Getting rid of BAMBOO

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Aside of a herd of Pandas or a dozer or thermonuclear interaction,, does any one know how to get rid of this stuff,,, the patch is WAY to big to dig and pull roots,, something just short of agent orange is what I need,, any ideas???

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
dozer would be best!! but seriously, that stuff spreads by the root growth and will grow through anything short of solid rock. It can even split that! I would think dug out and then sprayed too. really hard to get rid of some of the varieties.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
dozer would be best!!
Kytim is right! Bamboo has roots which keep the energy and can stayy in the ground while you try to get rid of the plants. The root is also growing long way's and you can get another bamboo-field several yards away. You need to kill it. You need to clean the soil up to 3 feet deep!! Or you burn it with a big fire so the soil will get heaten up... :D
Having wild bamboo is no fun! :(

der carl

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
When I visited Jamaica there were bamboo shoots burning in the forests all the time. They told me they burn the bamboo and it's provokes a survival reaction and it grows even faster and farther out than normal. That may just be their strain though.

There that's all I know about bamboo!

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
University of Florida says Imazapyr (Arsenal) or Glyphosate (Roundup). But there are no products actually "labeled" for bamboo control in the US. Would be better from a "legal" herbicide application standpoint if there were at least a labeled target weed growing in with it.

Last edited:

Brick

Equipment
B7100DT, rotary mower, box scraper, rototiller
Apr 21, 2012
California
10 years ago I had a bunch of Bamboo on my property. The area was about 10' x 20'. I don't know what kind of Bamboo it was. I took a chain saw and cut the Bamboo at the base and hauled it off to the dump/recycling. I then rented a stump grinder to grind down the roots about 6"-8" deep. The Bamboo never came back.

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Yes it would, unless the OP desired to replant the area this year. If I was inclined to spray bamboo i would use "crossbow." While similar, it is designed for more bushy shrub undergrowth instead of grasses.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Regular Roundup does not have any have any residual activity in the soil. You can plant a new "crop" in an area treated with roundup immediately after application. Crossbow is a selective broadleaf herbicide, bamboo is a grass, won't work (except maybe at insanely high rates, which would be "off label").There is a new Roundup product available that is a pre-mix that includes a residual (actually two, Imazapac and Diquat). Things WILL STAY dead there if you use that product.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ortho Ground Clear is the way to go, kills EVERYTHING dead for a year. Best off the shelf chemical I buy to treat my lawns with.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
Aside of a herd of Pandas or a dozer or thermonuclear interaction,, does any one know how to get rid of this stuff,,, the patch is WAY to big to dig and pull roots,, something just short of agent orange is what I need,, any ideas???

Roundup will not eradicate bamboo. Ortho liquid crab grass and weed killer will do it. I learned that when I used to own and run a landscape company.

Point in fact, when using roundup on bamboo they turn their shiny new heads up, look at you and say thanks for the fertilizer. ;)

Seriously though, the Ortho will kill it all the way down to the roots tips.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Which ever liquid chemical you plan to use, do yourself a huge favor and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! I'm sittin here now at the Lowe's website as I type this and I am reading the reviews on Ortho Ground Clear which is what I use and those stupid idiots can seem to follow instructions! The instructions on the lable are put there in place for a reason and tell you how to use the chemical correctly.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
Which ever liquid chemical you plan to use, do yourself a huge favor and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! I'm sittin here now at the Lowe's website as I type this and I am reading the reviews on Ortho Ground Clear which is what I use and those stupid idiots can seem to follow instructions! The instructions on the lable are put there in place for a reason and tell you how to use the chemical correctly.
Eric is 110% right. Since I do read directions I just take it that everyone else is smart enough to read the instruction,which is a big mistake on my part, when in fact too may people do not read them. All of these chemicals we are talking about are highly poisonous to humans also, chemical burns, blindness respiratory problems and even death to you, animals or pets. So read them and also wear protective clothing and breathing apparatus, which are both very useful when it comes to smart handling!!

Do it right and you will be successful and happy.

JohnL

Equipment
1984 B7100HST
Jan 9, 2011
Grand Isle. VT
I had about a 12 x 12 patch on my property and tried everything like you did. I finally put chlorox bleach in a garden sprayer and began hitting the leaves. The leaves began to turn yellow then brown. Keep the leaves in this condition and they can provide energy to the roots. Two years and the stuff is gone.

Don't spray until you have a few days of dry weather after spraying. Be careful only to hit the leaves. I let very little fall to the ground. If you are careful, it's about the safest thing I found. The object is to spray often and with a light mist spray.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I had about a 12 x 12 patch on my property and tried everything like you did. I finally put chlorox bleach in a garden sprayer and began hitting the leaves. The leaves began to turn yellow then brown. Keep the leaves in this condition and they can provide energy to the roots. Two years and the stuff is gone.

Don't spray until you have a few days of dry weather after spraying. Be careful only to hit the leaves. I let very little fall to the ground. If you are careful, it's about the safest thing I found. The object is to spray often and with a light mist spray.
A 12' x 12' is a very small patch to deal with and using bleach is a viable method for small areas and for people that have the time to keep reapplying and if you want to wait 2 years for it to work.

Many people don't have the luxury of time to keep reapplying to a small area or to wait 2 YEARS. Do you want to do that if you have a 1/2 acre to deal with? Most likely, NOT, and the one and done method wile using safe protocols is what busy folks with a fair sized area, like most of us have the time and patients to do!!

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
While there are several folks that have obviously fought Bamboo, there are apparently several solutions for its eradication. we can all agree that its a difficult beast that demands due diligence to solve it in our varying landscapes. Not all of our properties are alike.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've heard bamboo can be quite ruthless on equipment. It's not match for tractor tires and hydrulic hose lines either. So if you choose to use heave equipment becareful not to tear your toys up playing with bamboo.

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
My father spent the last 15 years of his life trying to eradicate a patch of Japanese Knotweed (AKA bamboo). He pulled it up. He burned it over. He covered it with second hand metal roofing. When he died, there was more than when he started. I do not beleive it can be stopped without careful application of the proper herbicide.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Talking to a buddy of mine this afternoon for a brief moment. I had asked him what he does to get rid of bamboo. He own's a tree removal and excavation company. He told me when he has to remove bamboo he has to dig down a foot and a half to two feet in the ground to get the entire root system out. Also said if its in a neighboring yard that a concrete wall must be built to seperate the yards and to keep the bamboo under control.