or superficial problems.

Last edited:

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
What they said!

I have posted with some questions, not really problems, but first time tractor owner lack of background type questions. I am ready to do 50 hour service on my MX4800 with zero issues to report.

I could not be happier with my purchase!

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I've got just over 400 hours in 4 years on my BX25. (Finally paid off this past February) I've done all required maintenance & have not had a single problem. Knock on wood! Wow, time really flies when you get older. I did once have a flat front tire, but it had a long thorn in it. I pulled it, plugged it, & slimed it----no more flat since.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
This is OTT, we come here for advise, ideas, and help. On a weekend or after hours it's often the only place some of us have to get help from someone with tractor knowledge. There are some here with a lot of tractor experience and knowledge and a lot of us with little experience or knowledge and we often need help.

There have been some recent failures of relatively new equipment. When you study failure rates especially of complex equipment, there is a higher incidence of initial failures. This is followed by a long period of few failures. Finally followed by a period of higher failures at end of life. A good dealer should quickly and satisfactorily deal with the initial failures and get the equipment running.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Got a BX2230 with close to 500 hours on it and absolutely love that tractor.. even for the amount of money it's was a good deal compared to what older era tractors sold for, considering inflation.

The 2230 is a smaller tractor I bought to replace an aging Gilson tractor from the early 1970 era.. The Gilson was a $2600.00 tractor in 1970 that with inflation would be close to $16,000 dollars today..

The 2230 with it's 22hp diesel, hydrostatic transmission, heavy built frame far more tractor than earlier era stuff.

ironpony

Equipment
B7100
Mar 4, 2016
Lancaster Ohio
yes most forums for vehicles, equipment etc contain more complaints than compliments. Human nature. If you follow along on some forums you find a pattern off "self inflicted" problems.

Knott

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2015 BX2670-1, BX2755HD Snow Blower, Farmking 4' box Blade, BX 2760A Plow Blade
Jun 2, 2015
Manitoba
Unfortunately most problems are between the seat & the steering wheel. People refuse to read & understand the operator's manual & don't know how to properly operate the tractor. Then they blame the tractor for the problem. This is an unfortunate truth with many new tractor owners.
Don't blame the tool when the operator is incompetent.
This is not pointed at anyone, it is a general observation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Unfortunately most problems are between the seat & the steering wheel. People refuse to read & understand the operator's manual & don't know how to properly operate the tractor.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Having worked with technology and computers for a few decades have a couple of terms for this:
PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
RTFM -Read The F'ing Manual

Maybe we need

PISTON - Problem In Seat, Tractor Operation Normal

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Usually when the epa or guberment change a specification or mandate on something, there is a mad dash for vendors and manufacturers to meet a deadline. So they end up outsourcing parts from manufacturers they don't normally use and current manufacturers have to ramp up production.

This usually leads to quality control issues and increased failure rates. And it's not just tractors. It also pertains to vehicles, household appliances, electronics, ect... :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
There are a ton of Kubotas out there. They are a very popular tractor. If you don't believe me, take a look at how many Kubotas are for sale on Tractorhouse.com. It is just a numbers game. A certain percent are going to have issues at any given time. 10% of 1000 isn't that big of a number, but 10% of 100,000 is. It might seem like Kubotas have more issues than the others. It just seems that way, because there are so many of them in use.

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Our closest real tractor dealer in my area within say 30 miles is a john deere dealer selling the smaller similar to the kubota bx series to the larger M series. But here is the catch that everyone i know around me it is rare to see a john deere tractor in use or for sale. When the owner heard that lowes was going to be selling the lawn mowers he refused to work on them. Also seems he has same tractors for sale From 2008 as new still. So dealer attitude makes a difference. But guess what the most popular brand that is owned and used near me the L series with back hoes and there are at least 2 I know of with 3 miles of my house. A friend also owns a bx25d to use on their small farm. So kubota is a popular brand considering the nearest dealer is at least 90 miles away for parts for kubotas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
jay2
To help ease your mind you could entertain the idea of reading other Brand(color) forums to note the problems other brands are experiencing. My '11 M7040 is approaching 1300 hrs of use with no problems so far.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
It's the nature of a "Forum". The vast majority of the people come here to solve a problem. SO... it follows that the majority of the posts will look negative.

With that said... you have to read the posts, and use your own judgment. If you see the same problem, over and over... OR... if there is a critical, and expensive problem that comes up... then you have some thing to worry about. BUT... from what I've seen here... it's random, or as other's have said... bad luck/user error issues.

Buy your Kubota, and don't worry. :D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Don't get excited about something that might happen because of something you've read on a tractor forum like this. Membership on these forums is only a small portion of owners and if you pay close attention to posters, only a few members post. Many if not most may join, research, buy and go away.

My brother and I own about eleven tractors collectively and separately and it's not likely I am going to post, "Still no problem on my BX2200, BX2660, L5740, M8540." And on OTT, I'm sure not going to say, "Still no problem on my or man I'm having trouble with John Deere, Kioti, Case Massey Ferguson etc..."

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
A local equipment rental place has a wide variety of item including 2 Kubota's. One usually has a tiller and the other has rear cutter or blade. These are both run by the public which is the worst case scenario and he has had basically no equipment related problems. That is the main reason I bought my Kubota when I had the chance.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
An interesting note. This thread is one day old, and this is post #20.

Go to any other forum you choose and ask a question and see what happens in one day!

I've posted question on other forums fairly recently and have never gotten a response.

My point is, if you do have a problem with a Kubota tractor, implement or other attachment and you come here and ask a question in a cordial, respectful manner you'll probably have an answer quickly.