G5200 belts not fitting

lnwilcoxson

Equipment
G5200 B6000e, rear blade, mower deck, plow
Jun 27, 2017
Edgerton, MO
The deck belt broke on my recently acquired G5200. No problem I thought. Searched a few threads found a gates cross reference part # and bought the belt also bought the two front drive belts figuring I'd replace them all and start out with new. The deck is a RC48-G. Multiple threads suggested a gates 6845 belt. This belt was too long, it was long enough the tensioner allowed the belt to rub itself just to take up slack. A 2" shorter belt was required. Same situation on the deck drive belts 6831 was recommended, 6829 worked. Is it possible PO changed pulleys, or is there that much manufacturing variation in belts?

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Actually measuring an original belt and comparing to replacement belt is the best solution. I find almost every belt cross-over isnt worth the paper its written on. Just went through it with a grasshopper belt. Looked up oe replacement and changed it over to dayco. Should have taken it with when i went to get new one. With my parts experience i should have known better.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I assume you are getting your belts here ==> http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com

The twin PTO belts for your tractor are here ==> http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/Kubota 66021-25080--kubota-66021-25080-v-belt-set-of-2.html

When attempting to replace belt with NON-OEM, you need to fully understand what your are replacing. Belts are NOT just a specific length.

Also consider
*) Top width
*) Outside length (Your G5200 uses METRIC-length belts!!)
*) Angle of Vee
*) Material
*) Diameter of pullies it has to go around? (smaller pullies causes VEE to change angle)
*) Is there a tensioner touching the BACKSIDE of the belt? (This requires specific type of belt)

If you are not willing (or able) to satisfy ALL the above... it is often better to simply get the proper belt which the manufacturer sells.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The deck belt broke on my recently acquired G5200. No problem I thought. Searched a few threads found a gates cross reference part # and bought the belt also bought the two front drive belts figuring I'd replace them all and start out with new. The deck is a RC48-G. Multiple threads suggested a gates 6845 belt. This belt was too long, it was long enough the tensioner allowed the belt to rub itself just to take up slack. A 2" shorter belt was required. Same situation on the deck drive belts 6831 was recommended, 6829 worked. Is it possible PO changed pulleys, or is there that much manufacturing variation in belts?
I don't know the specific belt number you mention. The type of reinforcement cord in the belt is very important for durability.

My example would be a Gates belt for a 72" landpride mower deck.

A Gates B158 fits fine. It is 158" long measured on the inside of the belt or 161" measure around the outside.

A Gates BP158 is exactly the same dimensions but is one of their Predator series of belts with a much higher strength reinforcement made of Kevlar. Its Gates part number is: 9186-0158.

The B or BP number of the belts is one other manufactures use so a Dayco supplier can use the BP158 and provide you with the same belt.

The other numbers are more for internal stock keeping and costing and are not much help when seeking an alternative.

I do not believe equipment manufacturers make their own belts. If they need a large enough quantity, belt manufacturers will build one to the equipment manufacturers spec. Fine for a $200,000 Mercedes, likely the tractor manufacture is happy with a stock belt for cost reasons.

Dave M7040

Last edited:

lnwilcoxson

Equipment
G5200 B6000e, rear blade, mower deck, plow
Jun 27, 2017
Edgerton, MO
Thank you all for the great input, I think i'll bite the bullet next time and just order oem belts

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thank you all for the great input, I think i'll bite the bullet next time and just order oem belts
The time to start looking for a cheaper replacement is when you are holding a brand new factory belt rather than some torn up broken old belt.

Then you will know if there will be a cheap replacement for the next time which will happen.

Dave M7040