Gannon Box Blade Help

Steve A.

Equipment
L48
Nov 24, 2014
El Dorado Hills, CA. USA
I posted this on the TBN site and as was suggested am doing so here.

Just bought a old Gannon Rollover box blade to put on my L48. I purchased the L48 with a backhoe attached and as it turns out the 3 pt hitch was never used by the previous owner(s) so a learning curve to detach the backhoe and attach the 3 pt hitch and box blade was involved. Anyway, my son and I got it done. Much to my surprise the box raises and lowers very slowly, even after adjusting the lowering speed knob under the drivers seat. The up down position control lever is very tight and difficult to move. On to my questions. Is the up down position control lever supposed to be stiff? Are there any lubrication points that need attention? …..OR... do I have the top link, lift rods etc. out of adjustment?
Is there a formula for the 3 pt setup? I've attached 2 images, One with the box down and one with the box up.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On the control arm it self, there is a double nut or nut with washers that holds it in place. Friction hold the arm in place. So it should just need to be loosened just a smidgen to make it easier to move. Not sure about the up and down speed on that unit.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
What was your rpm? The pump runs at motor rpm, so if rpm is low, things move slowly. With the 3 point, that only affects "up". And you said you tried adjusting the down speed valve to no effect, so I doubt that's it, but the possibility is something that crossed my mind.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
First,that an interesting box blade, i like the way it flips.
Maybe with some use it will loosen up,probably never really used until now.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Regarding the performance of the 3 point lift system...

Not certain about your TLB but mine (earlier similar 'dedicated' model) has a push-pull control behind the operator's seat (standing at the rear on the ground looking forward, on the right) that changes the hydraulic flow from 'backhoe' mode to '3 point mode'.

Not certain which way on yours ('in' or 'out') would be the proper set for 3 point use. Consult your Owner's Manual---may be in the 'Backhoe' [unit] Owner's Manual not the 'Tractor' Owner's Manual.

If you don't have the specific push-pull, I bet there's some sort of control or valve that will accomplish the same mangement of hydraulic flow.

Also, when the hoe is removed, remember to plug the hoe-specific hydraulic fluid line(s) (one end 'to' the hoe, the other end 'from') together so the flow loops back into the tractor as it bypasses the hoe's valve control bank.

I suspect you're going to find that the changeover from backhoe to 3 point is such a royal PiA you elect to leave it one or the other--probably backhoe. The hoe itself comes on and off pretty easily, but rigging and de-rigging all the 3 point gets old fast.

We quickly found it was worthwhile in our operation to simply have a second tractor that handles all the "3 point" type work and leave the TLB set up with and for 'backhoe'. Otherwise we couldn't get anything accomplished due to the time spent changing implements.

Maintain control over the 3 point linkage parts as having them will increase the resale of the machine someday and / or prevent you having to track down a used set (nonexistant) or buying from the dealer replacments (phenominally expensive to the tune of couple thousand bucks).

With all that considered, our orange TLB has become our 'go to' machine; probably the handiest piece of iron on the place.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Steve A.

Equipment
L48
Nov 24, 2014
El Dorado Hills, CA. USA
Stubbyie,

First off let me compliment all the individuals who take the time to share their knowledge and thoughts. My son and I are new to this tractor owners group with no real life experience so all information is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you are correct, removing the backhoe (our 1st time to do so) was fairly straight forward, we did take our time and the 3pt control valves push-pull control behind the operator's seat (standing at the rear on the ground looking forward, on the right) that changes the hydraulic flow from 'backhoe' mode to '3 point mode' made it simple to switch the hydraulics.

Attaching the 3pt. assembly (also our 1st time to do so) was more time consuming as it had never been removed from it's factory stored position and making the adjustments to attach the old/new box blade was also a learning experience.

Much to my surprise removing the box blade was easy but reinstalling the backhoe (also our 1st time to do so) was a real chore.

You are right on with this statement.
***8221;I suspect you're going to find that the changeover from backhoe to 3 point is such a royal PiA you elect to leave it one or the other--probably backhoe. The hoe itself comes on and off pretty easily, but rigging and de-rigging all the 3 point gets old fast.***8221;

If it was up to me I'd leave the box blade attached but my son wants the backhoe on because it's harder to find a weather tight place to store it. The box blade sits out in the weather as is has for many years prior to our purchasing it.

I can only conclude that my original post complaining about the effort used to raise and lower the 3pt. is because I thought the controls would be similar to the Fel which is very easy and smooth.