Garden question

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Just an update on her garden. We have been gone the past 9 out of 14 days traveling. We got back into town last night and checked on her garden this morning, gone 4 days back to work for a few then gone again for 5. We left last Wednesday and her garden is considerably bigger now. While we were gone the area had around 5" of rain which I would assume help the situation because she came home to 20 or so cucumbers and one crooked neck squash. Now as you will see the cucumbers are very long and thin.?? I told her as long as they taste good who cares. Another thing that I noticed was the presence of honey bees. There were quite a few buzzing around as we were going thru what is now a bit of a jungle, I had not noticed any in her garden at all before. They have been buzzing around mine for awhile but like I said hadn't seen the first one in hers until this morning. I have to assume they will help with pollination. Any way I'll attach a couple pics so you can see the difference from the first photos and what it looks like today. Along with a pic of her harvest.

Last August she started a "life style change" where she eats mostly vegetables and non processed foods and she has done a fantastic job sticking to it. So she was very excited about growing her own vegetables. Needless to say she had been disappointed in this years results. On top of that her garden did great last year. She gets an update thru FB showing what happened this day last year and a lot of it has been how well her garden was doing. So it was kind of a slap in the face daily. Hopefully it will start producing, if for any reason just to brighten her day.

Attachments

WingNut

Equipment
L2850 Kubota c/w Loader
Feb 29, 2012
Northern Ontario
I admit that I didn't read through all responses but to me it sounds like a germination problem.

The plants are bigger and healthier but no fruit.

Perhaps there are no bugs or bees to complete the germination process.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Lots of bees in hers as of this morning.

Just got home and here is what I harvested out if my garden.

Attachments

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I think you mean 'pollination' rather than germination. Certainly a possibility. Bees are in a huge decline as you probably know and it could be the flowers just weren't being pollinated.

It sounds like you are both on your way. if it's producing, don't screw with it. :) If there don't seem to be bees, you can pollinate yourself - cukes and zuccs and such. Pick a flower and waggle it in the other flowers to leave some pollen. Both of you can do it together and see if romance develops. :p

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Pick a flower and waggle it in the other flowers

Ahhh man its a good thing this is a family show,,,lol

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As long as there are bees, it must mean there are many flowers there for them to pollinate? Poke around in there to see, but they're obviously attracted to something......

If so, you're good to go!

Hindsight, I should have asked if there were buds/flowers. My grandparent's pepper plants rarely set a bud or flower at first.

I did some FANTASTIC pan-fried potatoes yesterday with EV olive oil, garlic, onion, fresh parsley, oregano, and thyme from our herb garden. We've gotten so we just have a small herb garden. (there you don't want flowers, because they bolt)

Best wishes!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
As long as there are bees, it must mean there are many flowers there for them to pollinate? Poke around in there to see, but they're obviously attracted to something......

If so, you're good to go!

Hindsight, I should have asked if there were buds/flowers. My grandparent's pepper plants rarely set a bud or flower at first.

I did some FANTASTIC pan-fried potatoes yesterday with EV olive oil, garlic, onion, fresh parsley, oregano, and thyme from our herb garden. We've gotten so we just have a small herb garden. (there you don't want flowers, because they bolt)

Best wishes!
Your taters in the pan, sound just like the ones I do on the grill. :D I put fresh garlic, thyme, oregeno, and basil in a zip lock with ev olive oil. Chop up some taters and an onion, and throw in the bag as well. Give it a good shaking. Wrap the mix in tin foil, and grill on low for 45 minute to an hour :D