Gator blades for BX1880

c5ac5b9

Jan 14, 2018
Urbana, Ohio
I'm thinking about updating the blades on my 2017 BX1880 with 54" deck. Blades are 18 5/8 long and the center hole appears to be 7/8. Question is what Gator blades do you use? G6, G3, etc.? has anyone put them on their BX ##80, and do you like it? Where did you buy them?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Not on a BX, but I run the G6 blades on my ZD mowers. They are the best blades I have ever used. Great cut, heavy duty, and they maintain the edge.
As far as G3,5,6 I believe G3 does not have the treated edge. Both G5 and G6 have the treated edge, with the G6 being slightly heavier duty overall (width and thickness).
I have the Oregon part numbers and buy them on Ebay. I did make the mistake of buying them by dimension once, and discovered the seller did not know how to measure mower blades so I would recommend going by oem part number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I used gator blades on my old BX23 (RCK60-22BX deck) and they worked great. I did have to use a spacer (bushing) because of the odd shaft size. I believe I cut my own. In any event, they were very good blades and produced a quality cut. I can't remember what what gator number they were.

c5ac5b9

Jan 14, 2018
Urbana, Ohio
I believe the G6 blade is 396-812 for the BX 54” MMM deck. I just contacted a mower parts guy on eBay and he stated the same. Just ordered them on eBay and will post after they arrive and I install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c5ac5b9

Jan 14, 2018
Urbana, Ohio
OK, the blades arrived, installed and tested today. They work great. This link to Ebay is what I used on my BX1880, 54" MMM deck. I torqued them to 80 ftlbs. It was an experience, as the BX is new to me and this was the first time I took off the deck and put it back on. Now I know that I can do it better next time. Taking it off, I forgot to disengage the PTO, that was fun. On a flat surface, that deck slides like butter on hot toast, so you don't need to turn the wheels. 396-812 is the Oregon number for the G6 blades that I installed in case the Ebay link disappears. Price was $52.99 for three blades, free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Oregon-3...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I’ve used them on my ZD326 and they work well and lasted twice as long as the OEM high lift blades (I’ve got sandy soil so blades get sandblasted). My only complaint was they don’t throw the cuttings as far, it left more clumps of grass, and my deck got gummed/clogged up faster. I’ve gone back to the high lift blades.

c5ac5b9

Jan 14, 2018
Urbana, Ohio
I’ve used them on my ZD326 and they work well and lasted twice as long as the OEM high lift blades (I’ve got sandy soil so blades get sandblasted). My only complaint was they don’t throw the cuttings as far, it left more clumps of grass, and my deck got gummed/clogged up faster. I’ve gone back to the high lift blades.
Mikester,
I’ll report back as I get more experience on these blades.

c5ac5b9

Jan 14, 2018
Urbana, Ohio
OK, today it was 50 degrees and our front yard was full of leaves and pine cones from the previous that did not do lawn maintanence in the fall. Now there are zero leaves and no pine cones in the lawn. These G6 blades turned them to dust. Incredible what this BX1880 does with these G6 blades. The real test with grass will take several weeks, as we are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. Love this orange tractor!!

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
OK, today it was 50 degrees and our front yard was full of leaves and pine cones from the previous that did not do lawn maintanence in the fall. Now there are zero leaves and no pine cones in the lawn. These G6 blades turned them to dust. Incredible what this BX1880 does with these G6 blades. The real test with grass will take several weeks, as we are expecting snow tonight and tomorrow. Love this orange tractor!!
Do you have the mulch kit on your 1880? I do and am wondering if the gator blades would lift better?
Thanks,
Jeff